What's your Les Paul neck preference?

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I have a 60s profile on my LP and I love it. Depending on the neck I'm also cool with 50s, as long as it's not a baseball bat.

Jimi03

Reaction score
View attachment 571059
My historic HM measurements before and after. They did a great job perfect neck . It's all subjective.
its amazing the smallest increments your hands can feel . Your own hands should make the decision .
There 50's dimensions where just right.
Forgive me for the possible stupid rookie question, but HM means historic makeover?

Also what work did you have done, and if you don't mind what was the price? would you

recommend it?

BDW60

Reaction score
I have guitars with slim and fat necks and in between. What I have learned is I like a rounded C and little or no shoulder.

This is a MIJ Greco! If I had to choose a favorite neck profile, those Grecos have it. Some of my other Japanese guitars have it as well, espeically the ones made by Fujigen like the Grecos.

I know! I just got a 1980 a couple months ago and it has a perfect neck.

joba

Reaction score
Forgive me for the possible stupid rookie question, but HM means historic makeover?

Also what work did you have done, and if you don't mind what was the price? would you

recommend it?
Had the full monty done. It was a couple years ago so I dont remember the exact price. Would do it again in a minute . They made a very nice guitar incredible. It just feels like perfectly worn in guitar that you have been playing for twenty years.
i-GB4ZFGK-X3 2.jpg

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Impossible...
View attachment 571247

...at least on my favourite necks...

'...whats-your-les-paul-neck-preference...' says the thread title.

I know this might be hard to take, and I hate to disappoint you, but they're not Les Pauls.

Not even close, and DEFINITELY no cigar!

:naughty: :dude:

gball

Reaction score
I can get used to any neck if I really like the guitar.

That said, the necks on the 2016 Traditionals are pure heaven to my hands.

Could not agree more. The neck on mine is without question the best I have ever played, a real goldilocks size - not to thick/not too thin/not too wide/not too narrow. I wish every neck could be the same.

dSky

Reaction score
Whatever the profile is called on my '99 LP Classic

Spudvader

Reaction score
Honestly, I hated Gibson necks, might even still do but I love the sound, the weight, the scale length, pretty much everything else. I had a classic with the slim neck, didn't like it. I've had the traditional with bigsby from factory, too chunky. I've got an 04 Custom now which has been the best compromise, certainly not chunky but not too slim either, is a real goldilocks neck that I've come to really enjoy and has become my favourite to play.

GrunGie

Reaction score
I really enjoy the ones on the 2021 classic...
Not ultra thin, not as thick as my 2003 sg special (which I love), something in between

2Muchgear

Reaction score
My R9 is .883”@1st and if I was designing a neck, it’s a ‘thin’ as I’d want. Have an R6, R7 and R8 all .902 and larger which I prefer. As to profile, the 50’s C has quite a bit of subtle variation and my R8 has the biggest shoulders. I’d probably make them all like my R6/7…beefy thick but not too broad a beam.

T Willis

Reaction score
Had the full monty done. It was a couple years ago so I dont remember the exact price. Would do it again in a minute . They made a very nice guitar incredible. It just feels like perfectly worn in guitar that you have been playing for twenty years. View attachment 571212
Gorgeous!

T Willis

Reaction score
Whatever my hand tells me feels great when I grab it.

Typically, for me, that's a early/ mid 60's. However, my 1959 Junior neck feels amazing to me. I've to learned to just get around on different necks. Unless it's a baseball bat..... that doesn't work at all for me.

Brutalisateur

Reaction score
I really only like the old "narrow nut" necks from the 70's. They are narrow enough for playing thumbs over style with normal sized hands.

It's a shame Gibson doesnt make them like that anymore, even a super expensive reissue like the Adam Jones ones have a modern neck width. It probably has something to do with the tooling, they cant mess with the thickness and profile, but alter the width and they wont fit in the jigs and machines anymore.

reelman955

Reaction score
Rounded C but some Ds work if the depth is there. Needs some Beef. I have nerve and joint damage in both my hands and this has become crucial for me- if the neck is not right, I can't play anymore without a lot of pain.

I think my fave necks ever may have been Fenders- a really beefy Soft v to C on my old 50s RW Tele, and the neck on my KWS Strat which was a rounded C of medium depth at the nut and was getting really big by the 12th fret. Apparently a clone of one of his early 60s Strats.

On a Gibson- I like the neck on my Slash Standard which is R9-ish and my 2014 Trad which is even bigger in depth and shoulder. 2 necks that I remember being really fond of were my 1989 Standard and a 2005 Musicians Friend special run Deluxe- both were beefy and rounded.

The best PRS I've ever owned - a PRS 20th Anniversary MCCarty from 2005 - It had an amazing neck, and my 2005 Hamer Standard was a hoss too, but was very noticeably shaved down in the cowboy chord area. I had alot of great guitars from 2005 including my R8. Guess that's where I'm going first with the Time Machine.
Whatever my 92 wine red standard has. Haven’t found one since that feels as good.

Latest Threads