When Women made Gibsons.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Here's a link to a story about women working in the Gibson factory and making guitars during WWII:

Author discovers women made Gibson guitars during World War II

Not a very dramatic revelation, as women did many jobs while the men were in the military in those days.

But it did get me thinking about the fact that I have never met a female luthier or guitar tech, and wondering why. Have any of you ever encountered a woman who is a luthier, guitar tech, or builder?

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a bunch of women working at Martin. I took the tour in '00 and again in '05.

I would think that Gibson is no different.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Good, as I see no reason why women would be less than excellent at this type of work. It is just suddenly I observed that the entire guitar business (from those who work at GC on up) appears male-dominated, and there is no reason it should be.

sk8rat

Reaction score
But it did get me thinking about the fact that I have never met a female luthier or guitar tech, and wondering why. Have any of you ever encountered a woman who is a luthier, guitar tech, or builder?

well, they weren't really luthiers or techs the same way people who work in auto assembly lines aren't really mechanics.

I watched a video on youtube a while back where they interviewed some of the women who worked there (so I wouldnt really call it a discovery) but I cant find it.

found the video
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z3AH7XeWXc[/ame]

Actinic

Reaction score
Abigail Ybarra is my heroine. Listen to her advice, all you budding winders.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M2a1yUmvEQ[/ame]

TheX

You're not the boss of me!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. You would think that in 2015 we'd be past this. There are women members of this forum too. *gasp*

Dolebludger

Reaction score
TheX and all.

Perhaps some of you may be misunderstanding my point of view on this. I'm a guy who is staunchly in favor of equality for all. The fact that, in the link I posted, the writer seemed surprised and Gibson saw fit to deny that women worked there both surprised and offended me. And this brought to my mind that I had observed absolutely no women in any part of the guitar business (just a personal observation), and this surprised and offended me more.

So I am pleased to see posts that confirm that women DO participate in the guitar building business, and other businesses related to guitars. I'm 110% in favor of that!:)

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
Can't remember where I read the quote about it taking a custom shop full of highly skilled artisans to recreate what a bunch of unskilled 20 something year old women did decades ago..

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
One of the more interesting things about the Shelven interview was that she got the job through her sister, who already worked there, and it seems that most of the workers in amplifier assembly were women.

Fender of course has had a largely female (and Hispanic) workforce from the start

kevinpaul

Reaction score
This blind sided me! They did make recapped tires, after a few good wrecks more more recaps. Things smelled fishy and I get it now. Tires and guitars have a very few things in common. I know woman make most of the worlds donuts, wait for the other shoe to drop!

Davio

Alchemist Extraordinaire
Reaction score
This blind sided me! They did make recapped tires, after a few good wrecks more more recaps. Things smelled fishy and I get it now. Tires and guitars have a very few things in common. I know woman make most of the worlds donuts, wait for the other shoe to drop!

A Lucille is kind of round and black! Donuts and tires are both round with a hole in the middle. Some women are all :hmm: ... (better stop while I am ahead)

Davio

Alchemist Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The binding scrapers are women and are most masterful at that delicate craft.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Dole, if you're offended, I'm outraged on your behalf. Do you hear, outraged!

How could this have been going on for so long, without us knowing?

Gotta go now... I'm off to get the #morewomenguitarbuilders campaign going on Twitter. That should fix things up a bit.

Cheers

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Heck, women built bombers, fighters, tanks, and other weapons during WWII, and apparently they were well built (we won, didn't we). No reason why women can't build fine guitars.

Recapped tires are another matter, as they are rather defective by design as the new tread tends to shred off. I don't know a tire store that will sell them for cars these days. Don't know about big trucks, however, but I sure wouldn't drive one with retreads.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I'm all for equal rights, but to say that men and woman are exactly the same (minus the obvious various "parts") is ridiculously ignorant.

Olds442

Reaction score
i'd say the women cost less, but i don't want Malikon to blow his fedora.

ahthankyouverymuch.

Latest Threads