Whats the downside to super slim neck thickness , seems most people like 50s profile

Robby

Reaction score
Just wondering why most people dont like the super wafer thin neck profile of 60s, ..seems most love the 59 profile . Is there a downside to super thin ? Does the hand cramp after an hour ? can it cause tendonites ? ..Please educate me , Thanks

Rob H.

Reaction score
I try to play with a relaxed fretting hand and a light touch. With a thin neck, my relaxed hand doesn’t end up pressing as firmly on the fretboard so my hand does more of the work to cleanly fret the note(s).

msalama

Reaction score
See my avatar.

The Tele's got a chunky and glossy neck, whereas the Lester has a wafer-thin one, and I love them both. The Lester plays much faster when the situation calls for it, but with the Tele, you can really dig in and spank her without any fret buzzes or anything. So it's not either-or but both, depending on the situation, and neither is better than the other per se, they're just different.

Just my $0..002 though, YMMV.

Last edited:

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find super thin necks uncomfortable. I like a '50s neck that fills my hand. Everyone plays differently.

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slim taper necks do not fill my hand and cause it to cramp from a lack of support, especially when playing barre chords at the lower frets.

I do not keep my thumb behind the neck at all times. The thumb goes where it wants to go without consciously thinking about it.

I prefer a baseball bat cut in half lengthwise with a fretboard glued on top of the sawed off portion.

The idea that slim necks are faster does not register with me. My hand can move up and down a neck as fast as it needs to regardless of neck profile.

Last edited:

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just wondering why most people dont like the super wafer thin neck profile of 60s, ..seems most love the 59 profile . Is there a downside to super thin ? Does the hand cramp after an hour ? can it cause tendonites ? ..Please educate me , Thanks

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a thin neck on one of my reissues, its the V2, I thought it would help as i have small hands, but turns out it didn't really. Its my 'pagey'.

The 59 type profiles are quite comfortable in hand, and I think thats more important, the only neck i played that did help my playing was the one on the 2020 les paul special double cut, which is probably a V3 neck equiv.

I noticed watching the Andertons uk music shop video of the R0 60th launch demo, at the end when they pick one each to jam with Danish Pete picks up the V3 and immediately puts it down and picks up the V2, so I am thinking that the V3 felt too thin.

The debate about if thin necks affect tone is ongoing. My take is probably, but better/worse? completely subjective.

I think the above post is true, education, its through experience we find what works for us.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
What's the downside? None. Thin necks don't sound better or worse. The sweetest Les Paul I ever heard had a very thin neck and it sustained for hours.

Some people seem to think that heavy LPs with thick necks sustain better in line with Les Paul's "log" concept which is not correct, because it completely disregards resonance.

I admit that until a few years ago I also was chasing thick necks. Then I noticed/realized that thin necks sound and sustain just as well.

The only real reason to choose a thick neck is playability. Some people find that thick necks are more comfortable, some prefer thin necks. If you have small hands you are more likely to find that thin necks are more comfortable.

Last edited:

Great R8

Reaction score
Hand/forearm cramps on very thin necks, I have a heavy grip and I need the support of a thick neck. My 2006 R8 is the thickest necks I've ever played and it's one of the best. I need to have a light touch TBH but I just naturally grip hard.

framos

Reaction score
Same for me here, after some time playing a thin neck I have hand cramps, I feel like I need to work more to fret notes as my palm is not fully supported, kind of 'in the air'. And I have small hands...

Buffalo

Reaction score
Having toilet lid sized hands, i don't feel much of a difference besides the angle of the thumb being slightly different. What's more important for me is a wide flat frettboard to have enough space for the fingers. Classic fender 9.5" radius is hard to play for me without pressing 3 strings at once with each finger.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All personal preference. A super thin neck will be more unstable with temp and humidity fluctuation though. My preference is regular or medium sized 0.800" @ first fret....I find a super thin neck feels awkward, but I dislike a fat neck...I really dislike stupidly fat necks.

Peter M

Reaction score
Personal preference, no downside. For every guy that loves a fat neck there's a guy that loves a thin one.

I favor the slim profile, but enjoy a thicker profile as a changeup... so I use both types.

bum

Reaction score
My 70s Strat has a baseball bat neck, my 335 a slim 60s neck, I have zero preference to be honest

PAPADON

Reaction score
I have no idea. They all feel the same to me. My Wife says that I'm insensitive. Maybe she's right.:facepalm:

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
60s only for me…
my customs, std and trads have fat necks which are fine but give me a classic neck, all day every day….
plus I play kinda fat strings so I can get better purchase on the strings with a slighter neck radius...

-chris

truckermde

Reaction score
I have giant paws, and my hands feel a bit cramped on skinny necks, after playing for a bit.

However, I will submit that if one plays with a proper left hand technique, then it is less of an issue. I just got comfortable with a fist full of mahogany, and prefer to keep it that way. :)

Funny thing is, I didn't know any better until I got a fat neck Lester after making do for like 30yrs with whatever.

Now that I found perfect, I can't unlearn what I know.

Except for that proper technique thing. No problem unlearning that, LOL.

Comfort FTW!

Latest Threads