What's the deal with LP weight?

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Yep . I have a 20 Tribute that weighs 8 lbs and it is very comfy. Thinking about swapping the electronics and put in 50s wiring with 500k tone pots to tame some muddiness.

I just did that to three of my LPs. Made a world of difference.

On one of them I used 550k pots and it's a touch brighter than I would like. I personally wouldn't bother with them over the standard 500k if I had to do it again. But it was a dark guitar for years that really came alive after the rewire, so I'm not complaining.

Lester

Reaction score
Cyclists are weight weenies sometimes, always concerned with making bikes as light as possible. Total weight of the guitar in the case concerns me more than the weight of the guitar by itself. I know my Explorer with case weighs 25 lbs.

What makes me laugh about cyclists (and I used to be in the business long ago) is that bikers will spend $200 more to save a few grams on a component... or a few thousands $'s to save a couple pounds... in bike weight - and yet they themselves will be ten pounds or more overweight.

Like much of guitar folklore, there seems to be an unkillable axiom that bike weight matters more than the weight of the human on the bike.

Oh, and my LP weighs 11.~ pounds. That's 0,8 stones for you UK fellows and about 5 kilos for the rest of the world.

budg

Reaction score
I just did that to three of my LPs. Made a world of difference.

On one of them I used 550k pots and it's a touch brighter than I would like. I personally wouldn't bother with them over the standard 500k if I had to do it again. But it was a dark guitar for years that really came alive after the rewire, so I'm not complaining.

The Tributes comes with 300k and when I first got it , I couldn’t believe how dark sounding it was . For the time being I just run the tone pot on 10 . It helps , but swapping the electronics is on my to do list . A couple of ppl I know did that to their Tributes and said it came to life.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
The Tributes comes with 300k and when I first got it , I couldn’t believe how dark sounding it was . For the time being I just run the tone pot on 10 . It helps , but swapping the electronics is on my to do list . A couple of ppl I know did that to their Tributes and said it came to life.

Are the Tributes wired with the circuit board, or just regular pots?

My Studio (same body and chambering as the Tribute) was dark when I got it. The 500k pots really brightened it up. I wired it 50s style and out of phase in the center which sounds like a bright boost when used.

budg

Reaction score
Are the Tributes wired with the circuit board, or just regular pots?

My Studio (same body and chambering as the Tribute) was dark when I got it. The 500k pots really brightened it up. I wired it 50s style and out of phase in the center which sounds like a bright boost when used.
They have the circuit board so I’ll have to remove the quick connect ends on the pickups. Ill just save the pcb when I’m done. I’d doubt I would get anything for it .

raytsh

Reaction score
Nice, so my R8 can be considered light. I've selected it partially because of its weight (3.68 kg / 8.13 lbs)

dro

Reaction score
Weighing a guitar is like weighing my dog.
Can't get them to stand still on the scale long enough.

dro

Reaction score
Weighed the dog last week at the vet. 123.5lbs
Miney.jpg

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is a metaphor for penis size...

but I could be wrong...:cool2:

dro

Reaction score
It's a girl. Hence the purple harness and pink rope.
1 year old, Hasn't really found her voice yet.

Gas4LPs

Reaction score
LP G0 - 8.2 lbs (one piece body)
LP Standard Faded - 8.3 lbs (multi-piece chambered body)
LP 50's Studio Tribute - 7.52 lbs (multi-piece chambered body)

If you do not pay attention to LP weight you could end up with a really heavy guitar. Not comfortable at all.

rjstauber

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I did collect data for about 100 samples of the 2020 60th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul Standard VOS models. They all have lightweight one-piece Mahogany bodies, but without any kind of weight relief or chambering.

The average weight is around 8 lbs. and 9.5 oz. (3.90 kg)

The max. weight was 9 lbs. and 3 oz. (not quite 4.2 kg)

The min. weight was 7 lbs. and 15 oz. (3.60 kg)

None of these would be considered really heavy, but there are certainly differences.

Ever since I started using SG's, I prefer my Les Paul's to be as light as possible.

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When selling one it's best to list it right off so you don't have to answer the question 25x in 2 days.
Don't forget to include the kg conversion!

lawrev

Reaction score
I've always been partial to Les Paul and SG Junior / Specials. In my experience the weight has been between slightly under 6 pounds and up to 7.5.

Lester

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I did collect data for about 100 samples of the 2020 60th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul Standard VOS models. They all have lightweight one-piece Mahogany bodies, but without any kind of weight relief or chambering.

The average weight is around 8 lbs. and 9.5 oz. (3.90 kg)

The max. weight was 9 lbs. and 3 oz. (not quite 4.2 kg)

The min. weight was 7 lbs. and 15 oz. (3.60 kg)

None of these would be considered really heavy, but there are certainly differences.

Ever since I started using SG's, I prefer my Les Paul's to be as light as possible.

When you say "lightweight one-piece Mahogany bodies, but without any kind of weight relief or chambering." Do you mean that Gibson simply selected lighter density pieces of mahogany for them?

rjstauber

Reaction score
When you say "lightweight one-piece Mahogany bodies, but without any kind of weight relief or chambering." Do you mean that Gibson simply selected lighter density pieces of mahogany for them?
Yes, for these models, a ligher type of mahogany is being selected. Otherwise such a guitar would be heavier. If you compare to, for example, some of the Traditional models when they were offered without the modern weight relief (I think there are a few years like that, after 2012), and these guitars will weigh quite a bit more, like 9 to 10 lbs.

You can also select a lightweight body in the M2M (made to measure) lineup of the Custom Shop, but it will be a significant add-on cost of at least $1,000.

Latest Threads