What's on YOUR workbench right now?

jbrybar

Reaction score
I've moved a lot of my tools to my cave like basement which allows me to progress quicker. It's much easier to pop down there for a few hrs. after work. Of course time is easily lost track of, it being cave like and all.. It's been a minute so I figured I would share a bit..

binding channel.jpg

bound.jpg

pieces.jpg

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forged this billet of Damascus over the weekend and will be making a neck mounting plate for my recent Strat build.

Details on the forging process are in my “half a Strat” thread

this will be much more distinct with a lot more contrast when it’s finished. This is just a test etch to see what the pattern looks like

C3C39C73-5C0F-41AF-86E2-1D762BCCA9FE.jpeg

jkes01

Reaction score
I forged this billet of Damascus over the weekend and will be making a neck mounting plate for my recent Strat build.

Details on the forging process are in my “half a Strat” thread

this will be much more distinct with a lot more contrast when it’s finished. This is just a test etch to see what the pattern looks like

View attachment 490161
Chris, that looks killer. Will you add anything as a top coat to protect it once the etching is complete?

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, that looks killer. Will you add anything as a top coat to protect it once the etching is complete?
Definitely a clear coat. Some kind of enamel I expect. I need to figure out what will bond nicely with the steel.

edited to add:

Actually some reading on the topic of best clear coats for bare steel lead me to a product called "Everbrite". Seems like this should do the trick, so I bought a 4 oz bottle and will give it a go :)

Last edited:

jkes01

Reaction score
Washburn BillyT. Decisions, decisions, decisions. :hmm:

Black bone or black nylon nut. I’m leaning towards the bone.

Got a pile of pots. Going back with speed knobs (what it had originally) and pointers, likely 50’s wiring.

Going to install a leftover Epi 3 way, braided wire and either .022 or .015 PIO cap and leftover switchcraft jack. Pots will be 500k Emerson Pro to replace those tiny ones in there now.

Last edited:

BKS

Reaction score
There would be a market for those yes. Not only Neckplates....

DaveR

Reaction score
Wow! That's unique and I really really like it. In theory, I shouldn't like it as I'm normally not a fan of SG's, tremolos OR pickguards.... but WOW all that together combined with that finish and hardware really works! Great job! Reminds me of an Army Surplus store or riding in the back of a Hummer in my USMC days...I dig it!