What's on YOUR workbench right now?

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
I'm not done with guitar building though. I'm REALLY wanting to find some crossover with forging bits for guitars. I dont know if they will be functional bits, but certainly aesthetic touches :)
Forge they whole guitar!!!
It will be great for "Heavy Metal"

jkes01

Reaction score
Then stay the hell off youtube and dont start watching forging and knife-making video's by Greenbeetle, Alec Steele, or Walter Sorrels ;)

I think I already infected @charisjapan

He was messin around makin some knife handles and kits before I got the bug, but now hes tooling up to actually make some blades himself :)
Chris, check out the Black Bear Forge channel. Great video on quieting the ring on an anvil.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Chris, check out the Black Bear Forge channel. Great video on quieting the ring on an anvil.

Been watching his vids for a long time. Followed his tutorial making a braided twist handle fireplace poker. Great guy. I’m a member of the FB group too :)

There’s a lot of ways to quiet the anvil. My chaining method totally did the trick. You can make it out in my avatar :)

It’s a good tip though. Sorry I beat you to it, but thanks!

jkes01

Reaction score
Been watching his vids for a long time. Followed his tutorial making a braided twist handle fireplace poker. Great guy. I’m a member of the FB group too :)

There’s a lot of ways to quiet the anvil. My chaining method totally did the trick. You can make it out in my avatar :)

It’s a good tip though. Sorry I beat you to it, but thanks!
Yeah I saw that, his method uses clamps and caulk. What a dramatic difference between before and after. I saw the fireplace poker video, good stuff. Makes me wish I had a fireplace.

Aronvane

Reaction score
Finishing the neck for my custom Flying V build.
First attempt of making a wooden inlay for the headstock. Combination between the t-rune and the symbor far aries. I like it :) And I'm quite satisfied with the result
20190812_144854.jpg
20190812_144909.jpg

bhmcintosh

Les Pauls, Telecasters, and 12strings
Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the kids at church thought it would be a dandy idea to see how much he could crank down on the tuners on one of our ukuleles, with predictable results:
IMG_20190818_101047.jpg.640.JPG

pshupe

Reaction score
Magic.

(Or templates):D
Do you have a standard offset from the template to cut the control cavity vs the cover? I was making them so they fit perfectly but once finish was on they were too tight. I started with a very slightl difference, like 5/1000" or so and now I think 10 - 15 thou works much better.

Cheers Peter.

failsafe306

Reaction score
Do you have a standard offset from the template to cut the control cavity vs the cover? I was making them so they fit perfectly but once finish was on they were too tight. I started with a very slightl difference, like 5/1000" or so and now I think 10 - 15 thou works much better.

Cheers Peter.
Magic.

(Or templates):D
CNC or hand made templates? Mine are handmade and they are close to perfect, but not that perfect.

rusdfh

Reaction score
Well you have to allow for tol. On both parts plus finish thickness which can vary considerably unless you are very good at applications and always use the same finish. I had a customer insist on a giant bass boat metal flake on a telecaster and had to make a new cover plate template that’s at least 25 thou. undersized due to all the clear required to cover the flake. This is all due of course to being anal about fit up. Looking at some guitars now in shop for repairs none of them fit to the degree we’re talking about here, you could measure clearance on most of them with a tape measure though I’ve never heard anyone complain

dcomiskey

Reaction score
CNC or hand made templates? Mine are handmade and they are close to perfect, but not that perfect.
All handmade. Right now, there’s no offset. I know when finish is applied, it won’t fit. I’ll just sand the edges of the cover a few times before finish goes on. I’m sure I’ll screw it up. :D

DaveR

Reaction score
I’m assuming this is just photoshopped and not actually cut in? In which case I vote, no F hole. While they can be super cool on some guitars, I’m not sure it fits well here.

BTW, even though I love me some old school Hamers and own a couple of them, I think your own version looks better. Congrats, that’s a beaut.