What's with these cavity covers?

MSB

Reaction score
what year? They've been using the textured ones since '14 I want to say. Supposed to help with shielding.

Rando375

Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes it is correct. They're not pretty but are correct

Macronaut

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
My Tribute, Classic and Standard HP all came with these...all my 2018s LPs

DylanLP

Reaction score
Have you guys also noticed some cavity covers come in brown or black color on that same model same year?

steve

Reaction score
Apparently the material they're made out of has good shielding properties, more so than shielding tape..........probably a load of rubbish.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
what year? They've been using the textured ones since '14 I want to say. Supposed to help with shielding.
Can't remember what year.
I think it was on FB marketplace and it's best I can't find it again.
It had one of the most beautiful tops I've ever seen...and I'm usually not impressed by that stuff...but I AM a sucker for good mineral streaks.

MSB

Reaction score
the 3 or 4 '13s I had didn't have them, the '14 I had did, and I think my '15 does, so somewhere in between unless someone's swapped them. I think I might even have a set around here somewhere.

I'm not sure about their "shielding" claims, but they seem to resist scratches better than the plain ones.

ACEit

Reaction score
they doesn't shield anything... also because to shield you have to create a kind of "faraday cage".. so shielding only the cover is not enough.

I have them on my 16 trad hp... but still I had to shield the cavities with aluminium tape

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
I certainly could be mistaken, but I thought these covers were supposed to reduce static electric charge, not anything about shielding. :dunno:

519tbarr

Reaction score
This started in 2014. It was not part of the 2013 USA lineup.

ACEit

Reaction score
I certainly could be mistaken, but I thought these covers were supposed to reduce static electric charge, not anything about shielding. :dunno:
people claims about static all over the body, mainly on the back of the body paint... the cover alone doesn't solve anything... if you hear the static is because it reach the electronics... and the only way to make the electronics immune from it is to shield it completely.

;)

MAYBE you will obtain some results making a solid connection between the cover and the ground in order to discharge static ...

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just another Henry's great innovation....

Cjsinla

Reaction score
This started in 2014. It was not part of the 2013 USA lineup.
Got my 2014 Trad in January of that year and it has the smooth covers. I remember seeing the pebbled ones later, I thought they were really cheesy looking.

edselman

Reaction score
I just installed vintage correct, non-shielded, gloss covers on my 2019 Traditional. No static before. No static afterward. I think the real point of the leather grained covers is that they don’t show scratches.

Reactions: MSB

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I wanna say my 16 HP had them before I swapped them out...

The original plastics are in the case under a gazillion other cases so I’m not checking :naughty:

-Chris

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
people claims about static all over the body, mainly on the back of the body paint... the cover alone doesn't solve anything... if you hear the static is because it reach the electronics... and the only way to make the electronics immune from it is to shield it completely.

;)

MAYBE you will obtain some results making a solid connection between the cover and the ground in order to discharge static ...
I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but if the covers were indeed conceived to combat static, then I think the goal was to reduce static, not eliminate it completely. But, despite what others have posted, I just can't see how they could possibly have anything to do with shielding. Makes sense that scratches would be less visible, though.

I had a '93 Classic with smooth covers, and I now have a '16 Traditional and a '16 Tribute that both have the newer textured covers, plus a handful of other electric guitars, and I've never had any sort of static electric charge issues on any of them. My biggest beef with the textured covers is that I think they're fugly as hell! :laugh2: I'm tempted to replace them with regular smooth covers, but I just can't bring myself to spend money on something that I rarely look at, never feel/touch/notice, and doesn't affect the tone of my guitar at all... OR DOES IT??? :hmm::rofl: Hmm, maybe that'll be the next YouTube comparison demo: textured cavity covers vs. smooth ones, does it change your tone?? :rofl: