What's on YOUR workbench right now?

pullshocks

Reaction score
On the bench today is my long delayed thinline style build. Needed to drill the jack hole for an LP style jack plate. Did not want to free hand it, and did not want to horse around with doing it on the drill press. Here's how I did it. With the guide as shown in the first 2 shots, the bit was still "born to wander", so I added a second guide to match the diameter of the business end.
Here is a link to the dormant thread about this build
5 15 20 jack drill 1.jpg
5 15 20 jack drill 2.jpg
5 15 20 jack drill 3.jpg
5 15 20 jack hole.jpg

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
On the bench today is my long delayed thinline style build. Needed to drill the jack hole for an LP style jack plate. Did not want to free hand it, and did not want to horse around with doing it on the drill press. Here's how I did it. With the guide as shown in the first 2 shots, the bit was still "born to wander", so I added a second guide to match the diameter of the business end.
Here is a link to the dormant thread about this build
View attachment 462850View attachment 462851View attachment 462852View attachment 462853
Clever guide! But really, why not freehand?

SlingBlader

Reaction score
The newest member of the family was delivered a couple of weeks early! This completes my shop. I always have so much new lumber that needs planing/jointing and had to drive to the next town over to the Woodworkers club to get anything done. Setup was fairly straightforward and will start testing later this afternoon.
View attachment 460305
Oh man, congratulations! I have been wanting a jointer for years... just can't commit. Which model is this? Helical head? Details, details! :D

SlingBlader

Reaction score
The Precision Bass that I started a while back is in the home stretch. This is my take on candy apple red. Final clear coats just went on yesterday. I did spray a couple coats of UV aged nitro on the neck to give a little jump start on the aging process.

It's gonna hang for a while, then on to level sand (won't take much) buff, assemble and set up. :thumb:

SlingBlader

Reaction score
that's seriously. everything about it is stellar. will look great leveled and polished.
Thanks, Bob, I appreciate that. :D I can't wait to finish it up and play it! :jam:I'll probably be stringing this one up with flats. I have another P bass already that I'll continue to use with rounds. It will be nice to have both at my disposal.

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
The Precision Bass that I started a while back is in the home stretch. This is my take on candy apple red. Final clear coats just went on yesterday. I did spray a couple coats of UV aged nitro on the neck to give a little jump start on the aging process.

It's gonna hang for a while, then on to level sand (won't take much) buff, assemble and set up. :thumb:

Looking good! That is some fancy fiddleback figuring :)

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Looking good! That is some fancy fiddleback figuring :)
Thanks! I found that piece of maple at a local home improvement store of all places. It was just mixed in with all the other maple, but this one had figure from one end to the other. I think that was 4 or 5 years ago.

I just left it sit to see if it moved as sometimes highly figured stuff doesn't like to stay straight. It remained stable, so I started to use it. So far I've made 2 strat necks and this bass neck from it. I think I have enough for 2 more guitar necks.

The best part of it all is that I paid $24 US for the board. :thumb:

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
Thanks! I found that piece of maple at a local home improvement store of all places. It was just mixed in with all the other maple, but this one had figure from one end to the other. I think that was 4 or 5 years ago.

I just left it sit to see if it moved as sometimes highly figured stuff doesn't like to stay straight. It remained stable, so I started to use it. So far I've made 2 strat necks and this bass neck from it. I think I have enough for 2 more guitar necks.

The best part of it all is that I paid $24 US for the board. :thumb:
That's a great score - I can't beat that.

The nearest was when I got given some really strongly figured ash by a forester who'd seen the grain on a tree he'd just felled and thought I might like it. Unfortunately . . . he made his best guess on sizing right there in the forest and cut it into blocks for me - which are 1" too short and 3/4" too narrow to make an LP flame top :(

Oh well. Perhaps one day with some creative use of sunbursting, I might get away with it

IMG_0433.JPG

SlingBlader

Reaction score

The nearest was when I got given some really strongly figured ash by a forester who'd seen the grain on a tree he'd just felled and thought I might like it. Unfortunately . . . he made his best guess on sizing right there in the forest and cut it into blocks for me - which are 1" too short and 3/4" too narrow to make an LP flame top :(

Oh well. Perhaps one day with some creative use of sunbursting, I might get away with it

View attachment 463169
Oh man, that’s enough to make you cry! Beautiful stuff!

jkes01

Reaction score

View attachment 463169
Ah man, it’s the thought that counts. Surely you can build like a spotlight special with a walnut stripe down the middle.

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
These will be on my workbench eventually. 100 yr old black walnut log left on the side of the road outside a cemetary. Took most of the day and I was pretty tired after but looks like spectacular wood.
IMG_0057.JPG IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG IMG_0060_lo.jpg

It could be a couple of years but could be worth the wait.

Cheers Peter.

Stephmon

Reaction score
SlingBlader that P-bass build brings back memories. I cloned my '66 Candy Apple J-Bass a few years back. Like you, I 'sun brewed' the neck finish. If you're interested, the build thread is linked in my signature below.

Stephmon

Reaction score
Flickoflash, I had to do a double-take, when I saw that beautiful Explorer top! a) because of the epic quilt. and B) because I had just seen a pic of CC Deville playing a Flying-V with a similar finish...
1590807612505.png

SlingBlader

Reaction score
SlingBlader that P-bass build brings back memories. I cloned my '66 Candy Apple J-Bass a few years back. Like you, I 'sun brewed' the neck finish. If you're interested, the build thread is linked in my signature below.
Wow, I just went back through your build thread. What a gorgeous bass, so nice! Hope mine turns out close to that! It's still hanging for another week before I level sand and buff. :)

Latest Threads