When did you first learn about the Les paul and how did it affect you

broke_player

Reaction score
I don't remember the exact year, but I remember thinking that it was an ugly looking guitar.

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
I was in Sweden 1994. My friend and i were in a music store (i didn't play guitar or know anything about guitars at the time). I saw one on a music stand. It was a Sunburst. I was like, "what's that?" My friend says " A Les Paul".

thexmadxtopxhatter

Reaction score
Guitar hero 3. HAHA back in the day of ignorance to musical talent... :) That was when I found my love for music and decided to buy my first guitar (jackson king v). It was always my dream to own the gibson les paul that I'd had seen and heard so much about in GC. Finally 3 and a half years later, I found myself the deal of the century...350 for my cherry classic premium plus from a family friend. Thats all I had saved up and the guy just said what the heck just take it. (I have noooooo idea why or how he gave it away for so cheap:)) This was seriously my dream guitar. And when I brought it to a local shop and they said it was authentic I nearly feinted. Thank you les paul for inspiring me to play the music I have learned to love!

IsJimmyPageGod?

Reaction score
I've always known about LP's and Strats, but at the age of 18 I was convinced that acoustic guitars were the best sounding instruments in the world. I never picked up an electric and never intended to. I even owned a gibson acoustic guitar and just played all Slash, Peter Greene, Mike Bloomfield, and Randy Rhoads on my acoustic guitar.

Then, about two years ago I decided to buy this particular DvD........
It had this concert performance in it:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu3FuEiopJ0"]Led Zeppelin - What Is & What Should Never Be - YouTube[/ame]

When I heard that slide solo at 1:49, I just couldn't stop thinking how beautiful it sounded.

Two weeks later I drove to guitar center and bought my first LP (was an LP traditional pro.) and a Marshall half-stack.

Since that day, my acoustics have been collecting dust in the closet.

chilton

Reaction score
Marc Bolan in '71, Mick Ronson in '73, Steve Jones in '77. Those three players made me want to own a Les Paul. Due to lack of money and me being a lefty player it took me until 1989 to buy one. It was a white LP Custom. It took me another 2 years to pay for it. That was my dream guitar. Eventually I sold it to raise cash. By then I had a SG but I still miss that Custom.

ktj

Reaction score
Sweet Child O'Mine video - got a Hondo copy (which I still love), then finally, this week my very own.

jwlespaul

Reaction score
I've always known about the Les Paul, however......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrz00Rs7mbA"]Gary Moore - Parisenne Walkway (From "One Night In Dublin: A Tribute To Phil Lynott") - YouTube[/ame]

3:18

I just needed some of that in my life.

It took 3 years but now I finally have it and I'm not giving it back.

zontar

Reaction score
I think it started when I got my Les Paul copy--I wanted to know about the guitar I had a copy of.

It may have been before that, but I'm not sure.

MineGoes211

Reaction score
I saw a pic of Tom Schultz playing a Gold Top on the first Boston album in 1976, and I knew that was the guitar to play!

Fracture

Reaction score
First guitar was a Yamaha that I bought new for like $129.00, this was back in
'76 or '77. Was still in high school. It was exactly like a Gibby studio, one piece body, a milk chocolate color.It had a grain to it, reminded me of oak, but was probably ash. Can't remember if it was a set neck or bolt on. 2 humbuckers, 1 volume and 1 tone knob
Then came TSRTS, and after seeing Page swing that LP around, I was hooked.
Once at a schoolmates house, this kid pulls out his dad's guitar. It looked just like Pages,
said it was like 20 years old. Could have been a '58 - '60. I remember it being very light, and the action low. He said his dad had it for as long as he could remember.
Didn't really know jack about guitars then, tuned with a fork.
Was it a historic? I can't even remember if it was a Gibson.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
First time seeing one, probably Slash from GnR on MTV but I didn't know what they were, only after 89 when I started playing influenced by Joe Perry did I learn what one was because he had them. I of course went back and found out what Slash was playing, and then took it back to the 60's and learned of the whole legacy. Page, Clapton, Beck, etc... My mom had a copy of the guitar handbook, back from the 80's (when she dabbled in playing) and the whole section on Les Paul and those guitars I read and re-read constantly. I yearned so bad for a sunburst, then eventually got my first les paul in 91, an ebony studio.

old mark

Reaction score
When I was about 5 years old, my grandfather had a pile of records-45 RPM singles and a little record player that looked like a typewriter case. About 6 of those singles were Les Paul and Mary Ford records. I LOVED them and I wanted to play electric guitar from that time. Les and Mary had a little TV show-about 15 minutes per episode, black and white, and they'd do a little joke or 2 (Les was a real wise ass) and then do a song. I loved the guitar he was playing and I have 4 of them right now. I started fooling around with a guitar when I was about 8 or 9 and some day I'll get it all down...;)

mark

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I was 16 in 1980 and got a Hondo II Les Paul copy, since it played nice, sounded good and looked very awesome with a rich dark cherry/burgandy color. This was the 2nd guitar I ever owned and everyone envied me for having this totally killer guitar with humbuckers and a great full beautiful tone. I don't even know what the first guitar I owned was, just a no-name strat type copy, with cheap single coils that were loud and the guitar would not even stay in tune well.

My first Gibson to replace that Hondo II, was the Gibson L6S which had 24 frets and you could easily get all the way to the top of the neck and it had a 6 way selector with coil splitting between the humbuckers. Here is the link Gibson.com: Gibson L6S and it only came in natural finish and black with a maple neck/fretboard. I paid $550 for it back then with a nice Gibson Hard Case. I should have never gotten rid of that guitar. You could also get a LP Standard back then for $700, but my other band mate had a Black L6S and it played and sounded nice, so I wanted one as well. $150-$200 price difference back then is like a $800 dollar price difference now. I had an awesome guitar for $550 and got $125 trade in for my Hondo II.

But now, I own 2 Les Pauls and a Fat Strat that play/look and sound sweet.

Reaction score
My mother was single all my childhood and she was and still very much is a Jimmy Page fanatic..I mean like she's like physco.I didnt start playing until this summer so I have always been a huge Jimmy Page fan,but until you start to learn to play the guitar there is no way to TRULY understand his greatness.I can say the same thing about the Les Paul.:thumb:

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jimmy Page.I Loved guitar but after hearing "The song remains the same" recording......all I wanted was to recreate "that" sound and nothing but that sound......still can't and don't expect to....but I tried !! :)

Ides of March

Reaction score
My guitar teacher played an Iced Tea Burst les paul and I loved the way it looked and played. And I have been playing les pauls ever since.

Latest Threads