What's on YOUR workbench right now?

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
Early 70s Martin in for a bridge re-glue.

1366F4E1-33A9-4199-A272-46F62C4AD6F2.jpeg

Last edited:

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Those are exact replicas of the jack plate on a 1958 Gibson Explorer that I had the honor to measure. I need to make a few more ;)

My bad :)

I generally don't think in terms of making exact replicas of anything so without any description I thought it was an accidental post of a couple output jacks, and so I was being a smartass ;)

In fact they do look very nice :)

solteroblues

Reaction score
No way that's your first attempt! That is PERFECT!!!!!
LOL, it's nowhere near perfect, I'm just not showing all of the flaws! The top carve didn't come out like I had hoped is the most obvious, but I made some pretty major mistakes you just can't see haha

Tweaker

Reaction score
Finally had some time to work on my uncle's guitar. Cut the rosette pocket and inlays today. Pretty sloppy glue job but it should clean up nicely. I think I did a bad mix with the epoxy because it's taking a lot longer than 5 minutes to cure :rolleyes: The top is some kind of spruce, and it turns out it's the spruce smell that I absolutely love about acoustic guitars! I didn't make the connection until now because this is my first time using spruce.

I used myrtle for the inlay pieces...one of the backs I had glued up ended up being no good for a back. Great for other uses though! I cut a couple bridge plates while I had it set up.

l4n9Jmg.jpg

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is what’s holding up my next build (old school set neck 22 special)

finish sanding a set of damascus kitchen knives with integral bolsters.
I forged them a few months ago, then took a break to build and finish a couple guitars, now taking a break from guitars for a couple weeks to finish these blades.

if you think any sanding task in guitar building is tedious, try hand sanding carbon steel hardened to 62 HRC from 80 up to 800 and I guarantee you’ll have a change of heart ;)

the carving knife here is at 800, the chef only at 400 with still a couple sessions to go.

once done I’ll make handles, then etch them in ferric chloride to reveal the Damascus pattern.

then back to guitars :)

F9C41314-195B-4027-BEC7-583F9346F345.jpeg

228F4C61-DA5E-4ECA-9685-02E48C4BFABA.jpeg

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
^^^^ @Skyjerk - just incredible work! So beautiful!

Figured I'd send you some good news.... FINALLY found a suitable dye shade, now moving ahead on bushido strap, it's a bit bright now, but once oiled and the planned overcoat of black will tone it down a lot. Unless you like the blue of course.

ZxBiMW0P_o.jpg

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^ @Skyjerk - just incredible work! So beautiful!

Figured I'd send you some good news.... FINALLY found a suitable dye shade, now moving ahead on bushido strap, it's a bit bright now, but once oiled and the planned overcoat of black will tone it down a lot. Unless you like the blue of course.

ZxBiMW0P_o.jpg

i like it :)

let’s stick with the planned color scheme and keep that blue in the kanji and dragon and the darker blue for the background :)

Moodivarius

Reaction score
Got the new 220v, 2.2kw air cooled CNC spindle wired up to the new VFD.
It’ll run from 8,000rpm - 24,000rpm.
The air from the cooling fan, on top, is forced down a couple ports, exiting out the bottom. Blows on the bit and seems to clear the cut material away from the bit.

About half the noise of the original router.

Here are a couple of short videos of it cutting my youngest son’s roasted flamed maple Tele neck.

Routing the final profile.

Very nice addition to the CNC.

Scott

Ripthorn

Reaction score
My take on a V style guitar is done. Made it of all wood I had on hand. I'm pretty pleased. I've never really like V style guitars, so for a challenge, I decided to design one that I actually liked. Maple burl over alder, maple/katalox neck with cocobolo fretboard.

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My take on a V style guitar is done. Made it of all wood I had on hand. I'm pretty pleased. I've never really like V style guitars, so for a challenge, I decided to design one that I actually liked. Maple burl over alder, maple/katalox neck with cocobolo fretboard.

Man, your designs never fail to impress :)

Holy crap, that looks cool!

So whats the cosmic-themed name for this baby?

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Of course that calls to mind...

Star-Trek-Symbol.jpg

Ripthorn

Reaction score
Man, your designs never fail to impress :)

Holy crap, that looks cool!

So whats the cosmic-themed name for this baby?
This is the Tensor. I was going to go with vector, but turns out Hamer already used that name. A Tensor in astrophysics is a broader superset of multilinear relationships than a vector.

The aluminum rods in the cutaway are filled with lead and the neck is set a little more into the body to minimize neck heaviness. The result is a better balancing instrument than an SG despite a similar thickness.

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, every nerd points that out :D

Oh snap! My cover is blown!

As a two full sleeved tattood guy thats an avid weight lifter, rides a harley, jumps outta airplanes, and hammers hot steel, my inner nerd flies under the radar a lot, but I'm also a UNIX engineer by profession, I run all my own servers, and I was definitely a big Trek fan back in the day (45+ years ago)

I couldn't care less about Star Wars though. I'm not that big a nerd ;)

What I really wanna know is, how is your shop so damn tidy?

Ripthorn

Reaction score
My shop oscillates between nice and clean to "am I going to get swallowed alive out here?" on a regular basis. The photos of that finished build, however, were taken on the back patio.

Latest Threads