What's on YOUR workbench right now?

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Know the quality of the products that come put of your shop Scatter, I know these are gonna be amazing.

scatter lee

Reaction score
Know the quality of the products that come put of your shop Scatter, I know these are gonna be amazing.
it's a first for me, getting all the jigs and templates dialed in, cant wait to get some serious wood

Brewdude

Reaction score

As always its been a while since i've posted here but it doesn't mean there hasn't been some progress!

Routed out the pickup cavities on my Les Paul builds, the advantages of doing 4 at once is that you can practice the combination of router bits on the first one and get less shitty results by round 4! :slap:

My 3/8" flush bit wouldn't reach the whole way down the smaller of the routes (whatever that proper name is) so I used a 1/2" so didn't quite get the tight radius on the corners but literally no one will ever know except me so I think I can live with myself. Also roughed out the end of the tenon to be flush with the body, figured I'd get it close while the fretboard is off and the neck is more maneuverable. The hand router plane is truly a joy to work with, maybe my favorite tool I've used even if not the most practical. Should be a breeze to flush it up once the neck is glued in.

Brewdude

Reaction score
I've also been going down the rabbit hole of acoustic builds since the electrics have been progressing so quickly :doh:

I'm pretty excited about this one, I am 99% sure this mahogany is from the same billet that one of my Les Paul blanks came from (bought from same seller, etc) so it will be cool if I can make any claim about similar sonic qualities. This will come out of the mold tomorrow night and get flush trimmed, then the wild world of dovetail joints and fitting the neck...

Then also a 00-28 style guitar with some beautiful rosewood I picked up from our resident BRW dealer @archey I'm big on doing a practice run so I thought I'd do the no-frills 000-17 above so as to not dork up this nice rosewood.

archey

Reaction score
I've also been going down the rabbit hole of acoustic builds since the electrics have been progressing so quickly :doh:

I'm pretty excited about this one, I am 99% sure this mahogany is from the same billet that one of my Les Paul blanks came from (bought from same seller, etc) so it will be cool if I can make any claim about similar sonic qualities. This will come out of the mold tomorrow night and get flush trimmed, then the wild world of dovetail joints and fitting the neck...

Then also a 00-28 style guitar with some beautiful rosewood I picked up from our resident BRW dealer @archey I'm big on doing a practice run so I thought I'd do the no-frills 000-17 above so as to not dork up this nice rosewood.

Killer! Great work so far. I'm excited to see it completed.

Ripthorn

Reaction score
I love seeing a router plane in use! I have the one bigger and the one smaller than yours from Lee Valley. Still need to break out the big one. Got it for Christmas, but one hand was out of commission for a long time, so now it needs to come out and play!

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'll never bitch about sanding wood again. Any wood.

1084 carbon steel hardened to 62 HRC is one helluva lot harder to sand than any wood, bar none :)

This is sanded to 800 for a satin finish. Took the better part of a seriously hot August day and my hands are all crampy.

Yall might be more interested in the piece of wood that I'm using for the handle...

A piece of Padauk burl, AKA Amboyna burl.

Once this guy is done I'm gonna get on with my bass build. All the parts and templates are sitting in a nice pile on my router table taunting and harassing me...

SlingBlader

Reaction score

1084 carbon steel hardened to 62 HRC is one helluva lot harder to sand than any wood, bar none :)

This is sanded to 800 for a satin finish. Took the better part of a seriously hot August day and my hands are all crampy.

Yall might be more interested in the piece of wood that I'm using for the handle...

Once this guy is done I'm gonna get on with my bass build. All the parts and templates are sitting in a nice pile on my router table taunting and harassing me...
The knife looks killer, Chris! I’m so afraid to start any new hobbies. I know how I am with new interests and yours looks like another rabbit hole to me. :D

Btw, I just started a thread about my bass build here in case you’re interested.

smk506

Reaction score

Wow! That is awesome. You’ve only been doing this for a few months now right? I know a few knife makers and you’re work so far looks on par with lots of them who have at it for years and years.

Have you gotten into any file work/jimping yet?

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
The knife looks killer, Chris! I’m so afraid to start any new hobbies. I know how I am with new interests and yours looks like another rabbit hole to me. :D

Btw, I just started a thread about my bass build here in case you’re interested.
Bass looks good man. I like the body shape quite a lot. I was originally planning mine as a 5-string, but decided to go with 4 simply because I'm not a bass player and figured would be good enough for my first bass :)

and yes. This is a rabbit hole. A very deep one and every bit as expensive as guitar building. Its not just knives or blades. there SO MANY THINGS YOU CAN MAKE forging steel :)

Its too late for me, save yourself while theres still time!

I'm in it now, I'm currently considering selling my bike to buy a 25 ton hydraulic press...

pshupe

Reaction score
I'm in it now, I'm currently considering selling my bike to buy a 25 ton hydraulic press...
Consider getting a much heavier bike! :rofl:

Great looking stuff but I am staying far away as I believe this to be viral and I am sick enough already! lol

Cheers Peter.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! That is awesome. You’ve only been doing this for a few months now right? I know a few knife makers and you’re work so far looks on par with lots of them who have at it for years and years.

Have you gotten into any file work/jimping yet?
Thanks. Yeah, I got my forge up an running about a month ago actually.

Not sure I'll do jimps/jimping. I dont really find the look appealing

Ripthorn

Reaction score
Looks great, Chris! The first time I built an infill hand plane, I spent 6 hours sanding the pieces to be smooth and square and straight. It turned out great, but man, sanding metal is miserable.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Consider getting a much heavier bike! :rofl:

Great looking stuff but I am staying far away as I believe this to be viral and I am sick enough already! lol

Cheers Peter.
Then stay the hell off youtube and dont start watching forging and knife-making video's by Greenbeetle, Alec Steele, or Walter Sorrels ;)

I think I already infected @charisjapan

He was messin around makin some knife handles and kits before I got the bug, but now hes tooling up to actually make some blades himself :)

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Looks great, Chris! The first time I built an infill hand plane, I spent 6 hours sanding the pieces to be smooth and square and straight. It turned out great, but man, sanding metal is miserable.
You got that right! My hands hurt and were cramping up for two days after sanding that. I need to make some sanding sticks and blocks and stuff to make it easier on myself.

I'm not done with guitar building though. I'm REALLY wanting to find some crossover with forging bits for guitars. I dont know if they will be functional bits, but certainly aesthetic touches :)

SlingBlader

Reaction score
Bass looks good man. I like the body shape quite a lot. I was originally planning mine as a 5-string, but decided to go with 4 simply because I'm not a bass player and figured would be good enough for my first bass :)

and yes. This is a rabbit hole. A very deep one and every bit as expensive as guitar building. Its not just knives or blades. there SO MANY THINGS YOU CAN MAKE forging steel :)

Its too late for me, save yourself while theres still time!

Thanks, Chris. I really wanted a 5 that had wide spacing. I have a Les Paul 5, but the spacing is so narrow that it's nearly worthless to me.

My wife is really wanting to start working with metal. We're probably not to the point of wanting to buy a forge, etc., but we are seriously considering a welder to dip our toes into that world. :D

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris. I really wanted a 5 that had wide spacing. I have a Les Paul 5, but the spacing is so narrow that it's nearly worthless to me.

My wife is really wanting to start working with metal. We're probably not to the point of wanting to buy a forge, etc., but we are seriously considering a welder to dip our toes into that world. :D
I got a stick welder as well. Made my very first welds 2 weeks ago. I kept getting the electrode stuck to the workpiece. I'm sure it looked quite comical to experienced welders. I managed to weld a couple things to a couple other things and they stayed welded in spite of being seriously ugly welds. Hopefully nobody is going to ask me to weld something in a nuclear reactor, but ill get better. thinking of getting a MIG machine though. I hear its easier...

Ripthorn

Reaction score
@Skyjerk , there is a maker called Hutchinson (I think) guitars that makes cool nordic themed guitars with forged decorative bits. You should check it out, I think they look really sweet.