What's on YOUR workbench right now?

Moodivarius

Reaction score
Wiped some naphtha to enhance the grain.

E6147861-565C-4CFA-9448-2E20B3D1E037.jpeg

Set it on the cherrywood body, and all routes lined up perfect.
6343974C-5A02-4963-9D35-4A5B00ED8E69.jpeg

Gold hardware is on order, but we put what we had on hand, to see how it looks.
2C393552-7435-460B-A5AA-6451B9CE6482.jpeg

8DF4FE41-946A-4456-B5BA-7C92790CADB1.jpeg

330972B7-779A-451A-99DF-8F29FE0BFD18.jpeg

It’ll look nice wit the flamed maple binding on the body.

I’ll post a build thread, once we start on the neck.

Scott

emoney

Reaction score
Just noticed the other day that I'm currently "LesPaul-less", so why not build one, but a little different. Semi-hollow, laminated neck w/dark walnut/maple, body is red cedar and top is Paduak. Fretboard is a rosewood of some sorts that I had laying around. Just got the body hollowed out so time to carve the top and bottom of the top before cutting some sort of holes. We'll see as we go along.
LPBuild.jpg

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just have to do the Samurai inlay on the back of the LP model, and drill the bridge and tailpiece holes on the 22 Special, then both these guitars, the bass, and a Strat neck are ready for finishing, which I'll be doing in about 2 weeks.

comp01.jpg

pups01.jpg

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
My father in law was kind enough to give me his old Craftsman radial arm saw going to make a pin router.
I found an original router attachment but it turned out to be a scam.
It will be more fun fabricating my own router cradle anyway.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
In fact its the one in the middle, so 2nd from the right :)

the colors do change depending on viewing angle and room lighting.

Looking from the other side before installing theyall appear the same color, although my replacement piece in the middle has a rougher finish at this point than the pre-cut ones...

the prcut inlays also have a very slight convex radius on the short ends, mine is more straight, but its not that noticable

View attachment 608337

Heres the broken one, and the shell blank I cut the replacement from...

View attachment 608339
Ohhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! I see how I made my life much more difficult, as usual. I love that blue tape idea. So much easier to carve with a dremmel with such clearly designated edges.

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
This my prototype I’m lucky enough my buddy next door is going fabricate it out of plate steel
My father in law’s old antiquated radial arm is going to make a great pin router and double as a fret cutting gig.

Attachments

• B539D5A7-C47B-414A-B0F2-C1C37B5F8443.jpeg
    B539D5A7-C47B-414A-B0F2-C1C37B5F8443.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 20

Tweaker

Reaction score
I've been stupid busy lately and haven't had time to work on much of anything, but I did manage to make a couple of form clamps for the acoustic builds.

CO6q0eT.jpg

They're butt-ugly but they work well and everything will fit when it comes time to pull them out through the sound hole.

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
I've been stupid busy lately and haven't had time to work on much of anything, but I did manage to make a couple of form clamps for the acoustic builds.

CO6q0eT.jpg

They're butt-ugly but they work well and everything will fit when it comes time to pull them out through the sound hole.
I like the two point touch system! Mine are shaped to match the mould but I can see how this might be better. You could not have to get the exact location/placement perfect like I have to on mine.

Tweaker

Reaction score
That was exactly what I was thinking...using an "exact match" piece isn't impossible but it's nice to not have to worry about it. And if I need to put them in a different spot that might not be hugging the mold like I want, I can move them.

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
That was exactly what I was thinking...using an "exact match" piece isn't impossible but it's nice to not have to worry about it. And if I need to put them in a different spot that might not be hugging the mold like I want, I can move them.
The ones we made for our D shaped guitars are large and clunky (I'll try to remember to snap a picture). Unless we get some movement, we also remove them after the back or face is glued on and before we close up the guitars. It's been a couple of years since my last acoustic build. I have been retrieving guitar building stuff from my dad's house as he no longer is able to build. Last week was a box of D sized templates, jigs, side bending fixtures etc. We built acoustics together whenever he would fancy.

Tweaker

Reaction score
That is awesome! I love building stuff with my dad. He isn't into guitar building, but a lot of the finish work and yard work in his house he and I did together. I went to college and studied business...ended up as a contractor and I think it's largely due to home improvement with my dad.

I also hadn't thought about the whole movement thing...once the top or back is on, that makes a lot of sense. You'll know if it's going out of square pretty quick once you start to pull the form clamps off. I'll keep that in mind on this build. If I can ever find a minute to work on it.

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
It’s finished ready for service. Even got dust collection, variable speed router low vibration this pin router ain’t foolin around.
I don’t see any reason I couldn’t cut the 4.5 degree pick up angle by making a fixture a that angle.
Who say the radial arm saw is dead ???

Attachments

• F47FCEF6-6CFB-4654-A246-076CAB3496AA.jpeg
    F47FCEF6-6CFB-4654-A246-076CAB3496AA.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 13

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
It’s finished ready for service. Even got dust collection, variable speed router low vibration this pin router ain’t foolin around.
I don’t see any reason I couldn’t cut the 4.5 degree pick up angle by making a fixture a that angle.
Who say the radial arm saw is dead ???
How do you lower or plunge it into the material?

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
I can lower the whole boom to the rough depth and set the finial depth on my router so it’s really flexible .

Latest Threads