What's up with the SD Custom 5?

oilpit

Reaction score
The people at Seymour Duncan are freaking OBSESSED with it.
I have emailed them 4 times over the course of a few years to ask about pup recommendations, every time for a different sound and every time they have told to to get the Custom 5/59 combo (one time it was a C5/Jazz)
Anyone have it?
Anyone know why the SD people love it so much?

oilpit

Reaction score
Jesse, I am NOT buying a Tim Shaw.
Now go sell my Strat.
:applause:

Jessenoah

Reaction score
LMAO
i am selling a tim shaw though
:D
im thinking A4 bridge

Big John

MLP: mid life pimple
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've got a Custom 5 tremolo-spaced in one of my parts bins. It's sounds decent. Probably one of my top 4 choices from them. Not earth-shattering tone, but good enough for most mouth breathers. :thumb:

Reaction score
The Custom 5 is a pretty good all around pickup, really not bad at all. Sounds pretty darn good in the Epi SG I've got it in right now, does classic rock to metal equally well. Think "hot '59". Does it sound as good as my WB Habanero 2 or my Shed Paf Daddy's? No, but I do like it.

As for why they keep recommending it? No clue, other than they want to sell a bunch of them.

joebonsai

Reaction score
As you said it's a good allround combination. I've had it in my Edwards LP-112 Jimmy Page Copy. It's a hot PAF, but not as middy as a SH-4, but I've changed it to Antiquities (didn't know Shed Pup's at that time)

Adwex

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have one in my R7, bridge. Yeah, it's pretty hot, maybe too much so.

EEF13

Reaction score
I love the custom 5. it's an all around good pickup and I think it competes with a lot of the boutique pickups

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's the best of the Duncans. An overwound PAF with a bunch of mids.

uOpt

Reaction score
I'm not.

This effect is grounded in the fact that the C5 is about the most dynamic pickup that there is. It reacts much stronger to your playing than anything else, much stronger than any PAF and all that Ceramic wimpy goo.

Unless you currently use a 59 bridge or a JB your jar will drop when you play it at first and many think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Later, the honeymoon phase is over for most as this thing is just clinging to your playing too much and the total lack of compression in the semi-heavy coils can be an annoyance.

It's a good pickup, and sounds good both distorted and (reasonably) clean, but in the end it has about the same amount of long-term fans as other good pickups.

It is just that it creates a huge short-term following.

dbw

Reaction score
I have the C5/59 combo in my strat. The C5 is awesome for heavy distortion. For cleans I prefer the 59.

richedie

Reaction score
My complaint with the C-5 is lack of midrange. Some may say mids are neutral on it, but it sounded a bit hollow to me, where the Rio grande BBQ or JB are much thicker in the mids. Then again, guitars are naturally middy and you can have more room to crank the mids on the amp so there is the argument having a more scooped pickup like the C-5 is a good thing.
I actually use the Wolfetone Timbrewolf in the same application and prefer it for its added thickness and mids. Wolfe makes the best.:thumb:

dbw

Reaction score
My complaint with the C-5 is lack of midrange. Some may say mids are neutral on it, but it sounded a bit hollow to me, where the Rio grande BBQ or JB are much thicker in the mids. Then again, guitars are naturally middy and you can have more room to crank the mids on the amp so there is the argument having a more scooped pickup like the C-5 is a good thing.
I actually use the Wolfetone Timbrewolf in the same application and prefer it for its added thickness and mids. Wolfe makes the best.:thumb:

I agree, the C5 is scooped. I have the RG TX/BBQ set and that has a much fuller (and nicer) midrange. Actually the Rio Grandes are just nicer pickups all around :hmm:

Latest Threads