Where are all the good villains?

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
View attachment 573747
There’s no place for vigilantes in the American Justice system.
Batman, Punisher, etc are fine ... as long as they only exist in fiction. Because in fiction, they NEVER go after the wrong guy, the innocent guy. In real life, it would be a shit storm. It's a fantasy story where good always wins and evil always loses.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Batman, Punisher, etc are fine ... as long as they only exist in fiction. Because in fiction, they NEVER go after the wrong guy, the innocent guy. In real life, it would be a shit storm. It's a fantasy story where good always wins and evil always loses.
I’m just saying that if we’re gonna say the word “hero”, we should think about it first.

I’ll add that I think vigilante characters are an extension of the writer’s frustration with criminals never seeming to get their comeuppance in real life, so they write a fantasy where some guy strikes the same terror into the bad guys as the bad guys effect upon the good guys.
Writing is their only shot at vengeance.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 573581

If you haven't seen it, you should watch No Country For Old Men, Anton Chigurh is a fantastic villian.
That actor did an amazing job in No country for old men, stone cold killer, not so much in the bond film though, although that maybe more Mendes fault than the actors.

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still hate Joaquin Phoenix in everything he's in because he was such a good villain in Gladiator. I know the movie is 20 years old now, but he was a great villain.
Yeah, I had a disconnect about that, I know very few actors real names, just their screen performance is what i remember if its good. Did not link the joker actor to the gladiator baddie at all till very recently. lol.

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That actor did an amazing job in No country for old men, stone cold killer, not so much in the bond film though, although that maybe more Mendes fault than the actors.
I caught shit for saying the same thing. In Country he was almost a force of nature, like trying to stop a tornado. In Bond it was like the villain de jour.

Latest Threads