What's on YOUR workbench right now?

ihavenofish

Reaction score
Now that I am getting more proficient with Fusion 360 I made myself some Rule of 18 fretboards on the CNC. Getting into 3D shapes now and had the CNC machine the 12" radius, as well as cut the fret slots and inlay cavities to match that radius. I also cut my own inlays from some pearloid sheet to match the inlay cavity.

Willing to cut more for sale if anyone is interested, just PM me. I will only cut them from EI rosewood fret board blanks I have. I also have some good holly veneer, nylon 6/6 material, and some good cream binding if you wanted to make a kit out of it with some of the smaller items you have to grab from multiple different suppliers.
Funny, I was drawing up fretboards (and necks) in fusion today too. 25.5 and 24.75... and got to thinking I should do a variation with Gibson's rule of 18 scale too. I need to find the math for it again (with bridge position).

dcomiskey

Reaction score
Can you explain the pickup route? It looks unusual. Curious to understand why. BTW, it's gorgeous!

failsafe306

Reaction score
If anyone was wondering what the hell is going on in the circled area, it’s due to the edge of the sandpaper on my DA sander digging into the corner of the tenon without my realizing it. I’m still kicking myself for not filling it before finishing! :mad2:

Oh well, we’re all allowed one screw up per build, right?

Attachments

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the recent glue discussion Opinions on glue | My Les Paul Forum I had a chance to use some Titebond cold hide glue for the first time, just for the experience, on a non-critical project. Re-gluing the bridge on a super-cheap laminated-top classical. Glue was unusable at 10 degrees C, near-solid gel. I put in on a radiator, then the sun came streaming in and I got about 5-10 minutes maximum of working time. I wish I'd made my caul stronger, and I wish I'd put masking tape around the bridge rather than having the squeeze-out go all over the top. Tomorrow will see if the repair is any good, I'm giving it 24 hours under clamp/weight.

IMG_1971.JPG

Last edited:

redking

Reaction score
A customer brought me this Epiphone Sheraton to diagnose a dead pickup.

I didn't even notice this at first until I'd fixed the wiring and started tuning the guitar.

What kind of psychopath does this? :confused:

He or she desires less tuning stability? :laugh2: or maybe the strings line up in a much more aesthetically pleasing way? (Feng Shui?)

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Been beating a dead cow, for some cowboy

my wife has a complete set,,,or lets just say a bunch...of leather tooling from here dad. i've tempted to try my hand at it, but have always had too many other irons in the fire...that looks great

DaveR

Reaction score
I have an old, pretty nice, but very beat up, Takamine 12 string on the bench with a nasty crack in the bridge. This was once a fairly pricey guitar that has tuned into a campfire guitar and has been neglected. The owner asked if I could make a new bridge (never done that before) but I managed his expectations and agreed to take a look. After disassembling everything and pulling out the screws, I couldn’t even get the bridge to wiggle at all, which I took as a good sign. The bridge pad is in fine shape and the cracked bridge holes still hold the bridge pins fairly well, so I opted to just fill the cracks with ebony dust and CA glue. Sanded and polished it to a high gloss. The chamfering around the pin holes isn’t nearly as clean as what came from the factory, but the pins hide that anyway. I’m satisfied with it.
52628008-D30F-4734-8B5E-0544806B07F1.jpeg

9AFB84E6-1BDB-497F-8CEA-1CBE66D520D2.jpeg

9A20E7CD-7451-4B87-9035-3E87C8E17C9C.jpeg

Ripthorn

Reaction score
I'm doing a guitar version of my electric mandolin design, and the neck is about ready to allow me to route a neck pocket. Roasted curly maple, ebony FB, and curly maple binding, abalone inlay.

Latest Threads