Whats the downside to super slim neck thickness , seems most people like 50s profile

Deftone

Reaction score
It's all personal preference and familiarity and I think how people hold the neck might come into play.

I wear an XL-2XL glove so my hands are not small. I prefer thin necks, but I don't have any issue with big fat 50's style necks. My '67 SG jr. gets a little narrow at the nut....I'd prefer it was a bit wider.

Try an Ibanez neck sometime...extremely thin but the fret board is wide and roomy.

j_ambitious

Reaction score
Slim taper necks do not fill my hand and cause it to cramp from a lack of support, especially when playing barre chords at the lower frets.

I do not keep my thumb behind the neck at all times. The thumb goes where it wants to go without consciously thinking about it.

I prefer a baseball bat cut in half lengthwise with a fretboard glued on top of the sawed off portion.

The idea that slim necks are faster does not register with me. My hand can move up and down a neck as fast as it needs to regardless of neck profile.

Yeah the term "faster" is weird to me when it comes to necks. I can play either just fine but 50s necks are easier to barre for me. It doesn't cramp my hand as easy.

LCW

Reaction score
I think “50s” is misleading. I have a ‘21 50s Standard that is nice and round but not fat or chunky. At least nowhere near 58 Reissue (R8 Historic) thick.

I also have a ‘21 Studio that is supposed to be “slim taper” but doesn’t feel thin. Has a similar rounded C shape. Not much smaller than my ‘21 50s Standard.

I would be nice if Gibson posted both width AND thickness at 1st and 12th frets for all their necks. And also if it’s a C, D or U shape. Some vendors measure and list more detailed measurements than Gibson does.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I think “50s” is misleading. I have a ‘21 50s Standard that is nice and round but not fat or chunky. At least nowhere near 58 Reissue (R8 Historic) thick.

I also have a ‘21 Studio that is supposed to be “slim taper” but doesn’t feel thin. Has a similar rounded C shape. Not much smaller than my ‘21 50s Standard.

I would be nice if Gibson posted both width AND thickness at 1st and 12th frets for all their necks. And also if it’s a C, D or U shape. Some vendors measure and list more detailed measurements than Gibson does.
^^ +1, the TAPER is a lot more important than the OVERALL thickness when it comes to how the neck will feel. I have a traditional 50's neck that measures 1.00" @ 12th fret, but it is nicely rounded that fits my hand like a glove. Very different from a tele 50's I played in the store with same thickness.

No downside with 60's necks... I like to have both

MP4-22

Reaction score
I don't mind the slim taper, Just on a les paul i like more of the 50's shape. My SG is thin taper, i get on with it well.

Reaction score
Neck thickness never really bothers me, I have guitars all over the spectrum. Neck width really throws me off though. Going from my Fender Mustang (super thin neck) to my Explorer (super wide neck) takes a few minutes to adjust. All part of the fun I guess! Chips down I'd take the semi neck on my SG Special over anything else.

rogue3

Reaction score
Hands are like fingerprints...everyone is different. That is just anatomy. So the only downside(?),to the op's question...uh,there is none, imho. Except as was suggested, stability. But i don't really know if this is even true, as i've never encountered a messed up thinner neck. If it is well constructed, thin or thick...they can both be unstable?

This is a question for a luthier.

shickma0

Reaction score
Just wondering why most people dont like the super wafer thin neck profile of 60s, ..seems most love the 59 profile . Is there a downside to super thin ? Does the hand cramp after an hour ? can it cause tendonites ? ..Please educate me , Thanks
I used to swear by baseball bat necks, since I learned on a Junior. Then I got a 59 neck which I liked because I could play faster but it still felt chunky. Now I only play 60s slim necks and I feel like it fits my play style better. Definitely a matter of preference. I never noticed any cramping or fatigue outside of what you would expect with any of the necks.

shark

Reaction score
I just keep trying to find one I dont like :)

Attachments

• 1638005023377.png
    1638005023377.png
    895.3 KB · Views: 6

vivanchenko

Reaction score
I used to swear by baseball bat necks, since I learned on a Junior. Then I got a 59 neck which I liked because I could play faster but it still felt chunky. Now I only play 60s slim necks and I feel like it fits my play style better. Definitely a matter of preference. I never noticed any cramping or fatigue outside of what you would expect with any of the necks.
Glued wood is very stable. An extra millimeter or two this way or another will not make any significant difference.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
There is no downside to the Slimer neck profile at all, it just depends on which neck profile feels the best to you. There is the 50's baseball bat neck profile, the 58 neck profile a little bit smaller than the baseball bat profile for those that like a thicker neck but don't like the huge super chunky one, then the 59 neck profile which is just a little bit smaller than the 58 and then the 60's Slim Taper neck profile. I like the 60's slim taper neck profile myself, my hands just feel a lot more comfortable playing the 60's neck compared to the others. I can get away with playing the Medium C 59 neck profile, it is not horrible, but I am still most comfortable playing a 60's neck. I am 6' 2" with medium sized hands, not small hands by a long shot and I still really like the Slim Taper neck over the 59.

Some people prefer the thicker neck because of a little bit fuller tone. The 59 Burst guitars really had that killer tone, a little bit fuller and harmonic than the 60's Bursts, which some attribute to the thicker neck.

Last edited:

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think that Gibson makes anything "super slim". There are other non-Gibson guitars with slimmer necks than a Gibson "slim 60s" neck. Personally, though, I prefer the Gibson "60s slim" as it is a nice medium overall. My slimmest neck overall is my '79 SG Standard -- slightly thinner than a current "slim 60s" neck, setup with 9-42's, low action, smooth neck bending, and its original low frets; this SG is a very fast-playing guitar with no speed bumps at all. That being said, I have Les Pauls with fatter-50s-style and also slim-60s style necks, all setup with 10-46's and higher frets. The SG does play faster, but I attribute any "less fast-ness" of my Les Pauls compared to my SG due to string size more than anything (and a bit to the frets), and not really the actual thickness of the neck.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I have a 21 year-old Classic with the slim taper neck and a 2018 Traditional with the 50's wider neck. I get along with both (despite having smaller hands). It takes me less than 5 minutes to get the ”hang” of either one when I switch guitars. As long as the setup and action suits the guitar, (I set mine up myself) I don't really mind the difference between each neck. I tend to play with a light touch and resort to finger picking similar to an acoustic with flat pick and fingers.

Classicplayer

palmerfralick

Reaction score
Hand/forearm cramps on very thin necks, I have a heavy grip and I need the support of a thick neck. My 2006 R8 is the thickest necks I've ever played and it's one of the best. I need to have a light touch TBH but I just naturally grip hard.

"just hold on loosely but don't let go, if you cling to tightly you're gonna, you're gonna lose control" 38 Special

Last edited:

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
no downside for me, I'll play anything but prefer a slim one

speyfly

Reaction score
For me, a slim 60's taper neck is the best neck for a Gibson. I have a 2000 SG with the 50's profile that rarely gets out of her case.

Pointmonger

Reaction score
Got a buddy who swears by the 50's thicker necks. I'll bring my Standard 60's around for him to play and he talks about how great the neck plays, then I remind him it's a slim taper neck.

"Yeah, I'd never get an LP with a slim taper neck."

Lol

• Haha
Reactions: LCW

Nintari

Reaction score
There is no logical downside. Some people play better with slim necks. Some play better with thicker necks. That's all it is.

For me, a thin neck cramps my hand, so I always go for a 50's style if possible.

Latest Threads