When did Bursts become cool? (and $$$$$)

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just been reading the Rob Lawrence "Early Years of the Les Paul Legacy" book, in which Mike Bloomfield says it was Eric Clapton's use of the LP that got him into it. So maybe the Bluesbreakers "Beano" album?

Liam

BigJim

Reaction score
For me, it was Fillmore era Allmans, Billy Gibbons too.

I remember hanging out in Guiliano's in White Plains NY, 12 yo, buying picks and strings, oogling the 50's 'bursts he had in his case for $2500! That was late 70's..

Tuxedo Kaz

Reaction score
I remember reading in Slash's book that he bought his '59 (the one in the November Rain vid) for $8,500, which was probably in the late 80's to early 90's. It was Joe Perry's old axe and Slash returned it to him later as a gift or something.:slash:
I've heard it from the mouth/keyboard of the man that sold it to him. I believe he'd been trying for $8,700 but gave up and posted it for $8,500 when Slash came around. That would be 9 0663 if I remember right. I believe the exact year was late 1987.

guitarbob123

Reaction score
However:
Had Jimmy Page NOT played a Les Paul, the Les Paul would have never returned to production, they would have died out long ago.

they returned to production in 1968. jimmy didn't have a burst until 1971/1972

LHakim

Reaction score
I'm surprised no ones said this yet but Les Pauls became "cool" in the very early 1950's when people saw Les Paul playing his--he was for a while one of the (if not the) hottest and most popular electric guitarist in America. Between 1952-54 alone Gibson shipped more than 5,000 Goldtops which is alot considering the era. IMO the guitar's popularity waned when Les Paul's career waned.

The Les Paul didn't become "cool" again until 1965 (in Great Britain) thanks to Clapton--when you research that era you see how much impact he had and how much everyday British guitarists were searching for a Les Paul to get Clapton's "sound".

In America Bloomfield was the big influence although that didn't occur until 1966 albeit on a smaller scale initially; then in 1967 he was introduced at Monterey before thousands of fellow musicans as one of the "2 or 3 best electric guitarists in the world" and then proceeded to burn the place down on his Burst. You know that had a huge impact! The following year Super Sessions (a very influential record which sold really well) came out and a wider portion of the public became exposed to the sound and appearance of a Les Paul.

The Les Paul's popularity again waned in the late 70's early 80's when EVH and SRV respectively became the heavily influential guitarists. I think it would be interesting to see how many new Les Pauls sold between 1980 and 1988 (after Guns 'n Roses released AFD) especially compared to sales of new Strats, Kramers etc during that era.

As far as when they became expensive--they were, relatively speaking expensive in the 1950's. By 1967-68 because of supply and demand the original ones (w/pafs) were selling for more than any other model of vintage elctric guitar.

brianbzed

Reaction score
Hell, Brothers I truly do not know.:hmm: My earliest recollection was around 1974. At that point, I was still a pianist/trumpeter/drummer......my coolest friends played guitar!:applause: It's no joke that the Kiss wave swept America, and Ace Frehely played a sunburst LP.
You know friends, that everything is subjective at that age.:D

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
they returned to production in 1968. jimmy didn't have a burst until 1971/1972
You're right about Page not influencing the return to production of the Les Paul, but your dates have got to be a fair bit wrong. There's a verified photo of Page holding the newly acquired #1 on this very date (May 2nd) in 1969.

Liam

BurstWurst

Reaction score
I purchased my '59 burst from a dear friend (my drummer) in 1974 for $1,000. I remember going directly to Carbondale with the drummer afterwards and having the guitar appraised by Terry Mueller for $2,500. I offered the balance to the drummer on the spot. He declined it, saying "a deal is a deal". Still get together to play with him occasionally. As an aside, even then, I considered the burst too valuable for gigs where there was any risk.

In 1976, I purchased my 1955 (all original in well played condition) strat in charleston IL at the tinkley bell music store for $500! It belonged to the store owner who was G.A.S.ing for a birdland.

Then, in 1981 I purchased my 52 blackguard tele in a package deal along with my 59 Bassman from Frank Lucido for $3,000.

These prices are, of course irelevant in today's market. Just throwing these out there for nostalgia's sake.

The above stories are easy to tell, as I still own these guitars. In breech of policy I will now divulge the 63 reverse firebird V and 59 LP TV DC I bought in 78 as a package for $1,000. Sadly, only the danelectro convertable that was thrown into that deal is all that remains. I envy the sucker that bought the firebird from me along with a baby blue 100 watt super-lead.

Still, obviously, I've no complaints.

BurstWurst

Reaction score
Point being, I considered the burst to be the coolest guitar on the planet in 1974.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
I purchased my '59 burst from a dear friend (my drummer) in 1974 for $1,000. I remember going directly to Carbondale with the drummer afterwards and having the guitar appraised by Terry Mueller for $2,500. I offered the balance to the drummer on the spot. He declined it, saying "a deal is a deal". Still get together to play with him occasionally. As an aside, even then, I considered the burst too valuable for gigs where there was any risk.

In 1976, I purchased my 1955 (all original in well played condition) strat in charleston IL at the tinkley bell music store for $500! It belonged to the store owner who was G.A.S.ing for a birdland.

Then, in 1981 I purchased my 52 blackguard tele in a package deal along with my 59 Bassman from Frank Lucido for $3,000.

These prices are, of course irelevant in today's market. Just throwing these out there for nostalgia's sake.

The above stories are easy to tell, as I still own these guitars. In breech of policy I will now divulge the 63 reverse firebird V and 59 LP TV DC I bought in 78 as a package for $1,000. Sadly, only the danelectro convertable that was thrown into that deal is all that remains. I envy the sucker that bought the firebird from me along with a baby blue 100 watt super-lead.

Still, obviously, I've no complaints.
cool

Latest Threads