Whats the worst amp youve ever used with your LP?

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
Most amps I can find something I can live with. Even 80's peaveys!

attachment.php

I do have to say though, this Line6 spider III head I fixed is pretty nasty sounding. I own a similar age Pod 2 and a spider III 15 which can be quite decent, and useful recording/practice tools but take the same thing and push it through a 4x12 at gig volumes and the curtain slips. Compared to the same cab and ANY other amp in the garage it sounds like a low bitrate MP3 compared to the studio master tapes.

I'm convinced that it isn't broken....

Attachments

• DSCF1259.jpg
    DSCF1259.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 80

David Garner

Reaction score
I only own one "bad" amp -- a Fender G-DEC. The Les Paul has never been played through it. I'll have to do that tonight so I can say "the G-DEC."

But it's still a pretty cool amp for what it is. Great practice tool.

brianbzed

Reaction score
A Crate.....it was a cheapie, so no great surprise there.:lol: I tried my Pauls through a Groove Tubes once.....amazingly I couldn't a tone that I liked out of it.....high end boutique amp...disappointing to say the least....:shock:

tdearn

Reaction score
Peavey valve king. It lasted for one rehearsal!

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roland JC120 is an enigma of sorts.... Clean, it is so clean that clean doesn't quite cover it... Can sound beautiful clean (chords) with chorus....
BUT

anything other than clean sounds like dog shite....

Bud bought one new decades back and saved me from doing a dumbass move and buying one....

LP Bob

Reaction score
Anything that says Line 6.

100%. Line6 is the anti-tone. Try stacking tracks with anything Line6, sounds like digital garbage, with ZERO palm mute chunk. My bassist even tried a Line6 bass rig....IT SUCKED SO BAD, they first thing I asked him was "you still have the receipt, right?...you're gonna need it when you return this POS tomorrow". He agreed and bought a smaller Ampeg bass combo that sounded so much better...for LESS MONEY.

Do not buy a Haze, or a solid state Marshall, they are HARSH as hell at live band volume.

Get a Marshall tube amp, maybe a JVM410hjs Satch model (not the regular jvm410), a JCM, a Hughes & Kettner, a Rivera, a Mesa Mark V. Not a big Orange fan.

I'm actually looking at the Kemper, seems to retain 98% of the amp's true tone.

Latest Threads