What's on YOUR workbench right now?

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming this is just photoshopped and not actually cut in? In which case I vote, no F hole. While they can be super cool on some guitars, I’m not sure it fits well here.

BTW, even though I love me some old school Hamers and own a couple of them, I think your own version looks better. Congrats, that’s a beaut.
It was a waterslide but already removed . I did have a real f hole on a arched top 7 string version
20190521_193223.jpg

DaveR

Reaction score
I thought I remembered an f-hole on one of your explorer builds. I like it better on this one for some reason. Maybe because it’s not a sunburst (at least in this pic). I dunno. Just seemed crowded on the other one. Still excellent work all around. I’m thinking of a seven string explorer build in my own future...

w666

Reaction score
Been watching his vids for a long time. Followed his tutorial making a braided twist handle fireplace poker. Great guy. I’m a member of the FB group too :)

There’s a lot of ways to quiet the anvil. My chaining method totally did the trick. You can make it out in my avatar :)

It’s a good tip though. Sorry I beat you to it, but thanks!
I thought you weren't supposed to hit the anvil directly with the hammer?

BPW666

Reaction score
More washing line than workbench. I've finally got the last coat of clear on the Purple Princesses PRSish build I've been working on for my wife.
2017_0814_02130900(2).jpg

I had to strip the top and restain once, but I'm pretty happy with the results of my first spray job. Minimal orange peel, can't wait for it to be ready to sand and buff.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
More washing line than workbench. I've finally got the last coat of clear on the Purple Princesses PRSish build I've been working on for my wife.
View attachment 402220
I had to strip the top and restain once, but I'm pretty happy with the results of my first spray job. Minimal orange peel, can't wait for it to be ready to sand and buff.
Looks nice. Your wife should be pleased. Fretboard looks familiar :)

BPW666

Reaction score
Looks nice. Your wife should be pleased. Fretboard looks familiar :)
Thanks Chris, yup same birds same source, that two tone fretboard on yours was really something special though.

Your knives are looking pretty sweet too. How do you harden them to get the hamon?

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
Thanks Chris, yup same birds same source, that two tone fretboard on yours was really something special though.

Your knives are looking pretty sweet too. How do you harden them to get the hamon?
This is me heat treating this very knife. You cant see it too clearly but the back of the blade is coated with a refractory clay. Only the edge is exposed. The exposed edge cools extremely fast in the water quench and forms into martensite which is super hard. The clay covered area cools a lot more slowly and forms pearlite and ferrite which are a lot ofter and more ductile. Its the same way they made japanese swords for thousands of years...

BPW666

Reaction score
This is me heat treating this very knife. You cant see it too clearly but the back of the blade is coated with a refractory clay. Only the edge is exposed. The exposed edge cools extremely fast in the water quench and forms into martensite which is super hard. The clay covered area cools a lot more slowly and forms pearlite and ferrite which are a lot ofter and more ductile. Its the same way they made japanese swords for thousands of years...

Awesome, i recognize some of the techniques. I've got a small collection of Japanese kitchen knives and have been fascinated by the metallurgy for years.

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IMG_20190826_193104_575.jpg
IMG_20190826_192916_668.jpg

Up and running

Swinger bone pickup rings
Tokai 15.4 k with added alnico 9 magnet bridge
Shawbucker 7.2 k reverse wired neck
Pinacle aluminum with titanium bridge and tail both locking
Custom built locking tuners with full size Grover buttons tilt mounted
Fender modded TBX tone control