What's on YOUR workbench right now?

Ripthorn

Reaction score
I spent quite a bit of time carving the top and back plates for my PRS hollow body build, but I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. The horns still need plenty of hand work, as the RO sander is just too big for it.

Then, top got glued to center section.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent quite a bit of time carving the top and back plates for my PRS hollow body build, but I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. The horns still need plenty of hand work, as the RO sander is just too big for it.

Then, top got glued to center section.

that looks great! You carved it all by hand?

Ripthorn

Reaction score
that looks great! You carved it all by hand?
The top was roughed in with templates and then RO sander. The inside was hogged with Forstner bits, a carving dish, and then scraping and sanding. So not really.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how the heck the PRS hollowbodies are wired?? There's no control cavity door!

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The top was roughed in with templates and then RO sander. The inside was hogged with Forstner bits, a carving dish, and then scraping and sanding. So not really.
I guess from my perspective “by hand” means no CNC, so actually your answer is yes.
power tools are still considered by hand in my book if your brain and hands are what is driving them.

it would be super cool if you had scooped that wood out with your bare hands, though. That’s real “by hand”

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well after some solid progress on the LP this past weekend I'm at a standstill now waiting for things to arrive (holly veneer and braz fb blank). I dont get a pile of time on weeknights to work in the shop, but once I'm in the "build zone" I do like to do a little something every day otherwise a build could drag on for months and I wouldn't be able to stand that.
So, since I couldn't work on the LP, I did get this Strat neck routed for truss rod and carbon fiber.

In the case of a maple neck, which is plenty stiff, the main contribution of the carbon fiber is eliminating seasonal adjustments to the neck that Ive needed to do with legit Strats I've owned in years past...

Tonite I'll probably do the same tasks for the bass neck as well and keep all 3 projects more or less in parallel

q_strat_neck2.jpg

Last edited:

dcomiskey

Reaction score
Through the f hole. You feed in a pre-wired harness and fish the controls through the appropriate holes. The price you pay for the beauty of the instrument.
So, do they use extra long leads from the controls so you can solder the pups before putting them in?

Ripthorn

Reaction score
So, do they use extra long leads from the controls so you can solder the pups before putting them in?
Most pickup leads are plenty long to begin with. PRS also wind all their own pickups, so they very well might have longer ones, but who knows.

tabascom16

Reaction score
I have been wanting to experiment more with Fusion 360 and 3D contours on the CNC. I am not much of a Fender man, but these seemed like a good start. After much trial end error and failed attempts I finally produced some nice finished necks. No idea what to do with them other than I accomplished some more complex CNC skills.
C76FA938-55D8-4D82-92C8-A48EAB964A2F.jpeg 36182537-E9C0-4FD7-A8C4-123A41845255.jpeg CAB7E119-13B0-4BC6-8F82-601ABA0C73A9.jpeg 48EDE1CF-A83A-4787-9529-4C1D2274D0A7.jpeg

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Says the man who posted that neck blank earlier :) Thanks, though!
Yeah but I'm gonna maul it with a rasp and then paint with flat exterior latex paint. Baby shit green. Using a roller. Yeah, thats what I'm gonna do.

Ripthorn

Reaction score
Yeah but I'm gonna maul it with a rasp and then paint with flat exterior latex paint. Baby shit green. Using a roller. Yeah, thats what I'm gonna do.
So, par for the course, I guess? :)

Latest Threads