What's your favourite valve/tube gigging combo

p90rules

Reaction score
So I'm checking out a few options for a 1x12 combo around 20 - 40 Watts for gigging, playing classic Rock, blues, Country styles. Not looking to spend a fortune on a boutique amp... Thinking on the lines of a peavey classic 30, Fender HR Deluxe. Laney Vc or Lc 30 type of thing.
I like a combination of cleans, crunch and Allman bros type solo tones so any thoughts or comments most appreciated guys

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Probably a Traynor YGM-3 with slight tweaks. And I've owned some nice combos, such as currently a vintage 1966 Fender Vibrolux Reverb.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I was gonna say Fender Deluxe Reverb. Great minds think alike.
Except that I hate the Deluxe Reverb :laugh2:. Hate may be a strong word, but I really don't like them. They sound ratty to me, and I've played both vintage and reissue. They can be quite muddy and overly bassy, too.

I tweak the Traynor YGM-3 to be more in line with a Marshall circuit and absolutely love it. Add in Reverb and Tremolo that's just as good as any Fender and you've got a winner. At least, if someone doesn't like a Fender Deluxe Reverb, they owe it to themselves to try the Traynor.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Except that I hate the Deluxe Reverb :laugh2:. Hate may be a strong word, but I really don't like them. They sound ratty to me, and I've played both vintage and reissue. They can be quite muddy and overly bassy, too.

I tweak the Traynor YGM-3 to be more in line with a Marshall circuit and absolutely love it. Add in Reverb and Tremolo that's just as good as any Fender and you've got a winner. At least, if someone doesn't like a Fender Deluxe Reverb, they owe it to themselves to try the Traynor.
Mmm...love the FDR's tone, especially as a base for pedals. Not for overdriving.

p90rules

Reaction score
There's a Traynor YBA-2B combo in mint condition that I know of... Would you recommend these ..? Its the 70s version with the silver edges....I don't necessarily want anything I'll have to spend a fortune modding tho

ErictheRed

Reaction score
There's a Traynor YBA-2B combo in mint condition that I know of... Would you recommend these ..? Its the 70s version with the silver edges....I don't necessarily want anything I'll have to spend a fortune modding tho
I've actually never played one of those, but I imagine that they sound good. That's the 15W, 1x15" combo I think? I would personally pass.

Traynor YGM-3s don't cost anything to mod if you know what you're doing (and neither do YBA-1s, YSR-1s, or YRM-1s, the only others I've owned). One capacitor change in the first coupling stage (cutting some bass) and a tweak to the Presence circuit, which might be simply cutting the presence capacitor off or changing the value of resistor and capacitor. We're talking about $5 - $10 for those parts if you know how to solder. The downside is that you will want to replace the speaker, so depending on your preference, that might cost a little money. But you can get a ton of excellent 12" speakers for under $100, so all in all, it shouldn't cost more than $100 or so to get a YGM-3 really cooking.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I've actually never played one of those, but I imagine that they sound good. That's the 15W, 1x15" combo I think? I would personally pass.

Traynor YGM-3s don't cost anything to mod if you know what you're doing (and neither do YBA-1s, YSR-1s, or YRM-1s, the only others I've owned). One capacitor change in the first coupling stage (cutting some bass) and a tweak to the Presence circuit, which might be simply cutting the presence capacitor off or changing the value of resistor and capacitor. We're talking about $5 - $10 for those parts if you know how to solder. The downside is that you will want to replace the speaker, so depending on your preference, that might cost a little money. But you can get a ton of excellent 12" speakers for under $100, so all in all, it shouldn't cost more than $100 or so to get a YGM-3 really cooking.
Eric, do you have a vintage model or one of the recent reissues?

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Mmm...love the FDR's tone, especially as a base for pedals. Not for overdriving.
I dislike it as a base for pedals, personally. I can't get any good distortion or overdriven sound out of them, to my ears--but then I realize that the majority of guitarists love them. It must be that enormous mids scoop that makes me dislike them, but I've tried various fuzz pedals, Big Muffs, all sorts of Tube Screamers (TS-9, Maxon OD808, etc), two versions of the Fulltone OCD, Analogman Prince of Tone, Colorsound Overdriver, Colorsound Powerboost clone, Wampler Sovereign, Wampler Plexi Drive, various ProCo Rats and clones, Carl Martin Plexitone, Xotic Effects Atomic Overdrive, Boss Blues Driver (with and without Keeley mods), Snouse Black Box, Klon clone, Zendrive clones...believe me, I've really tried to make the Deluxe Reverb work for me, but it just doesn't.

Again I know that I'm in the minority here, but there has to be one voice out there making it okay to not like that amp, IMO.

LJGriggs

Reaction score
If you are looking for an economical amp that covers the range of tones from "vintage blues" to country "chicken pickin'", you might want to check out the Peavey Delta Blues. It's the same basic amp as the Peavey Classic 30, but the 15" speaker gives it a little extra bottom. (These days I gig with either my Germino Masonette or my Marshall JMP 50 watt bass, but I still hang on to my Delta Blues.)

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Eric, do you have a vintage model or one of the recent reissues?
I've owned both (four vintage over the years and one reissue). The reissues are amazing compared to Fender reissues, in my opinion. All point-to-point handwired, with good components. I did a few more upgrades to a 2012 YGM-3 reissue (also added a Mercury Magnetics choke, swapped all tone capacitors for Sozo caps, and added FRED diodes, though honestly the amp didn't need any of those things) that I thought I'd keep forever. Soon after, a good deal on an excellent condition 1966 Vibrolux Reverb came up and I bought that, so I sold the Traynor that I'd put so much work into.

I took the Vibrolux to the most respected amp tech in my area, and it really smokes! No mods though, it's vintage and I don't want to mess with the collectibility, just new tubes, power cord, coupling caps, etc.

To be honest, I really miss the Traynor. The Vibrolux is an excellent amp, but I if I use only my ears to judge, I think that I preferred the Traynor. The man I sold it to won't part with it, either; I emailed him about it and even offered some extra money over what he bought it for a couple of years ago.

I almost bought another (stock) YGM-3 reissue off of Reverb the other day, but he sold it locally before accepting my offer. Fantastic amps, IMO. But they aren't Fenders, and if you love the Fender Blackface sounds, you might not like them. If you're open to something a little different (kind of Voxy, kind of Marshally, kind of their own thing), they're awesome. The only downside is that they're kind of big and bulky when compared to similar amps, such as the Deluxe Reverb. The next time I buy one I may build a smaller cabinet for it, or convert it to a head. I definitely won't sell one ever again!

Last edited:

ErictheRed

Reaction score
As an aside, the Peavey Classic 30 (and similar amps) are also fantastic values if you get over the fact that it doesn't say Fender or Marshall on the front.

sonar

Reaction score
A Deluxe Reverb is a pretty easy amp to check all the OP's boxes. I love the Blackface era amp line, although the Deluxe Reverb is not a personal favorite. Still a good amp (vintage BF through Silverface, didn't like the reissue although the new handwired is supposedly good) but I find the Princeton Reverb more interesting and fun to play, while the 6L6 glass in the Vibrolux Reverb sounds fuller and a little tighter in the bass while still being dynamic compared to the Deluxe Reverb. A lot of club and wedding/corporate guys play DR's (mostly reissue) with pedals, so that says something.

To prove everybody's different I've found the Traynor amp thing to be more hype than hidden gem(s). Stock they're stiff and monochromatic. While some of the EL84/6BQ5 combo's are fine with some of the interwebz tweaks and speaker swaps, they're still nothing that gets me too excited. A lot of them are also heavy as hell. The YBA-1's can sound pretty good (and loud) after mods, but considering that there are now a lot of modern alternatives for 5F6's and Plexi's that do a better job, the old Bassmasters fall even more into what they've always been - the cheap alternative.

budg

Reaction score
If you like ABB tones why not go with a Marshall? Get a 40 watt combo .I have the DSL so maybe a bit partial . Great clean on the classic channel. You can use a pedal for some classic OD sounds and the red channel for nice solo tones.

matthew bear

Reaction score
Vox AC15. Voxes get a lot of love/hate... I happen to fall into the love category.

Or the orange rocker 15 or 32 combos they put out a year or so go, they seemed pretty cool as well.