What's the right tailpiece?

kakerlak

Reaction score
One of the ears is about to fail on my Argus' stoptail. I'd like to find a nickel plated aluminum replacement, but am wondering how much variation there is in MIJ stuff from the era. I'm assuming the studs are metric, as spare US posts I had lying around bind if you try to thread them in. The original posts are actually fine and I'd like to reuse them. Is any metric spec stoptail a likely fit, or is there something I should be looking out for?

Roxy13

Reaction score

kakerlak

Reaction score
Is there any actual difference in the stop bar itself between English and Metric, or is it strictly a difference in post threading?

Roxy13

Reaction score
The spacing for the post is different too. The USA ones don't fit on the metric studs.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Oh and the bushings are different sizes as well. So you can't just go and pull out the bushings and put in new ones without redrilling for US sized ones.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Oh and the bushings are different sizes as well. So you can't just go and pull out the bushings and put in new ones without redrilling for US sized ones.
Thanks, that's really helpful! I don't really have any interest in converting the studs and bushings, since I plan to reuse both, just wondering what I need to look out for in shopping tailpiece-only listings (like just the bar, no studs, no bushings).

Roxy13

Reaction score
Usually they come with studs and bushings anyway for new builds I guess. Or you may find the new studs that come with it are somewhat better threaded, but chances are good your guitar already had a Gotoh/Hosco TP to begin with.

I've also gotten some guitars that had rust on the studs so I replaced them anyway.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Faber also makes aluminum TPs that fit our MIJ guitars if you want another choice besides Gotoh.

Other than those 2 though it seems like most of the other stuff is cheap Chinese hardware. TonePros might have one as well.

kakerlak

Reaction score
This is what was on it.

oE1JrSu.jpg

VixQMXb.jpg

L0XWLrR.jpg

It's a little tough to see in photos, but easy to see in person -- the treble side ear is starting to shear away. It does look a little different than the modern US-spec Gotoh I put on my wife's SG a few years back; that one had a really pronounced/sharp ridge across the top of the bar.

Roxy13

Reaction score
With no markings it's hard to say who made that one.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I'd leave your studs, buy the tailpiece you like and be prepared to fire up the Dremel (or rat tail file) if necessary.
Actually...many companies/sellers have very detailed measurements on their website.
Probably easier to get a center-to-center measurement from the studs, as opposed to the tailpiece

Latest Threads