What's the difference?

randelli

Reaction score
OK I am usually a pretty intelligent guy but I have know idea what the differences between the different LP's are. R09, BFG, vintage burst custom faded......... I cant tell anything but the color LOL!

What do these mean and what makes one better than the other? l look at the real/fake posts and I can't tell them apart (please don't try to sell me a fakie) even though I look really close at both. You guys are amazing! you can tell by knob alignment or color of fretwire. Just insane.

Finally, and please do not be offended, is the really such a thing as fake epi's? Aren't all epi's fake when you really stop to think about it? I am coming from the fender perspective where Fender USA is real and Squire is crap. I always assumed it was the same with Gibson and Epiphone. Please enlighten me as I think I would like a Gibson which I could not afford and could settle for an Epiphone if it is a good thing to have. I have a friend who bought an Epi off of ebay and it plays and sounds like a cheap chinese toy - maybe this one is a fake and that is why my opinion is such as it is.

I do like to read alot about guitars and look forward to your responses. If there is a link with all of this explained you can send it my way.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Don't worry. None of us will sell you a fake! :laugh2: There are fake Epis, but I'm not as good with spotting those. When you've seen as many fakes as we have, all you'll have to do is glance at them and you'll know! You're in the right place, bro!

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Basically for the different models, the higher up the price the better they are generally. Not to act like your stupid and shouldn't know that though. I'm not too sure because I only own Epis currently when it comes to what models have exactly what. But the Studio is the basic guitar, plastic nut, no binding, lowest Pups on a Gibson. Then if you upgrade, you start getting binding, better inlays and pickups, a bone nut. Perhaps a better finish also. It all depends on what you like.

When it comes to Epiphones, yes they do fake Epiphones. I could probably go on eBay and find at least 10 of them right now. And on the UK eBay its even worse unfortunately. I guess people call me a fakebuster, along with GNR4EVR, but we used to search eBay to report fakes and email the user telling them to take it off. When eBay stopped caring, and not taking them down we stop also. Maybe we will start up again, but yes, there are fake Epiphones, even more so than fake Gibsons. And the worse part is, its harder to find a fake Epiphone, they are better looking fakes. And whats even worse, is the Epi is an entry level guitar, so most people buying them have no idea what to expect.

Your buddy might have a fake Epiphone, generally they sound like crap. But legit Epis should sound pretty good, I don't understand why a lot of people look down on them like they are just POS guitars. If you can post a few pics of your buddies guitars and I'll letcha know if its legit or fake.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
But the Studio is the basic guitar, plastic nut, no binding, lowest Pups on a Gibson. Then if you upgrade, you start getting binding, better inlays and pickups, a bone nut. Perhaps a better finish also. It all depends on what you like.
Sorry, but this isn't true.
I own a LP Standard, Custom, R8 & R9...and they all have a Corian nut, not bone. I emailed Gibson and asked. Also, Studios do not have the lowest pups. 490/498 pups are Studio pups, they're also used in the $3,600 Customs; so, don't say they're the lowest pups.

randelli, Gibson is similar to Fender. Basically, you have two lines of guitars. Gibson USA and Gibson Custom. Just like Fender and Fender's Custom Shop, right? Spend a few minutes on gibson.com and gibsoncustom.com and you should start understanding the differences between the models.

As far as price goes, from least expensive to most expensive, it's:

Gibson USA
BFG - Studio - Standard Faded - Classic/Classic Antique - Traditional - Standard.

Gibson Custom
1954, 1957 & 1958 reissue - Custom - 1959 & 1960 reissue.

I'm sure I've missed a couple, but you get the idea.

Oh, and by the way...sorry to hear that you are coming from the Fender perspective.
It's about time you upgraded to a real guitar. :D

moonchild

Reaction score
sorry, But This Isn't True.
I Own A Lp Standard, Custom, R8 & R9...and They All Have A Corian Nut, Not Bone. I Emailed Gibson And Asked. Also, Studios Do Not Have The Lowest Pups. 490/498 Pups Are Studio Pups, They're Also Used In The $3,600 Customs; So, Don't Say They're The Lowest Pups.

+ 1

randelli

Reaction score
Would I be correct in guessing that R8 & R9 would be the S# prefix and indicate the year it was built- like GO-13?

I will have to go play some and see how they are. The only place nearby is a GC, and IMHO they are a clearance house for factory blem's and seconds. Any recomendations on where to go to get good guitars?

Voxman23

Reaction score
I own a LP Standard, Custom, R8 & R9...and they all have a Corian nut, not bone. I emailed Gibson and asked. Also, Studios do not have the lowest pups. 490/498 pups are Studio pups, they're also used in the $3,600 Customs; so, don't say they're the lowest pups.

randelli, Gibson is similar to Fender. Basically, you have two lines of guitars. Gibson USA and Gibson Custom. Just like Fender and Fender's Custom Shop, right? Spend a few minutes on gibson.com and gibsoncustom.com and you should start understanding the differences between the models.

Gibson USA
BFG - Studio - Standard Faded - Classic/Classic Antique - Traditional - Standard.

Gibson Custom

Oh, and by the way...sorry to hear that you are coming from the Fender perspective.

Very nicely put!!!

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Very nicely put!!!
:cheers:

Would I be correct in guessing that R8 & R9 would be the S# prefix and indicate the year it was built- like GO-13?

I will have to go play some and see how they are. The only place nearby is a GC, and IMHO they are a clearance house for factory blem's and seconds. Any recomendations on where to go to get good guitars?
Yes, R9 is 1959 reissue, etc.
When you start looking at serial numbers, you'll notice they look like X XXXX, sometimes without a space. A serial number might be 9 8555. Meaning, the 555th 1959 reissue built in 2008. Make sense?

As for GC. Well, you could always go there just to try them out and if you find what you like then look elsewhere to buy it. This forum also has a classifieds section where you might get lucky and find the guitar you want. Another on-line suggestion would be to go to lespaulforum.com and check out their on-line dealers. Click here.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Gibson USA

Gibson Custom

Whoops, sorry I thought I had correct info but I guess not, thanks for clearing it up.

Latest Threads