What's on YOUR workbench right now?

bierz

Reaction score
@treddingjr
This might be obvious to most, but can you please explain how you tape off the bridge posts so cleanly? Is it as simple as applying a piece of painters tape and trimming it in-place with a blade?

Bainzy

Reaction score
Replacing the 6/12 strat inlays I started doing many years ago in this Cocobolo fretboard with some new celluloid ones, as I couldn't find anything that matched and one of them hadn't been installed well.

Also started building some new LP templates this week from my Bartlett plan tracings. Interesting to see how they differ from the Gold Standard plans, the only thing that really stood out was the difference in the cutaway on the left. I went away and had a look at the BOTB book and they do seem to vary from guitar to guitar, it's quite easy to notice as the pickguard and binding give a point of reference. Either that or I'm seeing things I want to see.

I'm using 3M Spray Mount for the tracing paper but I'm not really convinced yet, I'll see how it goes when I start cutting. It seems to have a tendency to bubble up when left for a while, could be because this paper is so thick and plasticky?

Attachments

dcomiskey

Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm not an expert on USA BC Riches, but my first instinct is that that guitar is not a BC Rich at all.
Same here (although I’m a BCR junkie) and that immediately raised an eyebrow. I don’t think I have *EVER* seen a Bich with a maple board. And BCR was never known for sloppiness in the USA models at any point that I’m aware of. Even the stain along the fretboard is sloppy.

I wouldn’t bother calling BCR. They’re now under their fourth ownership and there is, literally, no connection to the company many of us used to love. AFAIK, they don’t have any of the old records anyway.

The Ser# stamped at the end of the boards is something they did in the early 2000s. I have a 2004 CS Mockingbird that has it that way.

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using 3M Spray Mount for the tracing paper but I'm not really convinced yet, I'll see how it goes when I start cutting. It seems to have a tendency to bubble up when left for a while, could be because this paper is so thick and plasticky?
In the past, when I'd been working with tracing paper, I'd tape them on to the material with masking tape and then "prick through" with a fine point to make a series of dots in wood, then "join the dots". That's the old-old-fashioned way.

Now I print on opaque paper and cut out the shapes, then draw round.

Zeegler

Reaction score
Same here (although I’m a BCR junkie) and that immediately raised an eyebrow. I don’t think I have *EVER* seen a Bich with a maple board. And BCR was never known for sloppiness in the USA models at any point that I’m aware of. Even the stain along the fretboard is sloppy.

I wouldn’t bother calling BCR. They’re now under their fourth ownership and there is, literally, no connection to the company many of us used to love. AFAIK, they don’t have any of the old records anyway.

The Ser# stamped at the end of the boards is something they did in the early 2000s. I have a 2004 CS Mockingbird that has it that way.

Pretty much the same reasons I doubt that it's a BC Rich.

-No Rosewood headstock veneer. I can't remember seeing a USA BC Rich with a matching headstock.

-Maple board

-Dot fret markers

-Super plain body with no visible flame or quilt. No stringers

-Strange control layout.

-USA BC Rich should have non-recessed cavity covers

-Messy paint lines

-That truss rod cavity

-Should be a BC Rich Quad bridge

-Biches had feet at the points, at least the older ones did. maybe they stopped including those at some point.

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the past, when I'd been working with tracing paper, I'd tape them on to the material with masking tape and then "prick through" with a fine point to make a series of dots in wood, then "join the dots". That's the old-old-fashioned way.

Now I print on opaque paper and cut out the shapes, then draw round.
I go on the basis that for outline shapes on solid bodies, allowing for sanding and finishing, you're plus or minus circa 1/32" or so anyway. Is that too sloppy?

Ripthorn

Reaction score
More "on the wall" right now, but this year-long project is almost done. Lots of mistakes but overall really happy with it. Yep, I usually know that the last fret marker should be 24th and not 23rd fret, but on one particular night I did not know that.

I love how it looks like it's doing the Adonis pose:

Latest Threads