When did you first learn about the Les paul and how did it affect you

Nik

Reaction score
Guys, I had a few beers tonight (and then some), got talking with a friend about guitars and old times. Went through this story and decided to write it down here as he left. Sorry for the long post. Might be a little inconcistent as well.

1989. I was 18/19, had played guitar hours and hours day in day out day for 3 years. Can guarantee you the ammount of hours played the first 3 or even 5 years are ridiculous. Up before school/work play one hour, play lunch hour in the music rehearsal room, play hours every night at home etc.

Learned about The Gibson Les Paul through some older guys in school who was gigging even before I had an electric myself, and as soon as I heard about that I started to notice it everywhere. If I remember right Mick Mars played one for a while and I really loved Mötley.

Memory fails now and I could be dead wrong, but wasn't it Stone Tempel Pilots who made a record with a black custom on the front picture of the vinyl?
Memory says it was some flower power background with a big black fat ass Custom just laying there.

I didn't buy that particular record, but I remember staring my eyes out and falling in love with that guitar. The following 15 years or so, I also fell in love with 3 women. However, the only love that would last, was with the Les paul.

Back to 1989.. Where I went to school, and this sounds too good to be true I know, there was an old man, senior citizen (rich one I'd say) he had an absolutely enormous house. And from what I heard he was supposed to buy used guitars, set them up and sell them for a really good price. It was a few miles outside of town, but as soon as I got my drivers license we drove by him almost every day after school.

He had about 8-10 Gibsons. Will never forget the first time I was there and saw his Black Beauty. I wouldn't believe it. Not sure Stone Tempel Pilots axe was a a BB, but for me it was the same. Playing it gave me more pleasure than anything I could think of in the world, almost. It was $700 and no way I could afford it. It had some minor repairs, thus the price. Following year after 900+ visits to the old man I maneged to get a RD Standard from him (I think 1977) for $300.

Jesus Christ this guitar was a player. Loved it so much.
His Les pauls started to thin out.. the BB was still there but it now had a competitor.. a Les Paul cherry sunburst. It said Deluxe on the headstock, didn't mean anything to me though. It was a 1979 I think. It played just as good, but the BB was still my favourite.

School was finnished and I had started working and moved to my own apartement.. Still drove to him twice a month (only a 50km drive) or so for checking out the guitars. The old man was such a cool guy, which was actually one of the reasons to go there. I remember once as we were talking in the store I asked him 'Can I smoke in here'. His reply was 'Son, here you can both smoke and get pissed'.

My mom and dad knew from before that when I started something I wouldn't quit fast. They bought me an accordion when In was 7, and dear God did I play that thing for 7 years every day until I got almost pro actually.

They told me when I moved that they thought it was gonna be sooo good not having to hear my loud guitar everyday anymore. Well no wonder.. you all now how bendings sound the first couple of years.

1990, I went into army (as everyone had to at that time). Hated every minute of it, except for the good friends I made. Brought my RD Standard there one weekend. The guys loved it when I was playing along with Blue Jean Blues. Not to sound cocky or anything, but playing came natural to me. My soloing sounded pretty nice already after 3 years of playing.

Went home from military one day with train and my mom met me at the train station, said get in the car lets have a drive. I have no idea whatsoever, but I just knew what was going to happen. And it did. Well I had been talking to her excessivly about the guitars at that senior citizent man but how could I have known..

We drove in the direction to my old school and landed at the old man selling guitars. Mu pulse was high at this point. I got really nervous.

I asked her (even if I somehow knew) what are we doing here. Lets go inside she says. Inside the old man was greeting me (we knew eachother pretty well at this point). I said WAZUP??? He said the choice is yours. Any Gibson you want is yours. I looked at my mom, she nodded. Hard to remember the feeling, even if I knew already at the train station what was going to take place, for some reason.

The BB was gone. The Deluxe was there, shining like the morning star. Plugged it into some old mesa. Played like a dream as always. I said I want it. It was $1200. Perfect condition. Original case too. Hard to describe how it felt once home playing it.

I played very activly until 1997. Never played in a band ,just home, along with various music. Ocasionally in friends bands. I was concidered much better than all players in my little village but never came to play in a band somehow.

1998 sold everything I had. The RD Standard went. the mesa I bought later went. My super nice Am Tele went and finally the Deluxe went. Never had the urge for playing anymore. Bought a new strat, sold it straight away. Tried a Kramer Beretta, and alth9oug i loved the sound of it, sold it too, and completely stoped playing.

12 years later (2008) I bought a cheap LP replica from ebay to see if it would be any fun. Played nicely, bought an amp, and a Boss GT10. One year later I (pretty sporadically) bought a LP Standard (Ice tea). Sounded alright but so much was wrong with it. Didn't weight anything to start with and thought it wasn't $3000 worth of fun. Gave it back to the store and got got some acoustic guitars and other stuff instead.

2010 Got a 'high end' Agile and a mij Tele. Both really nice. Got a strat as well later.
Now.. just started playing in a band and we have this 20yo girl singing, who really can sing and make it sound great adn she shows of as well with dance etc and we decide to try get some gigs as I hope we'll start sound ok soon, I hope lol.

To make a long story short, it seems I can't stand it if it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock. I'm past brand clothing and any other brands in whatever way of life it is, but seems Gibson is an exeption. I look at Gibbys on the net and I know I gotta have one. Wish the trad pro was available for trying but it isn't, in sweden. Will either order the pro from Thoman or wait until I have tried the baked maple classic custom in about 3 weeks time in the store here.

I remember a thread, if we are limited about guitar shapes. Yes I sure am, I'm as limited as it gets, to Strats, Teles, and LP's shapes. Not only to the shapes, also to the brands. It's Fender or Gibson. Wish I didn't feel like this though. Tried an old Tokai a while ago, fcuking superb guitar on all acounts but what does it help.

Did they know the magic power it would have on guys like me when they said 'Only a Gibson is good enough'? I swear, I don't care for any status in life, be it cars, clothes, or whatever you can think of, but when it comes to guitars, for me, only a Gibson is good enough.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I judge guitars with my ears and hands, and looks comes a distant fourth, after comfort. I love some Gibbys, and detest some, and am happy to play guitars from other builders who make quality instruments.

Being loyal to a brand is foreign to me. They're not gonna bail me out if the guitar gets broken ten minutes for a gig, right?

Nik

Reaction score
I judge guitars with my ears and hands

Wish I could be like that.

Buying from the net isn't optional, even if it might be my only choice if I for ex want a trad pro, but I think I'll pass on that.

Solely juding a guitar with ear and hand is optional, but it's not realistic for me, unfortunately. And it seems beauty is not enough too, if it isn't with a Gibson headstock. Got damn.

EasyAce

Reaction score
I had bought Super Session back in the year (1969) because I was a fan of Stephen Stills' Buffalo Springfield . . . and I saw Mike Bloomfield on the cover playing a very neat-looking guitar. I heard the album playing Bloomfield's side of it first (it was side one) and the sound of his guitar was so beautiful . . .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31EMHS65Nf0]Mike Bloomfield (with Al Kooper), "Really"[/ame]

. . . that I began asking around about it. Found out it was a Les Paul Standard. I didn't think an electric guitar could sound that sweet, that chimingly beautiful, and I'd been knocked flat by B.B. King and his (I learned later) ES-355 live that summer.

From that point forward I wanted to own a Les Paul at least once in my life. I did get to own a couple of SGs and an MIM Strat but they weren't quite what a Les Paul was. I finally got to own one. And a second. And a third. I'll never play anything but a Les Paul now. For playing the blues there's no better guitar.

nflea7

Reaction score
I am 17 it was 91/92 I saw Chris Degarmo of Queensryche play this white guitar while I watched them film the music video for Anybody Listening? I thought that's weird I've never seen him play anything but ESP's Hummmm... Later found out it was a Les Paul Custom. But I like most people around that time was still big into 80's hair metal and Les Pauls were not cool, they are your dads guitar man, you have to get some yellow or orange solid color Jackson and get your shred on. Around that time GNR was huge with the use your illusion albums and I remember being very influenced by the November Rain video especially when slash is playing his solo in front of that small white church in the middle of the desert with a white picket fence not plugged into anything :slash: I thought that was the coolest thing ever. Had a Strat of mine stolen and my car broken into about that time and I took my insurance money I got from it and went to Rock City Music (for those from Spokane WA) and went to the used/consignment center and saw the same tobacco colored sunburst sitting on the wall. I thought I got to have that guitar, I'm in love, and I get to be like Slash! Awesome. I was able to get the guitar for 650.oo turns out it was a 76 Les Paul Standard my first real guitar. Ah but not the score of ever, a few months later I started to get into Zack and put EMG's in it, then I got into Vai and sold it for a Jem 10th. Thoes were the days :dude:

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
That would have been around 1953, when I caught my dad watching Les Paul's TV show.

Nik

Reaction score
@nflea7,
I like your story, thx for sharing.

I have to admit though, that personally, even if I danced away with my mom to the song we both loved as it was often shown on TV - Paradise City - I never connected Les Pauls to Slash. Well I did, but never saw him as an icon for Les paul. And at the risk of getting flamed I never liked his sound or playing in particular at all. Though I'm sure he had something to do with the Les Paul prices suddenly sky rocketing somewhere 1990 or so if I remember right.

River

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for the iconic shapes (LP, Tele, 335, Florentine - do NOT like Strats), but have no brand loyalty per se. If I did, I wouldn't have half of the guitars I do, and the better ones at that.

I've raved about my Ibanez since I got it, to much skepticism. As of this week, two of the most skeptical MLP members have tried it and will now testify that it's everything I've claimed it to be.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
Hated them at first, though of them as "too-old timey."

Heard what they could do, fell in love with them.

Shai`tan

Reaction score
Back when I was around 18 or 19, I got a sweet Deluxe for about 900 Canadian. It had P90s, and they squealed real bad with the amp I was using. I ....like many, put in PAFs.. It was a perfect axe man. But at the time it seemed I couldn`t play it well at all. So I traded it. Ended up using Strat scale guitars for the longest time.

But the 25 1/2 scale length was hard on my wrists/hands. Bout 5 years ago I found a Gary Moore youtube vid of him playing Still Got the Blues. I literally fell in love with the Les Paul because of that vid. It was like I had been deaf all my life.... untill I heard that tone. That emotion.

I eventually found this forum by doing searches on the Les Paul. It was around the time Tom Bartlett did his 1st Build I think. I watched it. And asked Tom thru pm if he`d ever do a Kit. A year after that I believe, I see he was finally offering the EMCT Kit. Altho I had a `71 and `78 BB Custom, I knew I had to have a 59 Replica. Took the plunge.... and now find for some odd reason that the Les Paul scale feels much better now.... and as well I am on my own journey looking for that tone.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My first electric after 2 years of acoustic was an Aspen LP copy.

Try as I might to play other guitars, I keep seeming to come back to the LP.

Chop'emDown

Reaction score
Jimmy Page was my LP introduction.

When I was about 13-14, my Dad gave me several large boxes of his old albums and a reel-to-reel player with boxes of tape. I started listening to his records and came across Led Zeppelin I. After that, I didn't listen to anything (I'm not kidding) that wasn't Led Zeppelin until I was almost 17.

I find it mildly entertaining that Led Zeppelin I was recorded with a Tele...

I've owned several varieties of fairly inexpensive (MIM Strats, Ibanez, etc) electric guitars over the years but when I got my LP, it played so well that I sold all of them. I love my LP - it feels like it was made for my hands even though I'm at least the third owner. It has dings and scratches but I didn't buy it because it looked good (even though I think it's gorgeous) - I bought it because it sounds and plays great.

Ochlocracy

Reaction score
I went to a guitar show with my dad shortly after I started learning guitar, and the first thing I saw was a the Gibson stand. I remember my dad saying "I don't know anything about Guitars, but I know all the best players play Gibson". That event made me choose an Epiphone LP 100 as my first electric. :slash:

Rock City

Reaction score
I watched Thin Lizzy's "Live and dangerous" and heard that creamy, mellow but roaring and gorgeous LP tone. Already had BB MIJ and found out the original is made in the USA so the main goal was to have real one some day. Objectivity ruined down through the time with great help of the internet, still LP stayed first and the biggest love among electric guitars.

Russ324

Reaction score
Simple my brother took me to see Led Zepplin in 1972 in Pittsburgh. I was 14 years old. I have never forgotten that concert. Last year at the age of 52 I bought my first guitar, a Epiphone Silverburst Les Paul. I have been taking lessons for the past year and a half. I am sure I will not put down the guitar so in August I purchased a new Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus in Hertiage Cherry. I am presently learning Stairway to Heaven. It has taken a lot of years but I really enjoy learning and playing the guitar. Just goes to show, you are never too old. Russ

Russ324

Reaction score
Simple my brother took me to see Led Zepplin in 1972 in Pittsburgh. I was 14 years old. I have never forgotten that concert. Last year at the age of 52 I bought my first guitar, a Epiphone Silverburst Les Paul. I have been taking lessons for the past year and a half. I am sure I will not put down the guitar so in August I purchased a new Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus in Hertiage Cherry. I am presently learning Stairway to Heaven. It has taken a lot of years but I really enjoy learning and playing the guitar. Just goes to show, you are never too old. Russ

Adrian81

Reaction score
When I was a boy...for me Les Paul is a guitar of Slash...my childhood hero...

One day...when I was in high school...I visited my very rich friend's house. He had a studio for recording in his house. When I went to his room... I saw 5 Gibson Les Pauls...and he was not even a guitarist ! (he was a drummer)

He told me to try those LPs in his studio because he knew I always talked about Slash and his Les Paul. I instantly feel in love deeply with Gibson Les Paul and still love it until this day...

That's my story...:)

timgman

Reaction score
When I first started playing I had this super cheap kay from sears.. it had like a 1 inch thick body and 1 crappy single coil. after making some noise for a bit my older brother's friend cme over.. he had a crestwood les paul copy. It was screamin'.. this was just a few prior to slash.. it was awesome and thick.. i needed to get one after playing it.
after a few years I ended up playing that guitar and the rest is history.
I've always had a Les paul or a Les paul copy / epi... even when I was poor and didn't play.. now I have a pretty serious arsenal of guitars and half stacks.. and NEVER play.. I have 2 kids and a crazy job... busy always.. maybe someday I'll have some time...
:)

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's was 1987 to 1988ish and guns and roses were blowing up with appetite for destruction. I was 10 or so at the time and I was hooked from hearing slash play those tones.

Latest Threads