What's the most amount of money you've spent on gear that you couldn't try out?

bad565ss

Reaction score
Too many used amps to list and a couple of Les Pauls that ended up being my #1 and #2 keepers.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I bought my Orange Rocker 15 Terror head for CDN$800+tax without having plugged in. I felt that I knew enough about what to expect having previously owned a Tiny Terror. I lucked out because I like it better.

scott1970

Reaction score
It was well over $3000 used. Brand new was in the $4500 range. Best playing and most stunning looking guitars I’ve ever picked up.

View attachment 452042
Tell me about that beer in the background. I’m not familiar with that one. Also, sharp guitar.

My most expensive one came from Mark’s so I wasn’t too worried about it. Worked out fine.

fry

Reaction score
I don't think buying a guitar from one of the big box stores like SW, MF, GC, etc really counts since they will take it back within 30-45 days if you aren't happy
That’s a good point that I didn’t think of, for some reason. I would have to change my answer, then. I don’t think it’s ever been a lot of money, I wouldn’t risk a high sum if there wasn’t some sort of return policy.

Lungo

Reaction score
Tell me about that beer in the background. I’m not familiar with that one. Also, sharp guitar.

My most expensive one came from Mark’s so I wasn’t too worried about it. Worked out fine.
Epic Brewing Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout. Don’t remember much about it except it was good company while doing a pickup swap.

Wailing

Reaction score
1960 Melody Maker from Belgium (I live in England) ... I paid £2000 and it is ... I’m pleased to say an awesome tone machine. I bought it through Reverb... not sure if they would have helped me out if it was a dud in any way
00C07475-52A3-40DA-AA35-398478BF549A.jpeg

burke

Reaction score
It was my Yamaha RGZ820R in the Watermelon Plaid color, the Blues Saranceno signature model. Bought it on E-bay, for $2100. I overpaid a bit but I have never seen another in just about mint condition. The seller was selling it for studio time and sent me a letter with the guitar telling me about the guitar, what the money was going towards as well as his bands CD.

Attachments

rockstar232007

Reaction score
$400 on a 2003 MIM Fender Splatter Strat from AMS.

Great guitar, but FULL of flaws. The neck was loose in the pocket, and the treble-side edge of the frets/fretboard was shaved a little to much. It almost looked like someone had taken a saw to it.

I didn't bother returning it, bc other than those two things, it was still a great guitar. Not to mention how much of a PITA (mainly bc of UPS) it was to get it in the first place.

Sold it about 10 years ago, to fund my LP Classic, so no regrets.:)

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
What about you guys?

I've bought all of the above shown equipment 'unseen'
(~ € 11.000.-)

though I knew what I was getting - or
could send it back if I did not like it - or
could sell it without a loss

Last edited:

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I spent about $1800 Canadian on my Charvel build, which I obviously couldn't try out beforehand.

Standard

Reaction score
Spent around $350 for a used 2011 junior from musicians friend. It was listed as poor condition, related to playing. Figuring it just needed a setup I pulled the trigger and hoped. Turns out I needed to install a bridge with adjustable saddles but all told I was in less than $450. Great guitar, sustain for days and sounded great. Had to sell it a couple years ago when money was really tight and I had 9 guitars, sometimes choices have to be made. But I over doubled my money and had a pretty cool guitar for 7 years, so I can't complain too much.

Liquid State

Reaction score
$1800 on PRS McCarty 2001, Indian Rosewood neck, birds, nice top...

very happy I pulled the trigger

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
I watch him. I couldn't spend money like that with the speculation that they will sell. Plus he has a couple little ones, I'd be worried about them especially during these times.
I'm guessing he at least plans to break even by reselling them in addition to the YouTube revenue he will get from videos on those guitars.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
$599 for a Sterling St Vincent. Just needed a bit of a setup out of the box. Excellent guitar - very happy with it

ErictheRed

Reaction score
It's one thing to buy used knowing that you can flip it for about the same price, give or take. Same with ordering new from a place like Guitar Center online, you just return it to your local store, no big deal. But I just bought a high-dollar new guitar from a dealer in Germany, ouch! I can't complain too much as I saved a lot over buying from a dealer here in the States, but if it doesn't work out I can't really return it without losing a lot...

I had money burning a hole in my pocket after selling a Blackface Vibrolux, that's the only reason I pulled the trigger I think. That and the USD to EUR exchange rate is really good right now (projected to get even better soon, but you never know).

Latest Threads