What's your Les Paul neck preference?

smk506

Reaction score
I generally like a beefier neck, but there are comfortable smaller ones too. Shape has a lot to do with it too.

Last edited:

BDW60

Reaction score
For me, the best is the one they rarely make. Rounded, medium size .85-.87 at the first and .95-.97 up top. The closest regular issue neck they make to this is the Custom.

You would think the middle ground between thin and fat would be a very popular choice for a lot of players but it doesn’t seem to be at all.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Up until recently I only liked 60’s slim and that’s all I really went for. But I played some 50’s neck guitars that not only felt comfortable to play but played better (slinkier, easier to bend, less stiff) than similar models with 60’s neck profile.
If all else is equal, I still go for 60’s. But with the right set up and on the right guitar, I’m more than happy with a 50’s neck.
Just today I was playing some SGs in the local store, and enjoyed the chunkier neck on the SG standard over the slim neck on the SG 61. The opposite has also happened where I liked the SG 61 neck more than the SG standard neck. Just depends on that particular guitar and it’s set up.

Last edited:

Rds

Reaction score
i have 50s and 60s. like them all but i like how easy my trad pro ii with 60s neck plays. but i do like it all baby.

Last edited:

NotScott

Reaction score
I have 60s slims to 50s fatties and can play them all. But my favorite is the profile on my R5. It's hefty but with slim shoulders, It is very comfortable.

FF9nZhp.jpg

Last edited:

diogoguitar

Reaction score
variety is good but Traditional 50's has been the best for me. On paper, it's a giant thick neck (1.00 inch @ 12th fret), but the shoulders are really rounded... Idk what difference it does to tone but this guitar sounds sooooooooooooooooo good

0IFp8At.png

joba

Reaction score
i-B9df5R8-X3.jpg

My historic HM measurements before and after. They did a great job perfect neck . It's all subjective.
its amazing the smallest increments your hands can feel . Your own hands should make the decision .
There 50's dimensions where just right.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I'm not picky, i adapt my hands to the guitar.

Me too...I used to stick with slim necks on everything, but ten found that the change worked for me, so I rotate between different profiles, scale lengths and radius. Slim taper on my SG and Epiphone LP, a rounded 50s on my Junior. Fat U on a Tele, slim C on another Tele, etc. Takes a few minutes to settle in, then I'm good.

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
"Not fat" - sorry, best i can do, as i go by the individual guitar, not what some guy in marketing calls it*.
I do own guitars with pretty varying neck sizes, but do prefer moderate to slimmish thickness, and even though i own 2 '90 Ibz's with original "Wizard" necks those are to thin for me to be truly comfortable.

So yeah, i want goldilocks necks.

* But if it is any indication to anyone i very briefly owned an '08 white, gold hw LPStudio w. ebony fretboard with a fat neck, i guess it was some sort of 50's type, and well, that Studio went out the door within the week. Together with the fully chambered body that fat neck just made for an uncormfortable guitar to play, and the amplified tone unfortunately didn't help things.
Stunning looker, but not what i want from a guitar...

Latest Threads