When does Gibson announce their new lineup?

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
Ive got GAS and would prefer to purchase new. Does anyone know when they historically release new gear?

Injector

Reaction score
The Original Series doesn't have date-specific serial numbers so of they're just continuing with that series in 2021, which I presume they will be doing, the next range will be indistinguishable from the 2019 range.

MiniB

Reaction score
Personally I think their lineup (at least the 'Originals') looks pretty solid right now and for some time to follow. If I were to change/update anything, maybe some different finish options and maybe even some that are Biigsby-equipped.

Are vintage-styled Explorers and V's still part of the lineup? Would be nice to see some with larger (or medium) rounded neck profiles.

Last edited:

jbash

Reaction score
No clue upon release, but

:run:
LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN

I'd also wager some new/tweaked and dropped finishes for the Original series.

Possibly dropping some models that don't sell nearly as well (sideways vibrola SG) compared to others in the series.

And we know there's going to be a new dark back Goldtop (which IMO, looks nicer than the Originals goldtop shade) in the Slash 50S Standards.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
The Original Series doesn't have date-specific serial numbers so of they're just continuing with that series in 2021, which I presume they will be doing, the next range will be indistinguishable from the 2019 range.
Huh? The serial numbers on the original series are clearly date specific. Are you meaning something else?

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gibson no longer indicate model dates as it was common to offer new models every year.... the serial number still indicates year of manufacture.....

Not producing “new” models every year is saving production costs.

Same models with maybe new finishes but I wouldn’t expect more than that.

48BC984C-D3F5-40A4-ACAE-6FBCD67E2A64.jpeg

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Huh? The serial numbers on the original series are clearly date specific. Are you meaning something else?
Serial numbers, yes, but Gibson is no longer referring to "models" by year.
They are "Series" which happen to be made for a number of years, then changed to a new name.
Fender has been doing the same thing for a long time. New models are released, replacing older models, and they remain in the lineup for 4-6 years before being replaced again.
Serial numbers aid in determining the production date, but it's not officially a 2019/2020/2021 like a car.

My '19 Les Paul Original 60s compared to my '19 Flying V
The 2020 SG is stamped so shallow that it's impossible to make out the impression, and even the serial number is hard to read.

LPMUSA.JPG

VUSA.jpg

Last edited:

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Serial numbers, yes, but Gibson is no longer referring to "models" by year.
They are "Series" which happen to be made for a number of years, then changed to a new name.
Fender has been doing the same thing for a long time. New models are released, replacing older models, and they remain in the lineup for 4-6 years before being replaced again.
Serial numbers aid in determining the production date, but it's not officially a 2019/2020/2021 like a car.

My '19 Les Paul Original 60s compared to my '19 Flying V
The 2020 SG is stamped so shallow that it's impossible to make out the impression, and even the serial number is hard to read.

View attachment 479775
View attachment 479774
Right, I figured that was obvious. Him referring to serial numbers not being date specific had me like wait, what???

danzego

Reaction score
Isn't it kind of redundant though, if the actual serial clearly indicates it?
No. That just tells when the guitar was made, but it’s still a “Standard 50s” or “Standard 60s”.

That’s different than what Gibson was doing for many years leading up to this, which was doing a yearly refresh of models. Having to do that sort of thing year in and year out costs a lot of R&D money. Also, it wreaked havoc on the retail world, especially with how Gibson works in so far as their requirements for retailers being a “Gibson Authorized Reseller”. They require retailers to buy and display a certain amount of their guitars each year, but if the previous year’s models were still on the wall, the retailers then had to blow them out to make room for the next required amount. While that’s great for customers, it’s not great for retailers and also not good for Gibson, because it devalues their brand and delays customer purchases since they were expecting those fire sales before the new models hit retailers in September every year.

Of course, that also caused retailers to refrain from putting in late model year orders if they needed more before the new models hit. I remember every year, right around July or so, Gibson stock would start dwindling for a lot of the stores. Naturally, low stock or low variety hurts sales, too.

With what Gibson is doing now, they don’t have to deal with that, retailers don’t have to keep track of new models and lines each year and suffer low margins from clearance sales, and customers know the Standard they buy today isn’t going to be replaced in a few months with a whole new model with brand new specs (which is the catalyst for this thread, you may notice).

Utmost

Reaction score
I would think they will offer some new finishes and even switch around some 50s and 60s. I think I saw Wildwood was offering a 50s trim Unburst finish. When that happens not sure, next virtual NAMM??

MiniB

Reaction score
No. That just tells when the guitar was made, but it’s still a “Standard 50s” or “Standard 60s”.

That’s different than what Gibson was doing for many years leading up to this, which was doing a yearly refresh of models. Having to do that sort of thing year in and year out costs a lot of R&D money. Also, it wreaked havoc on the retail world, especially with how Gibson works in so far as their requirements for retailers being a “Gibson Authorized Reseller”. They require retailers to buy and display a certain amount of their guitars each year, but if the previous year’s models were still on the wall, the retailers then had to blow them out to make room for the next required amount. While that’s great for customers, it’s not great for retailers and also not good for Gibson, because it devalues their brand and delays customer purchases since they were expecting those fire sales before the new models hit retailers in September every year.

Of course, that also caused retailers to refrain from putting in late model year orders if they needed more before the new models hit. I remember every year, right around July or so, Gibson stock would start dwindling for a lot of the stores. Naturally, low stock or low variety hurts sales, too.

With what Gibson is doing now, they don’t have to deal with that, retailers don’t have to keep track of new models and lines each year and suffer low margins from clearance sales, and customers know the Standard they buy today isn’t going to be replaced in a few months with a whole new model with brand new specs (which is the catalyst for this thread, you may notice).
Okay but I was referring to 'made in USA 2019' on rear of headstock as opposed to just 'made in USA ' and the serial number, which still identifies what year it was made. Couldn't they still have done different lineups on a yearly basis but still leave just the serial # as what identifies year of manufacture? That's what I mean about it being redundant to begin with.

Maybe I misinterpreted when he said 'not doing years'. Personally, I'm fine with them doing an 'original series' and such which will be stable for some time in terms of format. Easier to identify and take more time to acquire, and yo udon't feel like it's going obsolete wen you take a coffee break. I think there are many of us who would rather they do less things but do them right, than keep throwing out more new things which are silly for the sake of coming out with new things.

Last edited:

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would think they will offer some new finishes and even switch around some 50s and 60s. I think I saw Wildwood was offering a 50s trim Unburst finish. When that happens not sure, next virtual NAMM??
Oh they probably will.
Color changes from year to year are not uncommon, and though I wouldn't expect Cherry to be dropped from the 50s series, we might see, maybe Tobacco and Iced Tea flip-flop between 50s and 60s... or maybe even see Unburst added to the 50s line.

All I know is I hope to be able to budget for a 50s Gold Top P90 before they discontinue that model.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
I picked up a new Goldtop standard. The checklist says final completion date is 1/11/20 but the necks serial number starts with a 1 indicating its a 2019. It does not state "made in 201x" IDK what thats about but the guitar is delightful

Last edited:

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I picked up a new Goldtop standard. The checklist says final completion date is 1/11/20 but the necks serial number starts with a 1 indicating its a 2019. It does not state "made in 201x" IDK what thats about but the guitar is delightful
See above... My Standard was made in April 2019 and just says Made in USA, while the Flying-V has "2019 Model"

Fender tends to roll their serial numbers to the new year around March or April... after the NAMM introductions are released to dealers, I suspect Gibson is the same.
Also, 1/11/2020 would not be unexpected for inspection on a unit serialized (which is before neck-fitting and painting) during December.

What does the serial number indicate for the production date?
YDDDYRRR

So in the case of mine, 109990xxx indicates it was made on the 99th day of 2019 = April 9th.

For models where the first two digits denote the year, YYRRRRRR, they can not be dated to a specific day... the RRR is simply the production number for that year.

danzego

Reaction score
Okay but I was referring to 'made in USA 2019' on rear of headstock as opposed to just 'made in USA ' and the serial number, which still identifies what year it was made. Couldn't they still have done different lineups on a yearly basis but still leave just the serial # as what identifies year of manufacture? That's what I mean about it being redundant to begin with.

Maybe I misinterpreted when he said 'not doing years'. Personally, I'm fine with them doing an 'original series' and such which will be stable for some time in terms of format. Easier to identify and take more time to acquire, and yo udon't feel like it's going obsolete wen you take a coffee break. I think there are many of us who would rather they do less things but do them right, than keep throwing out more new things which are silly for the sake of coming out with new things.
I see what you mean. Yeah, I’d say it’s redundant. I guess the idea is that your average consumer doesn’t know the serial number system (as simple as it may be), so that’s a quick and easy way to identify what year a particular guitar was made. I don’t know.

danzego

Reaction score
It just means that during the build process, that’s when the headstock was stamped. It takes time to complete the build, paint and finish it, install all of the hardware, then do inspections (hopefully) and pack it up. Yours was started in December and received final inspection in January.

Latest Threads