What's on YOUR workbench right now?

ihavenofish

Reaction score
We need a separate thread for this stuff.
Make it :)

One thing to add about spindles is... if you use a hardware store style router - dewalt, makita, etc - whatever it says for power on the label is basically a lie. What they will often tell you is the max power draw it can pull before tripping. Usually that's well beyond when your fuse will blow, and could only be sustained for a second or 2 in use.

A "real" spindle gives you the power OUTPUT and is rated for continuous operation for hours on end at that load. They often also give a secondary rating, for intermittent usage. often 25% over the other rating, for 10 or 30 minutes.

So a teknomotor 750w (1hp) spindle will in reality have 2 or even 3 times the real usable power of a "1hp" bosch colt.

So, i guess i should rephrase and say the spindle is rarely the limiting factor, if you know what the spindle's limit actualy is. :)

pshupe

Reaction score
Make it :)

One thing to add about spindles is... if you use a hardware store style router - dewalt, makita, etc - whatever it says for power on the label is basically a lie. What they will often tell you is the max power draw it can pull before tripping. Usually that's well beyond when your fuse will blow, and could only be sustained for a second or 2 in use.

A "real" spindle gives you the power OUTPUT and is rated for continuous operation for hours on end at that load. They often also give a secondary rating, for intermittent usage. often 25% over the other rating, for 10 or 30 minutes.

So a teknomotor 750w (1hp) spindle will in reality have 2 or even 3 times the real usable power of a "1hp" bosch colt.

So, i guess i should rephrase and say the spindle is rarely the limiting factor, if you know what the spindle's limit actualy is. :)

Made a new thread check it out. What's an YOUR CNC right now?

Cheers Peter.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Nice. What's the chain for? Security?:naughty: I doubt someone will be walking off with that!

Cheers Peter
The chain serves a dual purpose.

1. Keeping the anvil from bouncing on the base when struck. Good anvils return almost 100% of the energy when struck. They can bounce quite a bit in spite of their mass. the ends of that chain are attached on both sides to th base with turnbuckles that are torqued down very tight. A bomb wouldn’t make that thing move a mm.

2. deadening the ring when struck. It’s a solid, drop-forged and induction hardened, tool steel anvil. It rings quite loudly and at a very high pitch. The chain deadens the ring significantly.

I have a fallback plan if smithing doesn’t work out...

Last edited:

dickjonesify

Reaction score
My whole workspace has been taken over by a life size 3-D bear :Ohno:

The plans I found got me this far...

But that left the head and legs flat and that wasn't going to be good enough haha. So I added a lot more pieces

and even some 3-D sculpting

Then fur

Even doing some painting

It's close to done. Working on eyes tomorrow and then it'll be out of my garage. It's for my church"s VBS this week. My wife and I have done the stage deisgn for the last few years now. It's been quite a challenge!

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
My whole workspace has been taken over by a life size 3-D bear :Ohno:

The plans I found got me this far...

But that left the head and legs flat and that wasn't going to be good enough haha. So I added a lot more pieces

and even some 3-D sculpting

Then fur

Even doing some painting

It's close to done. Working on eyes tomorrow and then it'll be out of my garage. It's for my church"s VBS this week. My wife and I have done the stage deisgn for the last few years now. It's been quite a challenge!
Man, that is spectacular :)

dcomiskey

Reaction score
Another hockey dad weekend, and another spectacular haul. They priced all their white limba at a steal because they had originally ordered black. I took it all. Most of the black limba bodies they had were riddled with wormholes, so I didn’t think they were worth the $75 each they were asking for them. Also, Spanish cedar neck blank, quilted maple neck blank, neck thru limba board and walnut dowel for markers. I’m going back in November for an even more epic haul.

03E00EFE-F84F-4190-A006-6393E3728C4C.jpeg

BKS

Reaction score
Got a real cheap body for this simple project. Intention was/is for a White finish but i actually like de natural finish too. Just need to get pots and wonder if i should go 250 or 300 on these? My guess 250 but am mrs doubtfull... Pickups are all old ones. JBJ and 2 sds1 are from same period around 1980. So... Go white or leave as is? Hardware will be black in the end at least that is the intention.

DSC_1076_compress27.jpg

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Anyhoo, this will be my last non-guitar related post. I'll be resuming my bass build that got side-tracked
now that this is finished.

My first knife. 6" hunter. 1084 high carbon steel, figured maple handle.

I bet my use of figured maple comes as a surprise ;)

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
anyone else having trouble posting photos? i keep getting an oops comment.
Something is amiss. its been very slow the last few days and I keep getting an error thats says the system is out of resources

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
same here. i was actually gonna post a pic of a current build, but it's been so long since i've done so, i didn't know if it was me. site has been terribly slow here too.
in fact, if you don't see this post, please let me know.