What's on YOUR workbench right now?

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Well, it's time for another project. This time it will be a trio of Telecasters. One for me, one for my brother and one for my dad. (dad doesn't know about this. :) ) The plan is for two of them to be tributes guitars to Buck Owens and Don Rich. One gold and the other silver metal flake. The finish for my dad's is still up in the air. Right now I'm planning for a classic butterscotch, but it may get the grand daddy red, silver and blue flag treatment. :D

I'll probably start a build thread soon, but for now here are the alder body blanks in progress. :)

Ripthorn

Reaction score
It's done! It sounds glorious, plays incredibly well, and is just everything I hoped it would be. The Bootstrap Vintage Clean A4's sound so nice. I'll see if I can get a quick demo video up at some point with sounds both unplugged and amplified. Anyway, glamor shots!

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
stunning all the way around...design, colors, execution...the works. i especially love the 'dirty' caps. looks organic. i'm a fan of figured, clean maple, but love the natural organic look of the things that happen to trees during their life. it's like their little scars from wars. nicely done.

P.H.Fawcett

Reaction score
It's done! It sounds glorious, plays incredibly well, and is just everything I hoped it would be. The Bootstrap Vintage Clean A4's sound so nice. I'll see if I can get a quick demo video up at some point with sounds both unplugged and amplified. Anyway, glamor shots!

Very nice work. :applause: What is the timber you've used and what bridge is that ?

SlingBlader

Reaction score

Gorgeous! :cheers:

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the "build" stage is officially complete for both of these guitars. I built them concurrently (as well as a Strat neck) and it took me about 6 weeks. This is pleasing because my first build took me about 10 weeks and it was just one guitar, and on that first build I spent every free minute available on that build. Long story short, I've improved significantly in both quality and speed.

Neither one are really done though. I'm doing some very large inlay work on the LP yet, and making some damascus parts for the bass, and of course both need a finish :)

pair17.jpg

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
what can we say...you're a machine. i love to see you work...very precise and meticulous, and it comes out in your work. nice looking pair.

treddingjr

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Another one done. First of three LP Special inspired builds and second of four built completely in my basement and sprayed in my driveway. All Korina and an ebony board with Fralin P-90s and Grover Tuners.
0243102B-02EE-4C48-AC53-58995726A437.jpeg
D81F6393-42AB-49E8-BD94-E9C46C6600D6.jpeg

treddingjr

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Started this in 2018. Then COVID-19 happened along. Then I built a shop in my basement, and so on. Finally done. And the really last Gray Wolf Signature. The only Gray Wolf Custom. Custom wiring by Jestin Puett of SoulShaker Amplification. Master volume and tone. Five way rotary - neck, neck/middle, middle, middle/bridge, bridge. The last knob blends the neck pickup into the bridge. Three Fralin Pure PAFs. Gets delivered next month.
8177A69A-79CF-45EE-A2E8-C49A1957E72C.jpeg

Tweaker

Reaction score
Fumbling my way through an acoustic build:

Bookmatch attempt:

Neck joint (bolt-on...I don't have the balls to go set neck):

I need to make a radius dish so I can sand a radius into the back after I glue the kerfing on. Top kerfing needs to be flattened a bit still. The kerfing and side braces are made from sapele, mostly because I like the way it smells. Half the fun of an acoustic guitar for me is smelling inside the guitar..

There are only a few side braces because a) I really have no idea what I'm doing, and b) the sides got really wavy during the bending process and I figured rather than scrap them, I'd try to straighten them out with the side bracing. It seems to have helped, at least to the point where I can sand/scrape most of the waves away. We'll see.

The fun thing about a bolt-on neck is if I do a good job on the neck I can move it over to the next body which will hopefully come out better.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

damn man, I missed this post. You outdid yourself man. :)

Ripthorn

Reaction score
damn man, I missed this post. You outdid yourself man. :)
Thanks so much! It's got that wonderful hollowbody tone and plays like a dream. The pickups can get very beefy into high gain, as well.

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
I finished off the Dipole guitar and it's fantastic. Super pleased with this one.

Im not one for the more modern designs and shapes, but this is a killer looking guitar. The proportions and shapes are just excellent.

Latest Threads