What's the deal with LP weight?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I find that my heavier Les Paul's have a deeper fuller tone that my lighter ones, my heavier Les Paul's are definitely not brighter as someone mentioned early on. This deeper fuller tone is noticeable, but not by a large margin that would make you think I need to get a heavier Les Paul. This video compares a Les Paul Custom with a weight of 9.5lbs to a Les Paul Custom that has a weight of 8.5lbs, so a 1lb difference in weight. The Black Beauty is the lighter guitar and the Yellow Widow Burst is the heavier guitar.

Heavier Les Paul Custom vs Lighter Les Paul Custom

GermHerm

Reaction score
Between 8 and 9 lbs. is already considered a low weight for a Les Paul (unless it is chambered). Are your Custom Shop guitars really only 8 lbs., that is considered very low for a solid Les Paul. If you are thinking in terms of 8.0 lbs. Maybe your "around 8 lbs." is more like 8.3 lbs. or so, that is still a really light weight for a LP Custom Shop.

My 60th Anniversary 1960, which I selected for weight and the figuring/paint job is 8.5 lbs. The lightest Murphy Lab samples selling at well over 10k might go down to 8.0 lbs. and some even slightly below, but others also in the 8.5 to 8.8 lbs. range.

I have two Les Pauls, both around 8.5 lbs. (but the Traditional from 2012 has modern weight relief), and they still feel heavy compared to my SG's...
They are measured in kg : 3.650kg and 3.680kg. Which is 8.05 lbs and 8.11 lbs.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was amazed to discover that my 1/4" thinner Tribute with 9 hole relief still weighed 9.2 lbs.
The 2014 Melody Maker with its LP Custom Lite style body is a light 7.2 lbs.

Thundergod

Reaction score
with 10000 posts on this forum, I would imagine you've probably seen all information and possible opinions on this subject, many many times over
Not really. I never asked about that before and really never cared for guitar weight, have never weighted any of my guitars. And to be honest when I was active in here years ago there wasn't that much talk about weight.

Matopotato

Reaction score
A deep scientific study has been made on the relation between weight and tone for guitars:
I would like to warn sensitive viewers that there are some scenes containing "guitar" and "wood shaping tools"...
I am not personally taking a stance on the subject, just passing on the clip.
No Les Pauls were harmed in the making of the film.

msalama

Reaction score
BTW, I just acquired a MIC 2018 Squier CV 50's Tele that is without a doubt heavier than my '73 Dlx weighing in at 9.3 lbs. Does that make said Norlinski _light_ perchance?

DoctorGonzo

Reaction score
BTW, I just acquired a MIC 2018 Squier CV 50's Tele that is without a doubt heavier than my '73 Dlx weighing in at 9.3 lbs. Does that make said Norlinski _light_ perchance?

Reading through this thread I was thinking about the boat anchor tele's I've heard about over the years. I don't have any 12 pound norlin LPs but if I seriously wanted a sub-8 pound guitar with humbuckers or P90s I'd probably just go for an SG. My SG is lighter than a couple of my tele's and strat's.

I've got a light strat partscaster I built that is a joy to play but to me it's worth slinging around a couple extra pounds to play my LPs. My Traditional is a little over 9 pounds and my R9 is a little under 9 pounds. Both sound amazing.

msalama

Reaction score
it's worth slinging around a couple extra pounds to play my LPs

Yeah! And I'll add that as it comes to that new Cheapocaster I traded my Epi LP for, it's definitely worth it as well because it's actually a great guitar. The neck just SO good unlike the Epi's which I never grew to like, even if it wasn't by any means a bad guitar per se...

Geronimo

Reaction score
What beauty! Let us know how it goes, with pics.

What colour are you having the back painted?
I thought long and hard on this. The back was a thin Pelham blue originally. Trad Pro doesn’t have a gloss back. You can see the grain.
I’ve decided to just keep it Pelham but gloss like the front. They said they can match the front perfectly It was either this or gloss black. I will post pics when I get it back.

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
A deep scientific study has been made on the relation between weight and tone for guitars:
I would like to warn sensitive viewers that there are some scenes containing "guitar" and "wood shaping tools"...
I am not personally taking a stance on the subject, just passing on the clip.
No Les Pauls were harmed in the making of the film.
I just love this video.
"...oh yeaaahhh, SOOOmuch more "fundamental" with all the wood still on it - and man did that tone thin out as the weight was reduced!!! "
(Yes, in case you didn't get it, i am sarcastic...)

So much for "tone connoisseurs"...

Matopotato

Reaction score
I just love this video.
"...oh yeaaahhh, SOOOmuch more "fundamental" with all the wood still on it - and man did that tone thin out as the weight was reduced!!! "
(Yes, in case you didn't get it, i am sarcastic...)

So much for "tone connoisseurs"...
Actually I think the mass ought to matter. He should have made like a 40lb one and cut to minimal in one step. But it could also be that the effect is too small at least for me to notice anyway. But in theory... ;)

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
Actually I think the mass ought to matter. He should have made like a 40lb one and cut to minimal in one step. But it could also be that the effect is too small at least for me to notice anyway. But in theory... ;)
In theory, yeah :D :D :D

I Can't be bothered to look it up, but i think there was a similar vid, which started out with a whole production guitar which was then progressively reduced until it resembled a Steinberger :D
Iirc the change in "tone" was minuscule.

Also, owning (bolt on) Steinbergers one with an M body and one with the GP shape, what you get to hear from those two are still the EMG pickups, regardless of the body weight...

budg

Reaction score
I used to work with a few guys who would rag on Lesters all day long. They'd go on and on about how they're too heavy. SGs and PRS are superior, they'd say. Their line was always, "who wants to gig with something that heavy."

Here I am watching a 70-something year old Jimmy Page with a nice old Les Paul slung over his shoulder... You'd think these guys in their 20s could handle it.
OTOH I doubt jimmy is playing too many 3-4 hour gigs these days either. Billy Gibbons had a hollowed out version of pearly gates to make it lighter. As a 62 year old retired pipefitter who works out 3 days a week, walks 3 miles a day and has had lower back surgery and arthritis in my neck , to not want a lighter Les Paul to gig with is just stoopid. I’ve got nothing to prove by slinging a 12 lb guitar . An SG rocks just as hard as a LP anyways. But the “get to the gym comments are beyond silly .

msalama

Reaction score
Well, some say that heavy bodies resonate better. Perhaps. But if you happen to bump into a non-resonant guitar, do a tuning sweep starting from the low A (i.e. a fifth under) upwards to an octave, until you find the frequency the fucker resonates well in. Then nail the fucker there and choose your string gauges wisely.

Easy, huh? The nonstandard tuning may present a problem if you ever join a band though... or if you care for any kind of playability at all :D

Last edited:

Musha Ring

Reaction score
to not want a lighter Les Paul to gig with is just stoopid.

I completely agree.

An SG rocks just as hard as a LP anyways.

I completely disagree. :D

My point is that to write off guitars just because they're on the heavy side is silly. Especially if it's all theoretical musing of those who don't gig, or gig very sparingly.

But at the end of the day, it's their money and they decide what's right for them.

Gm7b5

Reaction score
A lot of it is because of internet lore.

It doesn't matter as much as the forums say it is.

budg

Reaction score
I completely agree.

I completely disagree. :D

My point is that to write off guitars just because they're on the heavy side is silly. Especially if it's all theoretical musing of those who don't gig, or gig very sparingly.

But at the end of the day, it's their money and they decide what's right for them.
Well if its because of some skeletal or other physical problem not silly at all. Doing what’s necessary to keep your body healthy and functioning should be a bigger priority . Anyone who has some of these issues gets this . Nothing wrong with not wanting to sling a 10 plus guitar for 3 hrs after hauling Equipment back and forth. Looking for a 9 lb or less LP isn’t hard . They’re everywhere. But really an SG can easily rock just as hard as a LP. See also AC/DC. YMMV.

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
My Les Paul Modern is just under 8lbs, really smooth to play and is a total beast tone wise.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Well if its because of some skeletal or other physical problem not silly at all. Doing what’s necessary to keep your body healthy and functioning should be a bigger priority . Anyone who has some of these issues gets this . Nothing wrong with not wanting to sling a 10 plus guitar for 3 hrs after hauling Equipment back and forth. Looking for a 9 lb or less LP isn’t hard . They’re everywhere. But really an SG can easily rock just as hard as a LP. See also AC/DC. YMMV.

SGs definitely do rock. I jest in fun.

Have you ever tried a chambered LP or a Studio with the ultra modern weight relief? They're a trip. Very comfortable and very smooth sounding as a result of the lowered mass (in my opinion).

budg

Reaction score
SGs definitely do rock. I jest in fun.

Have you ever tried a chambered LP or a Studio with the ultra modern weight relief? They're a trip. Very comfortable and very smooth sounding as a result of the lowered mass (in my opinion).
Yep . I have a 20 Tribute that weighs 8 lbs and it is very comfy. Thinking about swapping the electronics and put in 50s wiring with 500k tone pots to tame some muddiness.

Latest Threads