Where are all of the “affordable” Reissues

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A common recommendation I see when people have $3000 to spend on a Les Paul, is “buy a R7, R8, or G0.” Members here seem to say that with quite confidence, as if there is an abundance of these models in the sub $3k range. Me personally, I’m not seeing it. There, apparently, was a time when G0s could be had all day long for $2500 or less. And spending more than $2800 on a decent R8 was sacrilege. Maybe the market has changed dramatically, but I’m not seeing any solid Reissues (with COAs) for under $3k. Are those days temporarily gone? Just curious. I’ve strongly considered picking up a nice G0, but most of them are well above $3k. Thoughts?

mfoster

Reaction score
I agree. Seems like the used Gibson Les Paul market has gone up $500-1000 this year. Doesn't matter the model or year. I've also noticed that with the Reissues. Not long ago norlins were going for 1500-2500....
Hopefully prices will correct back to reality in the next year or two. Everything is currently over-priced.

Good year to sell.

kakerlak

Reaction score
My question is whether these are selling at those prices. For several years, things were pretty static, with decent, non-TH R4/6/7 and absolutely plain R8s selling around $2.5-2.7k, with figured R8s ranging from $2.8-3.2k, depending on how figured. R9s starting around $3k.

This year has a ton of weird factors. Lots of folks out of work and struggling, yet also lots of them working from home, with more free time than ever and actually saving money over their previous lifestyle. The stimulus checks were a straight up bonus to those folks -- I spent ours on a new couch and range. Funny thing is I've hardly been playing at all, but my wife and I were homebodies anyway, so life hasn't been much different. Also gotta figure in person sales are down to record lows, so that's probably a factor, too.

simon connor

Reaction score
I have a friend who manages a guitar shop that sells used and vintage gear, and he says that in the pandemic era their stuff is flying off the shelves. His thought is that people are stuck at home and kind of indulging their hobbies because they don’t have anything else to do. Maybe that would account for the jump in prices, ie, demand has increased dramatically and that has driven prices up. Whether prices will go back down when this is over is anybody’s guess.

questionman

Reaction score
I noticed this too when I went to buy my R9. I was looking around 2012-2013 for a LP, and saw a lot of R8, R0s for the 2500-2800 mark, some great looking ones too. But I couldnt afford it back then so I dropped $1500 on a 1982 Standard. I would love a 2nd 82 but I very rarely see them for under 3K, and the reissues I saw all were above 3500. Price hike on some stuff ok, but seems like Gibsons across the board went up drastically. And if you do find a good deal they are gone in hours. Locally I have even seen some cheap tribute models listed for as high as $1500, and a studio plus recently sold for close to 2K

BDW60

Reaction score
I have no desire to sell, but I wouldn’t let go of my not-plain-at-all 2019 R8 V2 for less than 3,400 to me. It’s a great historic. And how is $1K more than a new USA Standard not a good deal? You guys think a used historic should just be a few bucks more than a new USA?

I don’t get it.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys think a used historic should just be a few bucks more than a new USA?

I don’t get it.
You’re missing the point. Nobody said anything should be just a few bucks more than a new USA. The point was that just up until recently, solid R7, R8, G0 reissues were selling in the sub $3000 range. And now, Studios are selling in the range of what Traditionals sold for. Used to be, I couldn’t get much more than $1350 for a minty Traditional. My last R8 sold for $2750 and that was a struggle. Nobody expects you to “get” the used Gibson market, so no worries.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm on the fence with selling my 2010 R9. I'd like to clear $3,500, but I just don't know how realistic that is. I've considered selling it here in the Classifieds, OR sending it to Mark's GL. Neck at the 1st is .92ish and just too beefy for me.

@jstarr823 you did not mention R9s in your original post. Is that because you feel that it's nearly impossible to get one for $3k?

My other thing is, why are the 90-92 Prehistorics so pricey? It's not at all uncommon to see one for more than a later "R"

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who manages a guitar shop that sells used and vintage gear, and he says that in the pandemic era their stuff is flying off the shelves. His thought is that people are stuck at home and kind of indulging their hobbies because they don’t have anything else to do. Maybe that would account for the jump in prices, ie, demand has increased dramatically and that has driven prices up. Whether prices will go back down when this is over is anybody’s guess.
My Guitar Shop guy said something similar: that guitars are flying off the racks. We're pretty poor here in southern NM, so we don't have any stores (that I'm aware of) that specialize in higher-end vintage/used gear. We have one that specializes in used gear, but I doubt he has Historics or Reissues (owner smokes in the shop, so I never go in anymore)

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm on the fence with selling my 2010 R9. I'd like to clear $3,500, but I just don't know how realistic that is. I've considered selling it here in the Classifieds, OR sending it to Mark's GL. Neck at the 1st is .92ish and just too beefy for me.

@jstarr823 you did not mention R9s in your original post. Is that because you feel that it's nearly impossible to get one for $3k?

My other thing is, why are the 90-92 Prehistorics so pricey? It's not at all uncommon to see one for more than a later "R"
I’ve mostly been looking at G0/R0s. Don’t have much experience with the other Reissues... other than R8s. I had a chance to score a newer R7 Goldtop a few months back for $2700, but those always seem to be available around that price.

I suppose it’s just a matter of waiting for the right guitar at the right price... and be ready to pounce. Every time I’m in the market, it seems dry.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I’ve seen people comment often that you can find a decent R7 for well under 3k.. the rare instance it does happen it’s in pretty rough shape..

Plus it doesn’t help that sellers on reverb look at 7.5%-8% premium to sell their guitar plus shipping.. on a $3500 guitar sale they will lose $250 right off the top because of fees. On a 5k guitar that’s nearly $400.. sucks. So ya have sellers raising their prices to compensate and buyers shootin low because now they have to factor in taxes.. it’s crappy situation for both parties..

Even before the hike ive had the same experience as you though... these $3k R9s and $2K R7s up and vanished like a fart in the wind..

fleahead

Reaction score
According to MI mags, the pandemic has caused a HUGE increase in guitar sales. I was surprised to read that.

Regardless, Patty Lou ain't going anywhere in my lifetime. For no amount of moola.

Socrates

Reaction score
Saw some great deals in the Mar-Apr timeframe this year right after all the bad news came out about layoffs, markets tanked etc and everyone thought the world was going to end...but yeah by summer seems like people started buying guitars again

simon connor

Reaction score
The guy I bought my R0 from, who seems to be addicted to Les Pauls and cycles through a lot of them (and this was last October, so pre-Covid era) said it basically goes used R9s and R0s are roughly $3500, R8s are roughly $3000. In each case, if it's a plaintop, knock $500 off the price. If it's a G0 also knock $500 off. I don't know how that relates to the newer R8s and G0s that DO have flametops. Suggestion to the OP: pay close attention to the MLP classifieds - it's going to be way cheaper than Reverb - and when you see one you like the look of, jump on it. Alternately, run a classified on MLP that says "I'm looking for an R0/G0, please contact me if you have one you're interested in selling." Worth a try, right?

Last edited:

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alternately, run a classified on MLP that says "I'm looking for an R0/G0, please contact me if you have one you're interested in selling." Worth a try, right?
I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions. I've been an member here for almost a decade, so I'm kinda familiar with the classifieds. ;)

Going off your guy's comments, we could expect to see a Plaintop R8 or G0 for $2500... Which I'm telling you, ain't happening. That's the whole point of the thread. Where are they?

Last edited:

mfoster

Reaction score
Plus it doesn’t help that sellers on reverb look at 7.5%-8% premium to sell their guitar plus shipping..
That's true. However, despite that, I've actually made money this year selling guitars on Reverb. It's still, IMO, the easiest and safest place to sell guitars. Yet, the additional fees structure in no way is the reason for the insane prices used Les Pauls are going for.

BDW60

Reaction score
You’re missing the point. Nobody said anything should be just a few bucks more than a new USA. The point was that just up until recently, solid R7, R8, G0 reissues were selling in the sub $3000 range. And now, Studios are selling in the range of what Traditionals sold for. Used to be, I couldn’t get much more than $1350 for a minty Traditional. My last R8 sold for $2750 and that was a struggle. Nobody expects you to “get” the used Gibson market, so no worries.
Don’t remember seeing scads of historics sub 3K just recently. At least not here. Maybe I wasn’t looking on the same days as everyone else who recalls these screaming deals. Yes, some R7s in the high 2s but the way I recall it was when there was a nice R8 for 3K or 3,100 it got my attention. I sold a 2008 G0 probably 7-8 years ago for 2,800 with no problem.

Lots of things drive prices on luxury items. High end used golf gear has gone up percentage wise more than Les Pauls in the past year.

Latest Threads