What's the best way to do a truss rod rout?

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I'm building a lp jr with a one piece mahagony neck and was wandering what was the best way and most efficient way possible to do this. Would a router table help?
Thanks Andrew

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yes that would help...but there are some mysterious luthiers around that still use the ancient "louter prane" :D

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys. I've seen some kind of guide you can use with a router. It's 2 rails and you slide the router along it. Anyone used one of those?

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I found a couple jigs I'm going to try to make one. They look fairly effective.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks FDP. I saw a jig made either MDF that looks good. Gonna try it before I buy any expensive tools.

jbrybar

Reaction score
I also used a table saw but I'm gonna try a router setup next time.. I'm sure either way works just fine.. You could always go the hand tool route and just use a chisel.. :hmm:

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I wish I could get a table saw, router table etc. cause I really need them. I'm trying to find cheaper ways to do things since I'm 17 and my money income isn't as steady as most. Thanks for all of your advice I couldn't build a guitar without this forum.
I hope to make some jigs tomorrow. I will post progress when I have some! Thanks again.

jbrybar

Reaction score
I can relate, when I started, and most of the way through my first build I didn't have these tools either .. Fortunately my grandfather has a carpentry workshop so I had access to a table saw, router, and drill press.. Good luck and take your time; much rather it take forever than have an oops you can't recover from.. :)

Jason,

Fred

Reaction score
Andrew, I use a table saw with a wabble blade. It adjusts from 3/16" on to 13/16". I got mine from tool king for $14.95 then I found another at Rockler for the same price and they work great. Look at Tom Bartlett's build and he shows a jig or sled for doing this and it's real simple. It goes from 1/2" at the nut end to 5/8" at the body end. One pass and that's it. Tom uses a regular saw blade and makes two passes. Hope this helps, Fred

Helderik

Reaction score
I have just finished my first truss rod rout and used my router, mounted under a table. I used two small spacers glued onto the neck to deal with the height difference at nut and neck tenon. Mounted a straight guide rail on the table and routed the channel in steps of ~2 [mm]. It worked out spot on in the middle and was easy to do. You only have to find a router bit able to do the full depth of ~16 [mm].

I do not have any pics of the spacers with me now, but I think Crompo took a similar approach when using the table saw and you should be able to find some pictures.

The router approach works fine/well, but if I had a proper table saw, I would consider using that since it should be a bit easier and your not depending on a deep narrow cut with a small router bit... Also, you can make the cut at once and skip all routing steps...

Good luck

scimitar

Reaction score
I think a lot depends on the truss rod you are using, if you use a one way truss rod in a curved channel I would imagine a hand held router in a jig is the way to go. If using a two way or one way in a sloping channel then any of the above will work - including the "louter prane" - which is the only option I have used.
Don't be too concerned about not having the money to afford expensive power tools, I think most hobbyist builders are in the same situation, I actually think at 17 I had more disposable income than I do now and certainly no one else to justify my spending decisions to :naughty:. Not going to get on a hand tools hobby horse but don't dismiss them just because the factories (and professional luthiers) do things with power tools, hand tools often can do a better job but are sometimes slower (although for one offs they are often just as quick) - also, if you buy wisely you can save a lot of money which can then be spent where it counts (pickups etc.).

Flynman

Reaction score
I use the 2 way trussrod from LMII and Stewmac has a special router bit that works real good. I have a Jig made of 3/4 Plywood botton and 2 pieces of 1x1 pine side rails planed so they are exact same height. I put 2 pieces of plywood rails on top of the 1x1 so that I can adjust it to router base. Make your measurements on the Neck blank, Center the neck blank, screw it down and go to it!!

Attachments

Jim Engen

Reaction score
I use a hand held router with an edge guide. If you don't have one they're easy to make. I use a spiral mortising but. Pretty simple. Many ways to do it.

Jim

Happy Grumpz

Reaction score
Drill a small hole in your workbench, mount your router upside down. Screw down a straight edge, bish bash bosh it's done.

j.six

Reaction score
Just did that yesterday and use this jig:

It's an old pic; I added a more solid riser that can be removed when necessary along with some teflon strips to the top of the rails (and the bottom of the router) that the router rides on and it glides pretty nicely.

All you have to do is make sure that it's centered and you're good.

Sully

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks guys! These are alot of great jigs. I'm going to try to make one along the lines of sullys and flynmans. I also need to make a workbench. I think I'm going to order stew macs hot rod truss rod and thier specialized router bit. I still need a fretboard inlays etc. for the neck as well.

Latest Threads