What's on YOUR workbench right now?

Kennoyce

Reaction score
Sorry for the rapid fire posts here...got the acoustic finished up. I still need to make a truss rod cover, I think I will 3D print one. Anyways, a couple pics:

ryU0fbi.jpg

bUFB9LE.jpg

Lr8oN9K.jpg

1zpKMZY.jpg

It sounds really good! Very happy with my first effort. The soundboard is a cedar board from an old gate my dad and I built. Walnut back and sides, sapele neck with a walnut veneer. Bocote fretboard, bridge, and rosette inlay.

The shape is a little funky because I glued the top and back on outside the mold. Don't want to do that on the next one...it looks OK but I like more curve in the waist and shoulders that the dreadnought shape offers.
Seriously, one of the coolest fretboards that I have ever seen, love it (all of it, not just the fretboard)!

Tweaker

Reaction score
Wow well thanks for all the fretboard love guys, who knew Bocote was such a hit!

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely love the dynamic body shape on that bass.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an order for a scratch build for one of my 22 Special models. The customer had a custom logo design he wanted for the top of the headstock.

it’s a bit too finely detailed for my skill and tools but I had it made for me by the same peeps that did my Samurai inlay, an outfit called Aulson Inlay. Top notch work. They turned out gorgeous :)

This is small. Like 1.1” x 0.95” and the little strips of MOP are inlayed into ebony.

CC2D154D-A094-49AC-8E26-7147860ADE91.jpeg

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
and a nice trip to Hearne Hardwoods this morning. I gotta say maybe mid-january must be the best time to go. they had a great selection of 8/4 genuine mahogany. All really light, long, wide, straight boards. no knots, no worm holes, no splits. I didnt even have to root through the bin at all. This board was right on top along with a couple others similar dimensions.

This one was over 13' and about 11.5" wide. I had them cut it into 40" lengths because thats what I need for my neck-through builds. This stack will build 3 full guitars as each board here will be enough for the a 3-piece laminate neck-through blank, and the 4th board, which is a few inches shorter, will yield enough for 3 sets of body wings.

Got a couple small pieces of macassar and cocobolo while I was there for knife handles, but the mahogany was my main goal, and I'm calling it achieved :)

hogs.jpg

Thrill

Reaction score
and a nice trip to Hearne Hardwoods this morning. I gotta say maybe mid-january must be the best time to go. they had a great selection of 8/4 genuine mahogany. All really light, long, wide, straight boards. no knots, no worm holes, no splits. I didnt even have to root through the bin at all. This board was right on top along with a couple others similar dimensions.

This one was over 13' and about 11.5" wide. I had them cut it into 40" lengths because thats what I need for my neck-through builds. This stack will build 3 full guitars as each board here will be enough for the a 3-piece laminate neck-through blank, and the 4th board, which is a few inches shorter, will yield enough for 3 sets of body wings.

Got a couple small pieces of macassar and cocobolo while I was there for knife handles, but the mahogany was my main goal, and I'm calling it achieved :)

View attachment 586092
You like Hearne over Groff & Groff? I havent been to Hearnes yet, but went to G&G a few times. Need to make a trip out to Hearnes one day to check them out.

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

The neck off a very old Hondo II made in Korea bolt-on. It has a terrible fretboard and is basically junk, on the other hand it's a nice shape and made of real mahogany so I am tempted to see if I can salvage it for something somehow. Prised the fretboard off, with heat and an assortment of old knives.

20220127_214104576_iOS.jpg

20220127_215546039_iOS.jpg

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You like Hearne over Groff & Groff? I havent been to Hearnes yet, but went to G&G a few times. Need to make a trip out to Hearnes one day to check them out.

never been to Groff and Groff, so I can’t say which I like better
Hearne is amazing and always has what I need, and only about 25 minute drive, and it looks like Groff and Groff is about 45 min.

that might change though. I just noticed Groff carrys alder. Hearne doesn’t.

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

The neck off a very old Hondo II made in Korea bolt-on. It has a terrible fretboard and is basically junk, on the other hand it's a nice shape and made of real mahogany so I am tempted to see if I can salvage it for something somehow. Prised the fretboard off, with heat and an assortment of old knives.
Heat and knives had no effect on the headstock veneer, so I lost patience and ran it across the planer/jointer - strong smell of burning plastic but it was gone in a few seconds!
Then started to square it up for new wings, I've got a different shape in mind for this one
IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

dcomiskey

Reaction score

View attachment 586092
Please tell me that's NOT curly hog.

Latest Threads