What's your favorite pickups?

Thundermtn

Reaction score
For a LP

The right individual Custom Bucker sounds good to me, a dry, bright and brittle one with healthy overtones to me sounds like the real PAF 's I've played.

Seymour Duncan, Pearly Gates - neck

Bare Knuckle, Riff Raff - set

Onamac Windery, Top Shelf - set

Organic Pickups, Stigma - neck

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Custombuckers are great for Gibson pickups...

Going outside of that.

Dimarzio 36th Anniversary if it’s open coil (double cream)

Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Pearly Gates if it’s covered (aged nickel)

Ive had a number of aftermarket ones. OX4, Wizz, Wolfetone, SD, Dimarzio.... those are my main choices above. All that’s mentioned are great choices but people like what they like...

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have had good experiences with OX4. Something about those pickups are just really chimey, a middle position to die for. I would like to try some Throbak's but I need to sell some pedals and parts to drum up the cash.

With that said, I think Custombuckers are great and I dig the low wind Custombucker S that CME uses too.

Deftone

Reaction score
In an LP?

P-90's work best for me.

I have played Wolfetone and a Duncan Custom Shop 1978 that got my attention.

I have Wolfetone Mean & Meanest P-90's in my '67 SG jr, they rip.

Byron Blue

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of SD Saturday Night Specials for my Lucille. They are exceptional pickups with great clarity and punch

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
I dig the Alnico II Pro & 59/Custom Hybrid. They cover a wide range of styles and gain ranges.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Vintage (2 x great sets of PAF's & 1 x great set of P90's)
Cilia Custom Guitars Humbuckers
OX4

I would like to try ReWind one of these days, along with Tyson Tone & Throbak.

Lots of good options out there.

My 2c FWIW.

:cheers2:

goldtop0

Reaction score
If you can get 'em.............Timbuckers, they come up on ebay from time to time........best PAF and T-Top(style) pups I've played, got two sets myself and they ain't goin' anywhere........

EasyAce

Reaction score
I have an R6 with P90s and an R9 (Bloomfield sig model) with Burstbucker 1 and 2s. They all work beautifully.

caltx01

Reaction score
I really like Sheptone Tribute PAFs in my 94 LP Standard. They have a richness of tone that appeals to me. I substituted them for the stock 490R-498T set that was originally installed and I have not looked back.

For my 2016 R9 I like the Custombuckers so much I do not see myself experimenting with anything else in this guitar.

Cal in TX

Last edited:

Dilver

Reaction score
I kind of look at pickups as different flavors... like seasonings. Some go better with certain guitars/types of guitars than others; some have a distinct “flavor” all their own and some compliment and bring out the tones inherent in the guitar.

My favorites by type of guitar:
58 Historic Les Paul: Peter Florance Voodoo PAF: A5 bridge/A3 neck. I’ve come to realization that I just prefer an A5 mag in a bridge pickup. I’ve also had good experiences with OX4 and ReWind.

Semi-Hollow Body (CS-336) - JM Rolph 59: Sweet, almost single-coil-like tones from a PAF

Les Paul Junior - Wolfetone Meaner 90: Wolf knows P90s.

Telecaster - Lollar J Street: Jason Lollar has got some secret tele sauce

Gretsch 6120 SSLVO - TV Jones Classic/Classic +: Best Filtertrons on the planet.

Precision Bass - Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound: Works.

ONEHERO

Reaction score
Personally I really liked the CustomBuckers from Gibson but only the ones that came out in 2015 and onward as they were very lightly potted and now in 2019 they’re unpotted

indeedido

Reaction score
For a LP

The right individual Custom Bucker sounds good to me, a dry, bright and brittle one with healthy overtones to me sounds like the real PAF 's I've played.

Seymour Duncan, Pearly Gates - neck

Bare Knuckle, Riff Raff - set

Onamac Windery, Top Shelf - set

Organic Pickups, Stigma - neck
+1 on the Custombuckers. Anytime I see one for sale at a decent price I snatch 'em up.

Latest Threads