Whats the deal with PRS guitars?

LP1865

Reaction score
I mean, they look awesome, sound awesome.
Why do people not like them?
I'm no trolling, but I am considering a PRS SE

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
I was watching a clip of Mike Campbell the other day talking about his rickenbacker 620/12 and how Tom Petty loved it so much he used it on the album cover.

He was saying that as guitar player he has hundreds of guitars now compared to when he started out and all of them were used in a song or album in a way like a painter would use a certain specific paint to bring out a certain hue in their painting. If they felt like the song needed more red, then they'd pick out maybe a telecaster and give that a go or some other guitar until they found what they were looking for and were able to paint the whole picture.

Which brings the whole PRS vs this that and the other to mere semantics, that's not what's important. Use it as painter would use a brush or a certain paint.

Last edited:

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They feel sterile :lol:

They are beautiful but I’ve yet to fine one I can get attached too
I’ve never understood this. Do you really think that or are you just saying that because others do? What is sterile? They don’t sound 100% like a les Paul maybe, but since every Les Paul doesn’t sound the same I don’t know what that means either. What a Les Paul sound like is different for every person and also sound different based on pickups and the amp. I’ve had several PRS and always seem to have one in the stable.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the sterile comment. I had a really nice PRS CE 24. It felt kind of in between a Strat and a Les Paul. Like a compromise. Well I have a Strat. I have a bunch of Les Paul's. I really didn't need something in between. So I sold it. But, just like tone, to each their own. I'm happy some people love them. I'm a huge Doobie Brothers fan, and Tom Johnston plays them exclusively. And, of course, he makes some of my favorite music with them. I'm not a PRS hater, at all. It just didn't do it *for me*.

Zungle

Reaction score
I love the PRS SE Soapbar II........the P90's and fat neck were anything but sterile

I sold mine years ago to fund another Gibson LP Studio and regretted it almost immediately......

Last edited:

NotScott

Reaction score
I think the sterile criticism is primarily aimed at the Custom. That model in particular sounds very clean, precise and even when compared to the typical warts found on Fender, Gibson and Gretsch guitars. And that wide, flat neck is not something that many vintage-style fans enjoy.

Also, and this is probably more of a local observation on my part but, here in Florida, PRS guitars are seen as doctor's/lawyer's wall art that only makes it out of the house with the obligatory khakis and shorts to the local classic rock jams. Many feel they are too gussied up for "serious" musicians. :rolleyes:

All of that being said, they do make some guitars that will appeal even to the snobbiest of vintage guitar nerds. The McCarty's and Grissoms in particular feel and sound much like vintage Gibsons and it's pretty obvious to see what inspired them to offer the Silver Sky and Starla lines. I have a Santana Anniversary that has the chunkiest mahogany neck this side of a 50s Gibby with a short scale and easier for my hands 10" radius. With the right pickups and coil splitting, I can get close enough to LP and Strat tones to make it a very effective gig tool, local critics be damned. :laugh2:

Like any company, PRS offers something for anyone but not something for everyone.

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never understood this. Do you really think that or are you just saying that because others do? What is sterile? They don’t sound 100% like a les Paul maybe, but since every Les Paul doesn’t sound the same I don’t know what that means either. What a Les Paul sound like is different for every person and also sound different based on pickups and the amp. I’ve had several PRS and always seem to have one in the stable.
First is the feel of them, the necks are sticky to me, now I’ve never done the 4000 grit to one but they’re very sticky.

The body also feels really weird too, I’m not sure if it’s because it’s thinner than a les Paul or if it’s the carve of the body but it just doesn’t feel comfortable.

Then there’s the tone, i’ve heard a few that sounded incredible, some of the prettiest cleans I’ve ever heard but I haven’t found one with a rock or metal sound I like.

I will get one one day because they’re beautiful and I’m very curious about the reasons why we don’t get along with each other, that McCarty above is stunning, damn he finds some beautiful wood

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
First is the feel of them, the necks are sticky to me, now I’ve never done the 4000 grit to one but they’re very sticky.

The body also feels really weird too, I’m not sure if it’s because it’s thinner than a les Paul or if it’s the carve of the body but it just doesn’t feel comfortable.

Then there’s the tone, i’ve heard a few that sounded incredible, some of the prettiest cleans I’ve ever heard but I haven’t found one with a rock or metal sound I like.

I will get one one day because they’re beautiful and I’m very curious about the reasons why we don’t get along with each other, that McCarty above is stunning, damn he finds some beautiful wood

I prefer the PRS single cuts because the double cuts don’t feel right to me either - I get that one. I have a ME with mini buckers in it and it has really unique tones. The rosewood neck is incredible. I want a single cut version of it though. Could be that you just don’t like the PRS pickups too but you can fix that.

NotScott

Reaction score
PRS pickups are typically very good. Their takes on vintage PAF tone are very satisfying. I loved the stock bridge pup in this guitar but the neck was too muddy for my taste but this is a Santana model and he is known for that rolled off tone thing. I replaced them with some Bare Knuckles and added push/pull pots to split the coils. This is my most versatile guitar:

And it looks right at home on a stage with some of my more "traditional" guitars:

tzd

Reaction score
I wish they make SE’s with narrower neck and closer string separation. I feel clumsy playing the SE because of the neck width.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with sterile. They sound like PRS.
The do not sound like a Lester nor a Strat.
Different mass, different scale length, different pickups.

Best way to compare a PRS is to not compare it. Just play it.

If folks played a Moonstone or especially an Alembic guitar blindfolded with no clue of Manu, many would not like em because they damn sure don't sound Lesterish or anythingish....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lester fanatics usually don't like Strats...and vice versa....

Tele fanatics usually don't like either and especially those like a Gretsch big body 'orangeade' guitar....

Just is....

Many bass players might cut yo ass if you made em play a show with a Gib bass or a Hofner...and contrary too...

Humerns is weird.

jvin248

Reaction score
... I am considering a PRS SE
The problem is most buyers don't know going in how their choices effect the tone they get.
Too many get a 24 fret model, because hey that's like two free frets, and then complain they don't sound like a Les Paul. If you want more of a LP tone then get a 22 fret model. The 24 fret models put the neck pickup where an SG pickup is positioned.

You can buy any old 'sterile' PRS guitar and spend time adjusting pickup heights and swapping pots 'n caps to fix any of them for less than ten bucks and a little time -- if they are not what you want when they arrive at your door step. So your risk is low. The SE models use the same pickups and electronics and some parts that the S2 MIA models use.

Last edited:

joba

Reaction score
Got this Special 22 Semi hollow about two months ago. I cant put it down. The neck is shaped great , super light. So many different tones
available. Craftsmanship is beautiful.
IMG_2861.jpeg

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
I like their oddball stuff best. I think the Mira and Starla get away from the sterile stuff. I guess the sterile thing for me is what others call tone. Personally Strats are dead in my hands, we all have our preferences.

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is most buyers don't know going in how their choices effect the tone they get.
Too many get a 24 fret model, because hey that's like two free frets, and then complain they don't sound like a Les Paul. If you want more of a LP tone then get a 22 fret model. The 24 fret models put the neck pickup where an SG pickup is positioned.

You can buy any old 'sterile' PRS guitar and spend time adjusting pickup heights and swapping pots 'n caps to fix any of them for less than ten bucks and a little time -- if they are not what you want when they arrive at your door step. So your risk is low. The SE models use the same pickups and electronics and some parts that the S2 MIA models use.

I agree with you, I know a lot of 24 fret players that don’t like les Paul’s for that reason, if they want 24 they should buy a prophecy

I don’t stay away from them because they don’t sound like a les Paul, that to me would be ridiculous. If I want a les Paul sound I’m buying a les Paul

Latest Threads