What's on YOUR workbench right now?

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you're not happy with it, say so. i can go by where i used to work and see what we used. when that stuff dried it was like glass. we used it in the vacuum press for veneer work. almost every time i unloaded the press i would bleed somewhere from a sharp edge of the run off. hell, i bet you could build a knife out of it
I’ll post my results :)

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you're not happy with it, say so. i can go by where i used to work and see what we used. when that stuff dried it was like glass. we used it in the vacuum press for veneer work. almost every time i unloaded the press i would bleed somewhere from a sharp edge of the run off. hell, i bet you could build a knife out of it
This test was a definitely bust. Definitely not happy with this stuff.

24 hours later its not hard/brittle at all. Had a texture like hard rubber. Bends, doesnt snap.

I'm not even going to bother crushing the boards. Even if it has a good bond it doesnt have the brittle quality that I was looking for

If you have a chance, Id be real interested in hearing what you guys were using for UF glue :)

Last edited:

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Chris, the company name is Spectrum Adhesives 5611 Universal Drive Memphis , Tn 38118. the product no. is CP-0527. We only bought it in 5 gallon pails, so I don't know how small of a quantity is available, or if you have to be a commercial business to buy from them. If you have difficulty getting small amounts, let me know and i may be able to arrange something with the guy i used to work for....especially since all you need is a test amount for now...bob

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, the company name is Spectrum Adhesives 5611 Universal Drive Memphis , Tn 38118. the product no. is CP-0527. We only bought it in 5 gallon pails, so I don't know how small of a quantity is available, or if you have to be a commercial business to buy from them. If you have difficulty getting small amounts, let me know and i may be able to arrange something with the guy i used to work for....especially since all you need is a test amount for now...bob
Thanks very much FDP!

I have a couple products I'm looking into and I'm adding CP-0527 to the list :)

Tweaker

Reaction score
I am starting to brace the top on my first acoustic build:

Nothing is glued yet, just messing with positioning and making sure everything is centered. I will probably rough scallop the bracing before I glue them to the top.

The soundboard is cedar from an old gate my dad and I built several years ago that we needed to replace...4 piece top! Thinned it to about 0.115" based on a deflection test I read about. I have no idea if it's going to explode.

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
came in missing the last 1.5”of heel. Not sure what kind of mahogany was used by manufacturer, but I used honduras. No concern on a color match just functionality.

636EF0B0-9047-4A42-B49A-003914887A2E.jpeg

D8B7D8A5-0D1A-416D-A372-3C9B930ED907.jpeg
F5DBD4DB-91EC-40D1-B271-515729A1F1CD.jpeg

Last edited:

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting next week to shoot the finish on my recent bass build, and also the Strat neck.
my neck-through LP will have to wait till spring for a finish because of the delays caused by making the large samurai inlay on the back of the guitar.

In the meantime, I just finished a few knives :)

First a couple Damascus camp knives with Brazilian rosewood handles. I forged them for a fellow MLP friend.

88C02A50-81DC-4805-B453-E90AD298A344.jpeg

0CE4823F-2E27-493F-A299-C4F2154ACBF7.jpeg

then I forged an 8” integral chef knife for my sister. It’s made from W1 tool steel, differentially hardened blade w/ hamon, and a cocobolo handle.

this is also my first go at electrochemical etching of my Phoenix logo

8CE137C7-0052-4F07-B8F3-AD77949F8B75.jpeg

12A3B81A-44BF-4E0A-9EE0-E56455A27A96.jpeg

E92BB55C-86CC-475D-99AC-88AC3FBFFF68.jpeg

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Starting next week to shoot the finish on my recent bass build, and also the Strat neck.
my neck-through LP will have to wait till spring for a finish because of the delays caused by making the large samurai inlay on the back of the guitar.

In the meantime, I just finished a few knives :)

First a couple Damascus camp knives with Brazilian rosewood handles. I forged them for a fellow MLP friend.

View attachment 560083

View attachment 560084

then I forged an 8” integral chef knife for my sister. It’s made from W1 tool steel, differentially hardened blade w/ hamon, and a cocobolo handle.

this is also my first go at electrochemical etching of my Phoenix logo

View attachment 560085

View attachment 560086

View attachment 560087
very very nice, as one would imagine coming from you. i always admired knife building from a distance, but could never tool up to get into it. i'm a sucker for all things damascus. a tip of the hat to you, sir.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
Chris, are you open to selling a Damascus-style chef's knife? If so, PM me a price!

Thrill

Reaction score
Excellent blades. Love the damascus pattern. Are you only doing straight stack patterns or have you tried patterned or mosaic damascus? You doing all the forging by hand, or do you have a power hammer or something? Real interested to know your set up. Ive been dying to try metal forging.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, are you open to selling a Damascus-style chef's knife? If so, PM me a price!
Excellent blades. Love the damascus pattern. Are you only doing straight stack patterns or have you tried patterned or mosaic damascus? You doing all the forging by hand, or do you have a power hammer or something? Real interested to know your set up. Ive been dying to try metal forging.
Initially I was forging damascus by hand, and had some decent success, but the time needed and the material loss to scale from spending so much more time forging convinced me to purchase a 50-ton hydraulic press. This made making Damascus MUCH more accessible, although it was a considerable expense.

initially it was just the forge, anvil, 18” heat treating kiln, and 2x72 grinder. till I added the press and a 190 amp MIG welder. Now I’ve ordered a longer kiln so I can heat treat longer blades up to 45”

I have more money invested in my metal working tools now than woodworking tools. :)

now I use the press to make the Damascus billets, but for forging the actual blades I still do most of the work by hand with a hammer and anvil as the press isn’t a good tool at all for that. A power hammer would be nice but being a residential area I would likely cause a lot of unrest in the neighborhood. A power hammer is a lot louder than my 4 lb hand hammers.

plus forging by hand is my favorite part, and very cathartic.

as to patterns, I’ve done random, ladder, raindrop, Turkish twist. Haven’t tried any music yet but I actually just bought some steel for that specific purpose. Explosion pattern mosaic.

These two were both hand made before I got the press.

ladder:

F7483A3E-42EE-44CF-AF2F-54D06DE9110A.jpeg

and an 8 bar twist that really didn’t end up that way except around the handle because I forged out the blade so wide and long it stretched out the pattern, but still looks super cool :)

3906F8C1-8268-4E7B-946D-FD73934CC9A6.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Threads