What's on YOUR workbench right now?

SlingBlader

Reaction score
This was on my bench this evening. My Dad's 1961(ish) Harmony Rocket. I disassembled it as far as I could. I cleaned everything and gave it the first fretjob that it ever had... like it literally never had anything done at the factory aside from beveling the fret ends... and decades of playing cowboy chords pretty much decimated everything below the 5th fret. :D Restrung it with flats just like it had when he bought it. Plays and sounds great.

fM7RYE9.jpg

0wdNDLv.jpg

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
in preparation for shooting finishes on this and 2 other guitars over the next couple weeks, I finally finished inlaying this piece into the back of my "bushido LP" build yesterday. I started this build last year. Its for myself in memory of my son Jake. I was near completion but then put it on hold while I had the inlay made for me.

I originally thought of trying to make this inlay myself but quickly changed my mind. I wanted it to be perfect and that just wasnt going to happen if I tried to make such a complex inlay with so many pieces. Aulson Inlay made the piece for me and I'm super happy with how well they did. It would have been like a childs crayon scribble if I'd attempted it myself.

The back and neck will just have dark grain fill and shot with clear. No color, I'll do my usual treatment to the top (stain black, sand back, etc) and then dye a turquoise/blue

bushido01.jpg

bush_lp_inlay_06.jpg

shine01.jpg

Last edited:

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
I agree like the bluest black possible, if thats a thing and no teardroppin' it either :hmm:

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree like the bluest black possible, if thats a thing and no teardroppin' it either :hmm:

Nope. Definitely no teardroppin it :)

the burst will be faint. Just a slight deepening of the same color (blue, not black) color right near the edge, but completely transparent and not very wide ie: it wont come in far from the edge

Last edited:

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other stuff...

The bushido headstock. the pearl really lights up. this is one coat of clear so it'll look much better with 6 coats and a flat sand and buff.

Also the purple 22 special. His color chopice, not mine. I'm not a fan of purple really. This one will get a burst all the way to black, 100% opaque at the edges, and definitely "teardropped". customer want it, customer gets it

bushido_hs01.jpg

purple_thing01.jpg

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
last, I am also shooting the finish on my bass. Shown here its just sealed with simtec ez sanding sealer. For my money, the ONLY sealer I'll ever use on swamp ash :)

Shoot 3 coats 20 minutes apart, let it harden overnight, and sand. 100% filled, 100% flat. It'll never shrink into pores.

Stinks to mars, but its worth it. Anyone that ever tried to pore fill swamp ash will understand why.

This bass will have a pretty traditional 3-color tobacco sunburst. I haven't tried a 3-color burst before so We'll see how that goes :)

Anyway, not sure how I came to be shooting finishes on 3 guitars at once. Poor planning and time management I guess. I prefer to shoot one or two at most. I also have a Strat neck I built that needs finishing, but im gonna wait till fall. I may have another 22 special to shoot by then as well...

bass_01.jpg

Last edited:

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
Nope. Definitely no teardroppin it :)

the burst will be faint. Just a slight deepening of the same color (blue, not black) color right near the edge, but completely transparent and not very wide ie: it wont come in far from the edge

just for fun, I couldn't help fooling a bit with some options in the photo app. My apologies in advance if this messes up the artists vision in any way, but when I used to burst guitars I found it super helpful to have a target to aim for, - note I knowingly went further than you plan just to see where it could go.

From your description, I'm guessing you are aiming for the second one, sort of.

FFS4DISN_o.jpg

So do you darken the remaining dye and blend with clear to get your burst colour?

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
just for fun, I couldn't help fooling a bit with some options in the photo app. My apologies in advance if this messes up the artists vision in any way, but when I used to burst guitars I found it super helpful to have a target to aim for, - note I knowingly went further than you plan just to see where it could go.

FFS4DISN_o.jpg

So do you darken the remaining dye and blend with clear to get your burst colour?

Possibly something in between the 1st and 2nd with regard to the width of the burst.

As to the how, its a different dye. the blue on the body is a blend of LMII water based aniline dye wiped directly onto the wood.

The burst will be shot with a clear lacquer mixed with a blend of blue, yellow, and black transtint dye which I mixed up this morning. Its pretty close to the same hue but darkened slightly with black, and sprayed on with my HVLP gun (Iwata LPH80-104g). I think its pretty close. I dont have room to experiment as I literally only had one single drop of yellow :)

The top is already sealed with a couple coats of clear, so the burst is shot onto the clear, not the wood.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

FFS4DISN_o.jpg

If Im real careful I might get something like this...

Sweet, right?

goog.jpg

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
Chris, I'm pretty sure your burst will be slightly smoother than that one. But really, I think you should actually just erase all that blue with a magic eraser and try one of these.

2tR2phxv_o.jpg

It's a festival of bursts!

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, I'm pretty sure your burst will be slightly smoother than that one. But really, I think you should actually just erase all that blue with a magic eraser and try one of these.

2tR2phxv_o.jpg

It's a festival of bursts!

Those look sweet. Maybe you should do finishes as well as straps :)

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
Those look sweet. Maybe you should do finishes as well as straps :)
Oh believe me, I have finished several guitars, eight? Not built from scratch though, that's beyond my pay grade. But it's way easier to refinish in photoshop LOL!

Truth is, I am kind of terrified of dying the dragon strap. I do plan to do dye the dragon's tongue today

Last edited:

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh believe me, I have finished several guitars, eight? Not built from scratch though, that's beyond my pay grade. But it's way easier to refinish in photoshop LOL!

Truth is, I am kind of terrified of dying the dragon strap. I do plan to do dye the dragon's tongue today

if it makes you feel any better, I’m terrified every time I put dye on a guitar top :)

mistermikev

Reaction score
in preparation for shooting finishes on this and 2 other guitars over the next couple weeks, I finally finished inlaying this piece into the back of my "bushido LP" build yesterday. I started this build last year. Its for myself in memory of my son Jake. I was near completion but then put it on hold while I had the inlay made for me.

I originally thought of trying to make this inlay myself but quickly changed my mind. I wanted it to be perfect and that just wasnt going to happen if I tried to make such a complex inlay with so many pieces. Aulson Inlay made the piece for me and I'm super happy with how well they did. It would have been like a childs crayon scribble if I'd attempted it myself.

The back and neck will just have dark grain fill and shot with clear. No color, I'll do my usual treatment to the top (stain black, sand back, etc) and then dye a turquoise/blue

View attachment 611718

View attachment 611717

View attachment 611719
that right there - the samurai... that is so inspiring. just top notch. classy. I'm not sure which side I like more - the back or the front. lovely top and meticulous work!! wouldn't expect anything less from you - bravo!!

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its burst day!

Shot 3 bursts today, on of which is my first attempt at a 3-color burst.

All 3 pics are hanpered by bad lighting and suede/gritty finishes and have not been overshot with clear yet. My experience is that the gradient of the bursts smooth out a bit better after they get a few coats of clear over them...

In the case of both single-cut guitars, the binding has not yet been scraped either....

First, the Bushido. As previously mentioned, this is a slight burst. I'm definitely pleased with the outcome...

blueburst02.jpg

Next the bass with 3-color tobacco sunburst. Again very happy with the outcome. Exactly how I pictured it :)

8E6C3433-8ADC-4240-ACEB-6FE693CDAACC.jpeg

...and last but not least, the purple 22 Special, bursted to opaque black at the edge. Again, I'm not a huge fan of purple but its whatthe customer wanted. This is a pretty darn close match to the example pic he showed me

purpburst02.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads