What's your favorite pickups?

PauloQS

Reaction score
What the title asked. What pickups do you like for your LP reissues?

I'll start. Personally, I like the stock CustomBucker, BurstBucker 1 & 2, BK Mule/Riff Raff and BK Mule/Black dog. I've also tried other combinations of those pickups, which also sounded great to me. Specifically CustomBucker/BB2, Mule/CustomBucker, BB1/Custombucker, CustomBucker/Riff Raff and CustomBucker/Black Dog sounded really good in my personal opinion.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
1. Are you a magician? Because whenever I look at you, everyone else disappears!

2. I’m not a photographer, but I can picture me and you together.

3. Do I know you? ‘Cause you look a lot like my next girlfriend/boyfriend.

They never work.
I usually haz a disappoint.
But these are my favorite.

PauloQS

Reaction score
1. Are you a magician? Because whenever I look at you, everyone else disappears!

2. I’m not a photographer, but I can picture me and you together.

3. Do I know you? ‘Cause you look a lot like my next girlfriend/boyfriend.

They never work.
I usually haz a disappoint.
But these are my favorite.

Well played :rofl:

bridger

Reaction score

i put these in my 2014 R-8. Honestly, along with Doylle's wiring harness, I didn't know my les paul could sound so good. The Custom buckers seriously can't hold a candle the the Doyle coils.
I am satisfied forever for the life of my R-8

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've had great luck with
Custombuckers
ECP Hallowed Grounds
WIZZ NOS wire
SD Antiquities
PAFs

1allspub

Reaction score
These 3 just always deliver (in no particular order cuz each sounds different, but still good, in the different guitars I’ve tried them in):

RS Guitarworks/Fralin True 60s
Brandonwound 1959 Clones
BKP Mules

Late Edit: I totally forgot about Mojotone '59 Clones... these are also very excellent and are very similar to BKP Mules, IME. If you want Mules, but don't wanna spend the cabbage necessary to get them, the MJT '59s are an excellent, more affordable option.

Last edited:

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
An unexpectedly excellent combination -

Tom Holmes neck
Suhr Doug Aldrich bridge....

I wasn't expecting to like it. In fact I had a set of Wizz ready to drop in. But when I played it I found it to be one of the best combos I've ever heard. Go figure.

DanD

Reaction score
I have a custom set of Throbacks, Custom Buckers, Rolphs, SD '59s, Custom, etc... and several sets of CS Fenders from fat '50s to Nocasters.

I actually like them all and my favorite set is the set I'm playing at any given time.

It really depends on what I feel like hearing at any given time.

Rather than viewing pups as 'best' I see them as 'what flavor do I want today? '

d1m1

Reaction score
I like all pups, P90s, alnico staple P90s, good Strat singlecoils but i like PAFs the most. I would say i´m a PAF guy. So i like good 50s PAFs (because there are also not that good real PAFs out there) and good PAF clones.

IMO the "best" clones are WIZZ 50s wire and regular WIZZ premium clones and also OX4 clones.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a custom set of Throbacks, Custom Buckers, Rolphs, SD '59s, Custom, etc... and several sets of CS Fenders from fat '50s to Nocasters.

I actually like them all and my favorite set is the set I'm playing at any given time.

It really depends on what I feel like hearing at any given time.

Rather than viewing pups as 'best' I see them as 'what flavor do I want today? '
Not to mention, some pups play nicely with certain amps and pedals but not others. Finding the right combinations and settings is one of the really fun parts of this hobby for me.
+1 y’all......this right here! Different flavors!

Latest Threads