Whats the deal with PRS guitars?

glenngross

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned several PRS guitars in their lower SE line - Bernie Marsden single cut, Paul Allender metal guitar with EMGs and bats, SE Custom.

They were all high quality guitars, but for some reason I was not crazy about them. I sold all of them except for one SE Custom which was a limited Sweetwater run with matching headstock. I kind of regret getting rid of Paul Allender, as it was the best looking one out of the bunch I owned and it had bat inlays instead of birds for a change!

The thing that I don't understand is why people buy multiple PRS guitars in various colors/woods with essentially identical functionality and design. This wood library thing is quite big with PRS fans. I am a member of PRS forum and I see people posting groups of their PRS guitars which to me look identical except for the wood grain and color.
For the same reason many here have multiple R9s and other duplicate reissues, I’d imagine.

NJDevil

Reaction score
2010 thru 2014 was my "cure LP GAS" phase and in that time grabbed a Tokai LS-135, Edwards LP92 gold top w/ upgrades to wiring, POTS and Lollar P90s, and a '14 LP Traditional. For good measure, I added a mint '97 Gibson Firebird. I still love them all but remember trying a wide range of PRS models and loved the necks of many but the tone on most left me with varying degrees of being unimpressed.

In 2016, I was at Rudy's in NYC and tried a used and solid white beat-up PRS (I have no idea of the model) and I bonded immediately. I had to walk away because I was really light on funds at the time.

Now? After over 30 years of playing, I was set on getting ,my first Tele but QC issues are leaving me in doubt. Then I stumbled on what will be my next purchase..... A PRS Fiore signature. Not out yet but loved what I heard and know that I'll bond with the 1.7" width at the nut. Why not a Strat? I have a few but this thing just seems really special so I'm excited for them to be released to the market.... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FioreAy--prs-fiore-electric-guitar-amaryliss-with-maple-fingerboard

dro

Reaction score
PRS are gorgeous guitars. Especially the Santana model. Price tag not quite so gorgeous.

Of the ones I've played, Overdriven tone are fine. It's the clean tones that don't shine for me.

25" scale makes .010"s a bit stiff and .009"s way too slinky for my taste.

If going for that carved top look. The Carvin CT6 has a much better tone IMO. At a much better price point.

E.T.

Reaction score
They do use some nice woods. To my ears they're just a bit trebleier than a swiss cheesed LP and about the same as a chambered one though, and the curves are a bit wrong except on the Santana models like this one, at which point a "Pribson" doublecut is cheaper. Also I hate Fender style trems.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
My 2012 PRS SE ‘“Orianthi” model (the only year with a flamed maple top and no sparkle paint) is my go-to. And one important thing i noticed with the bands on a music cruise — when it was time for a really rocking number the lead picked up a PRS. PRS pickups all seem to have the right degree of “heat” for me, as I can get gain driven sustain this no mud or sizzle — at least with my amp.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
25" scale makes .010"s a bit stiff and .009"s way too slinky for my taste.
yep....I went with those 9.5 Ernie Balls on mine and that works pretty well

Dolebludger

Reaction score
No, just the guitar. After the 2012 model year, the guitar was discontinued, apparently because Orianthi started advertising for Fretlite guitars. Thats a shame because this guitar has an ebony board, maple neck (thin) mahogany body with a maple cap. All the goodies.

Latest Threads