What's on YOUR workbench right now?

Ripthorn

Reaction score
I was out there doing some much needed cleanup and maintenance on some of my machines and my wife poke her head out and something about how it was almost comfortable out there and I just smiled big and said "I know!". So nice to have it low to mid 80's with only running it minimally so far.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So today we had a downpour, flash flooding in some nearby areas, etc.

..and I was fool enough to attempt some sanding sealer coats over color.

Damn thing blushed on me all over. So I whipped out the old can of Behlen's blush eraser, and all is okay now.

-But I'm done spraying until it dries up out here.

Meanwhile, I worked on the other jobs I've got going, including this one:

r25.jpg

r26.jpg

r28.jpg

r30.jpg

rr21.jpg

IMG_20220729_194532477.jpg

Bainzy

Reaction score
Haven't posted any build activity yet this year as for 3 months on my workbench was... a new workbench. Almost finished it now so should take some new photos of it. This was one of the legs, it's a sliding dovetail tenon that was good practice for handiwork like using a chisel, marking knife and a saw accurately.

An idea to make some more table/storage space ended up turning into me building an ideal workbench for making guitars. It's a Roubo style, 5 inch thick top with two lovely vices and dog holes for jigs. I'm very happy with it and already it's improved the quality of my work a lot, I will take the time to post a thread about it if anyone is interested.

20220422_145836 (Small).jpg

Bainzy

Reaction score
...and here's what I've been doing on the new bench. Neck carve for the 6 string neck on my doubleneck strat project. Cocobolo fretboard, Mahogany back and it's a fat carve - going for a vintage Fender C profile and 23mm thick at the first fret.

20220728_160513 (Small).jpg
20220728_160517 (Small).jpg
20220730_170501 (Small).jpg

pshupe

Reaction score
So today we had a downpour, flash flooding in some nearby areas, etc.

..and I was fool enough to attempt some sanding sealer coats over color.

Damn thing blushed on me all over. So I whipped out the old can of Behlen's blush eraser, and all is okay now.

-But I'm done spraying until it dries up out here.

Meanwhile, I worked on the other jobs I've got going, including this one:

View attachment 624900

View attachment 624901

View attachment 624902

View attachment 624903

View attachment 624904

View attachment 624906
Hey Dave - that looks awesome. Is that the Capri we were talking about? I'd like to make one of those at some point. I love my other Rick and it's fun to play.

Cheers Peter.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yessir, that's it, Peter.

It was a breeze to build, actually.

The only tricky part was the ramp.

Easy enough to use a jig to rout the ramp 8 degrees, but the sweeping corners are a trick.

I cut out the ramp template, set the template to 8 degrees, then cut "stairstep" routs an 8th or so apart by moving the template over. But I only did that for about 3 steps on each side. it's difficult.

The rest I did with a 1" dowel with 120 grit wrapped around it, sanding in a curving motion.

Also used was a 3/4 wide curved chisel, and a flat rasp on the flat portion of the ramp.

The important part is both to get that curved sweep, and not to go over the top edge when sanding. You want that crisp transition from top to curve.

There's good news on the pickup scene. There are two very worthy alternative to the hideously-expensive factory toasters. Made by the creamery dot-com, and another outfit that you can google. Both have sound examples, both are high quality pups that are about half the cost of the factory toasters.

solteroblues

Reaction score
Not on my bench, but I got AC put in my shop so that I can spend more time at my bench! I've been wanting this for years. No more working out in the shop when it's 100+ degrees and 50%+ humidity! Huzzah!
If you're in a hot climate, like I am, that's a life saver. I installed a ductless mini-split last summer in my garage/workshop. Before that I couldn't stay in there longer than an hour or two at a time then have to go inside and rehydrate. It'll be the best thing you've done in a long time!

solteroblues

Reaction score
This was just delivered...

s-l1600.jpg

And this was delivered a couple weeks ago...

s-l1600.jpg

Now I need to figure out what I'll use for the back and neck. I have some nicely figured curly Black Limba body blanks, but I'm not sure if that would clash with such a highly figured top or not. I also have some non figured Spanish Cedar, some black walnut, too. Decisions, decisions...

Eventually one will be a LP and the other a PRS style more than likely, unless I go PRS style for both.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
I think I know where you got that first billet... ;)

The flame in the second is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i keep telling myself i'm gonna do one for my self like that, but the money keeps scaring me off. i finally lucked up and got one that would have worked, but i ended up making a package deal to someone with some other tops. i have one similar with some dark in it....may make a transparent black with it.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i keep telling myself i'm gonna do one for my self like that, but the money keeps scaring me off. i finally lucked up and got one that would have worked, but i ended up making a package deal to someone with some other tops. i have one similar with some dark in it....may make a transparent black with it.
Don't feel bad , Bobby. Since my start in 2009, I've only built one guitar for myself.

One.

Latest Threads