Whats the most expensive Les Paul youd be comfortable gigging with?

j_ambitious

Reaction score
Would you guys be comfortable gigging with a Custom, Standard or Vintage LP? What would the cutoff be? I'm firmly in the "guitars are meant to be played" camp but curious on others opinions.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
$500 Epis because a road use oopsie isn't going devalue it $500.

KStopper65

Reaction score
I'd gig with a 1959 LP if:-
A.) I gigged
B.) If I could afford one.
Regardless, I think that playability and weight come first when choosing a gigging guitar

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I've done some gigs with my Standard.
The main thing is to never let it out of your sight.
you bring it with you in the case to the backstage room between sets.

I have friends that returned on stage for the 2nd set to no guitar!
So I learned to never let my guard down.
And you also unload / load all your stuff yourself and have a trusted watcher
around the car when you make your trips inside to unload or get the rest of the stuff.

And it's not a bad idea to lie about your equipment.
I've told some quirky guy my Les Paul was actually a piece of shit copy
with the Gibson logo on it because I would not bring a real Les Paul to a gig.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I bought my '80 Gibson "Jimmy Wallace" ( Pre-Run/Proto) '58 Quilted LP Standard in '84 for $500.

Today because this was one of 2 or 3 Pre-Run "Jimmy Wallace" '58 Quilted Top "examples" sent to Jimmy by Gibson to approve before his 1st official order, this guitar is pretty rare and exclusive.

I'd guess its value at between $17K-$20K+/- for what it is.

I guess this would be the most expensive Gibson LP I'd consider gigging.

I actually gigged it back between '84-'88, but of course I didn't know how rare and valuable it was at the time.

I'm 61 right now, and I have no intention of ever doing a regular weekend gig, but if I were asked to do a fund raiser or some sort of tribute gig, I'd have no problem playing it live.

Here's a picture of the guitar, and a pic of me with it on stage back in '84 or '85

Peter M

Reaction score
Standards and Classics have been my workhorses for years... stage, studio, & couch... indoors and out.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I bought my '80 Gibson "Jimmy Wallace" ( Pre-Run/Proto) '58 Quilted LP Standard in '84 for $500.

Today because this was one of 2 or 3 Pre-Run "Jimmy Wallace" '58 Quilted Top "examples" sent to Jimmy by Gibson to approve before his 1st official order, this guitar is pretty rare and exclusive.

I'd guess its value at between $17K-$20K+/- for what it is.

I guess this would be the most expensive Gibson LP I'd consider gigging.

I actually gigged it back between '84-'88, but of course I didn't know how rare and valuable it was at the time.

I'm 61 right now, and I have no intention of ever doing a regular weekend gig, but if I were asked to do a fund raiser or some sort of tribute gig, I'd have no problem playing it live.

Here's a picture of the guitar, and a pic of me with it on stage back in '84 or '85

Wow! What a guitar. Just stunning.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I would gig with my Studio 60's Tribute, but it would get stolen as well probably if it left my sight since it still says Gibson on it. Any guitar you don't want stolen from a Gig, you should put it back in the case and take it back stage with you. Unless you or your crew stay around the stage keeping any eye on things.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a grand total of $950 in my Tribute, including the pickup replacement and all the other part swaps. And a generic case. So, I'd gig with it, if I did that sort of thing.

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Everyone views money differently. It's not about money. It's about losing the guitar you have bonded with, and at any price, that's a travesty.

I only play my number one at shows and at $500 or $5000, it doesn't matter. Losing your number one hurts.

That said, I play shows with my custom shop R9 because I usually have a place to lock it up and life's too short to play a guitar you don't love.

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
Any specific precautions you take?
Not really. It’s generally never out of my sight, but I have taken a piss amd left it behind. Usually another band member or friend is nearby, but I could be more careful. As for it getting banged around, I don’t go out of my way to beat it up, but if it hits something or gets dinged…I dont care.

One time, my co-guitar player somehow left his two Standards out in the sidewalk as he was loading up after a gig. He didn’t realize it until the next morning. And this wasn’t the nicest of towns.

turns out, the bartender saw them as he was locking up and put them away inside the bar for the night!

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
If I can’t gig with a guitar it is not much use to me!
Same here, though I have a 2019 Les Paul Junior that I'm not sure I'm going to keep, so I'm saving it for home use until I decide.
Otherwise my most expensive Les Paul is my 2011 60s Tribute GT, which cost me £650 used. I have gigged it a number of times, but it's never far from me. Even though it's not as valuable as a Standard or Classic, it has 'Gibson' on the headstock, so I figure that makes it a target: I remember one open mic I took it to and from some comments of other players you'd have thought I brought a real 1956 GT with me!
I also gig my SG Standard, which is my most expensive guitar, though again it's never far from me at any point during or after the gig.

sparky2

Reaction score
I have gigged my most expensive guitars before, no worries.

If you leave them at home, they get jealous of the cheaper guitars, and then you get that sulky attitude for weeks.

Who needs that?

:confused:

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
Back in 1965 I gigged with the only electric guitar I had - a handbuilt first series ES-335 model HOYER from Germany, my mom forked out 670 deutschmarks for her. It was a fortune then and these days I'd do it just the same. Last gig, before the pandemic, in 2019 I graced the stage with my 2015 Deluxe Goldtop and a 1969 Tele from a German luthier. There ya go.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I've gigged everything from Tributes and MIM Fenders to Historics and Custom Shops. No worries from me and I don't mind battle scars (in fact I welcome them). If I had a truly vintage and / or valuable guitar (like maybe $5K + give or take) I likely wouldn't do bar gigs with it.

Latest Threads