Where are y'all getting your mahogany these days

Robert Parker

Reaction score
Been a while since I bought any mahogany thick enough for a neck or body. I'm curious where folks in the US are getting theirs lately. I know prices have been going up as various sources are depleting. I don't need much but a couple neck blanks and body blanks.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
Gilmer is typically a reliable source. Also, I’v seen quite a bit of decent stuff on eBay from Shabby Chic Guitars. I’ve had success on occasion getting planks wide enough to do 2-pc bodies from Bell Forest. If you’re near a Rockler, they typically have long boards you can use for either, as well. You just have to joint them.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gilmer is good.

I buy mine from a hardwoods yard a few hours drive away.

Rockler is very pricey (compared to hardwoods lumber yards) on the 8/4 lumber, but well-priced on fret board wood.

Rockler is also a great deal on 4A flamed maple suitable for fender-style necks.

Brewdude

Reaction score
I'll second what has been suggested already, bought a lot of stuff from Shabby Chic Guitars on ebay and they get a lot of good quality stuff, I've heard good things of Gilmer but haven't bought from them yet.

I'll add another recommendation of North Ridge Hardwoods, they're in the PNW so depending where you are shipping can be a little more pricey but they have a good selection of mahogany and maple (and others). They have an ebay store as well with pictures of blanks but will usually send you pictures to choose from if you email,

mistermikev

Reaction score
I typically just buy khaya mahog locally and mill it myself but recently was over at one of my fav haunts for top wood and saw they have some nice honduran for reasonable price:
have been thinking about snagging a piece and doing something special but am halfway in on a current build so if you do snag some please lmk how it is.

Robert Parker

Reaction score
I bought a piece from Shabby Chic. Thanks for the reference. I'll post back when I get it.

Robert Parker

Reaction score
I bought a piece from Shabby Chic. Thanks for the reference. I'll post back when I get it.
...and it is indeed a real nice board. 32x4x1.5". Very straight grain, no runout, quarter sawn. And for $38 delivered. Definitely a big thanks to those who mentioned Shabby Chic.

ARandall

Reaction score
Those dimensions are not sufficient for 1 piece LP neck as is....is this going to be for the Studio lite that you were enquiring about a repair/replace for??

Robert Parker

Reaction score
Those dimensions are not sufficient for 1 piece LP neck as is....is this going to be for the Studio lite that you were enquiring about a repair/replace for??
Yeah, it is for that guitar. But I will be doing a scarf jointed headstock. Since I've had it for 25 years and have no intention of selling, I'm much more interested in a really stable neck than I am in keeping it "kosher."

ARandall

Reaction score
Thats ok.....just wanted to make sure you'd not somehow made a mistake in your choosing of a bit of wood.

Latest Threads