What's your Les Paul neck preference?

Peter M

Reaction score
I was scared the 50s was too thick
1641412023072.png

Seriously, I agree that using both types is not a big deal... I alternate frequently.

ElChoad

Almost a dick, almost an asshole, close to nuts.
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
'50s fat and rounded. Probably because I have big fat hands.

whatshisname

Reaction score
I can quickly adjust to the necks on any of my Les Pauls, but I think my cherry sunburst Tributes are the probably the most comfortable. My 2021 Classic and 85 Love Rock are close contenders.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
View attachment 582392

Seriously, I agree that using both types is not a big deal... I alternate frequently.
I'm in the back and forth camp myself. I'll go through a 50's profile phase and then a 60's slim phase for awhile. I play and love both. Hell I could probably be satisfied with a Wizard neck profile and be fine.

afireinside

Reaction score
Biggest 50s i can find. 2014 Traditional Les Pauls are consistently my favorite they called it a "late 50s neck profile" .90-1.0. I own 2 and love them. My 2021 Standard happens to be the same or at least feels very close (but ive played 3 other 2021 Standards that were much smaller)

But i also hadent picked up my 1992 Ibanez RG770 with the thin/flat/wide Wizard for about 4 years untll last week, then promptly ordered a used 2018 RG550 reissue and love them! But hate 60s slim taper fo figure.....

Screenshot_20220107-100433_Samsung Internet.jpg

bluesoul

Reaction score
I like them all as long as they are not too small or too big (extremes). R8 necks feel best if I have my way!

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Maybe because the 60's slim taper has more meat on the shoulders where the Wizard necks are close to being flat?? My 2013 LPJ Pro has a similar profile to the Trads. 0.9 - 1.0. Actually my SG Classic has the same measurements.

My Standard 60's is probably the thinnest one I own at .82 - .91. But it has shoulders so it can feel deceivingly thicker.

gball

Reaction score
I used to think I only liked bit fat '50s ones, but now I have huge ones, medium ones and thin ones and I have found that I like them all for different reasons and enjoy going back and forth.

dspelman

Reaction score
Do you like 60's slim or 50's fat or something else.
Wide and thin. I've got an LP with a 1 3/4" nut width (they have that nut size available for Floyd Rose locking nuts, but that's another story) and the neck is 17mm thick at the first fret, 20.5mm thick at the 12th fret. A little bit of a D shape. Perfect.

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
Fuck spec sheets if it's still done by hands and eye balls. I've got a 50's standard and they clearly sanded off a ton of wood to make it so light, that includes on the neck. The neck is slim, and pretty fast. And I'm sure there's a "60's" standard out there, with a swollen ass neck. I've never gotten the hang up about necks. They all just feel like guitar necks to me and can adjust after 5-10 minutes of playing.

Red Beard

Reaction score
I can vary,,but to specific models
Like modern C on my Strats and chunky 59 style on Les Pauls and classic C on SG’s
I honestly think for me the way the guitar lays or hangs with there different shapes and sizes or even different scale lengths determines how i like my neck shape

Deftone

Reaction score
Slim 60 with a volute in Maple with an ebony fret board and jumbo frets.

Reaction score
I have both 50's & 60's necks. When I first tried my LP Tribute, it felt like a baseball bat , but now it feels like home. With my Standard, it felt like home immediately. I like them both though....best guitars I've ever owned.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Fuck spec sheets if it's still done by hands and eye balls. I've got a 50's standard and they clearly sanded off a ton of wood to make it so light, that includes on the neck. The neck is slim, and pretty fast. And I'm sure there's a "60's" standard out there, with a swollen ass neck. I've never gotten the hang up about necks. They all just feel like guitar necks to me and can adjust after 5-10 minutes of playing.
Spot on.

Gridlock

Reaction score
Currently all four of my Les Pauls have 50’s necks. Definitely my preference.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
50s. I like the size specifically on the 2013 and 2016 Traditional models.

moreles

Reaction score
Well, here's one that will get me kicked out of the club: I like, by far, the very slim, flattish neck on my '87 Reissue '61 Les Paul/SG Custom -- that's a Les Paul, folks -- which is a real outlier in the family. It's a strange profile, but I play with a pretty light touch and no thumb-around, so it works great for me. I've never had a real attraction to the chunky necks, though I can play them fine; lately, I've been playing slimmer necks because, well, why not? The ebony fretboard on the LP/SG makes for a plenty stiff neck, especially alongside modern rosewoods and mahoganies.

mavrick10_2000

Reaction score
I can play either the 50's and 60's style tapers. I'm starting to prefer just a slight amount more meat on necks these days.

I had a bad experience years ago when I was handed a Strat with a baseball bat at a blues/jazz jam. 3/4 of the way through the first song my hand was cramping, and that was only from chording.

I wasn't so sure I would like the 50's (non baseball bat) taper since I had repetitive motion injuries and partial nerve damage about 15 years ago.

It was excruciating pain with intermittent numbness which effected my ring and pinky on my fretting hand the most. I had it in both arms and after months of therapy and significantly cutting back on practice/playing thought I wouldn't be able to play again - so I sold all of my gear which was even a bit more painful, oddly enough I somehow came out ahead on that deal - timing I guess.

I feel fortunate to have moved beyond those issues and have adapted and become comfortable with just about any neck profile.

Last edited: