When did Gibson begin putting bell reflector knobs on LP's?

PontiacKendall

Reaction score
I've got a custom authentic '60 reissue and the custom aging of the hardware was done very well. Unfortunately Gibson only aged a few parts so I'm looking to get some additional aged parts from MSC. My guitar is butterscotch (similar to lemonburst) and has the dark amber knobs on it. MSC does have some very nice looking aged amber knobs but I really, really like the look of their aged bell reflector knobs. The problem is that I don't know when Gibson started using these style knobs and I'd like for it to look somewhat accurate. I know that I've seen them on the later 1960 model LP's that were painted with the different dye that's reluctant to fade. But looking back through the gallery at burstserial.com I'm not seeing very many on the earlier faded models.

I know that this is just a guitar and I can make it look however I want. But I would like to keep it somewhat accurate. So does anyone know if these reflectors were used on any of the '58, '59 or early model '60 LP's?

These are the MSC repro knobs:
https://www.martinsixstringcustoms.com/store/index.php?_a=product&product_id=284

And here's what they look like:
MSSC-Gibson-Aged-ReflectorKnobsGoldTop.jpg

RAG7890

Reaction score
Reflectors were used on 1960 Bursts but they did not come in right at the beginning of 1960. The first 1960 Bursts had Bell Knobs, with Reflectors following on from that.

Bell knobs were used from late 1955 (early ABR P90GT's) till early 1960.

I have no idea which month Reflectors started but if I were to guess I'd take a stab at just after or late in the first quarter................but this is only a guess.

I am sure someone here will know a more accurate date. :thumb:

Good luck. :)

:cheers:

PontiacKendall

Reaction score
Reflectors were used on 1960 Bursts but they did not come in right at the beginning of 1960. The first 1960 Bursts had Bell Knobs, with Reflectors following on from that.

Bell knobs were used from late 1955 (early ABR P90GT's) till early 1960.

I have no idea which month Reflectors started but if I were to guess I'd take a stab at just after or late in the first quarter................but this is only a guess.

I am sure someone here will know a more accurate date. :thumb:

Good luck. :)

Thank you for the reply. I'm not looking so much for a specific date. My apologies if I didn't word my original post very well. I'm more or less trying to find out if any of the pre fade-resistant models could have come with them on from the factory. From what you said above it sounds like they were available but just not used very frequently (if at all) on the bursts until some point in 1960 which confirms my thinking. Hopefully someone can confirm 100% if any of the pre fade-resistant bursts had them.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I'm not looking so much for a specific date. My apologies if I didn't word my original post very well. I'm more or less trying to find out if any of the pre fade-resistant models could have come with them on from the factory. From what you said above it sounds like they were available but just not used very frequently (if at all) on the bursts until some point in 1960 which confirms my thinking. Hopefully someone can confirm 100% if any of the pre fade-resistant bursts had them.

Welcome. Bursts prior to 1960 did not use Reflectors, so they coincide with the Bursts we often refer to as Clown Bursts in 1960 because they did not fade like the '58, '59 & very early '60 Bursts.................or what we often refer to as a transition Burst; i.e. those going from one year to the next at the turn of the Calender.

However, if you like Reflectors just go ahead & use them...........enjoy. :)

I also think Reflectors are cool. :thumb:

Bigsby'd

Reaction score
Welcome. Bursts prior to 1960 did not use Reflectors, so they coincide with the Bursts we often refer to as Clown Bursts in 1960 because they did not fade like the '58, '59 & very early '60 Bursts.................or what we often refer to as a transition Burst; i.e. those going from one year to the next at the turn of the Calender.

I have never, ever seen a '60 clown burst. Tomato soup burst, yes, but clown...not so much.

PontiacKendall

Reaction score

Ha, I was hesitant to call them Clown Bursts, didn't want to take a chance of offending anyone :) I guess technically even if the early '60 models didn't come with them originally they could have been modded that same year to include them. And you're right, if I like them I should just use them :) Thanks for the history lesson, definitely helpful.

RAG7890

Reaction score

Attachments

• p1_ubbr4pkcw_so.jpg
    p1_ubbr4pkcw_so.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 838

jamman

Reaction score
My understnding is the reflectors were started later in the 1960 run . closer to when the LP line was finished . IIRC . you might get a better /more knowledgeable reply in the Vintage section . Ask 1 of the Mods to move this thread there and see what you get .

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Reflectors and double ring tuners were phased in during mid 1960. That is how Gibson documents it in their V2 reissues; V2s can come with double ring tuners and bonnet knobs or reflectors knobs or both. By the time they were doing the V3 tomato bursts in late 1960, all had reflectors.

PontiacKendall

Reaction score
Very cool, thanks for the added info guys. Mine is a 2004 and it has double-ring tuners and dark amber bonnets. From everything that I'm hearing there were some original non-tomato-bursts that originally came with reflectors. That's what I was hoping would be the case.

Thanks again for everyone's help. tons of knowledgeable folks on here and it's much appreciated.

Latest Threads