What's on YOUR workbench right now?

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
Next new shop item, a vintage blacksmith leg vise all mounted up on my new favorite building material. Maybe I'll build a big hunky guitar out of them too ;)
Equipment bases made from 6x6 timbers are my new standard.
They are strong, heavy, practically indestructible, and free (Until I run out of course). I had a few 6x6x8 left over when I built the foundation for my shed, so I'm glad to finally be using them up.
I did have to buy the 1/2" x 10" lag screws and washers, but that wasn't too much of a hardship.
This will also get anchored to the floor...

Of course this post is about the vise ;)

Last edited:

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
Ewwwww

Every get a really nasty guitar in for work?

A co-worker gave my number to a friend of his, who called me asking me if I could do a refret to stainless.

Sure. Easy peasy. Need the money, etc. Worked it out.

It knew from talking to him that he'd had the thing 30+ years and played it a lot and it was never refret before so I was expecting some nasty buildup under the frets, but this axe was next level.

No joke it looked like the guy puked on it, flop-sweated all over the body, spilled shit on it, and just let it dry. I don’t think he wiped this axe down one time in 30 years. Not even before handing it off to me which really kinda surprised me.
I'd NEVER hand off something to a stranger in such a disgusting state.

I was not being paid to clean this, but it was the first thing I did just so I could stand being near the thing, and I'm NOT a neat freak or germaphobe. Not even close.

He didn’t ask for a new nut, but I think you'll all agree it really needs one.

I told him so and he said to go ahead and do it. The edge of the nut was just gone under 3 of the strings.

Whole fretboard itself was grooved from play.

Leveled and re-radiused the fretboard

Installed new frets. Stainless. Nice and solid. The slots were in good shape once I cleaned all the mung out. Didnt lose any chips off the board. New frets fit nice and snug, but not super tight

Still have to file the ends, level, crown, polish, etc, and make a new nut.

Pretty sure I have cooties or some other nasty bug from touching this guitar, but this is gonna be like a whole new axe when I turn it back over to the owner :)

Last edited:

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
Just watch him get upset that you cleaned it... that's what he gets for asking a guitar ninja to do a refret.
LOL. Maybe some dudes imagine that "patina" has all their mojo.

What it needed was gojo...

...or to heat it to 2400 F. in my forge :laugh2: :wow:

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
On the other side of the shop from the filthy guitar is a DIY log.

Lots of blacksmiths use an appropriately sized log as a base for their anvil. I did make some effort to find one,
specifically looking for something cylindrical, exactly 20" tall, hardwood.

Came up empty

So I took a 12/4 piece of hard maple I had on hand, and a few pieces of 1/2" all-thread, some nuts and washers and made one.
Based on what I paid for the maple (I think about $200ish a couple years ago) its probably a bit overpriced for an anvil base, but itll definitely do the job and saves me from spending anything not. Well, except for the all-thread nuts and washers.

I cut it into 20" sections, ran them through my planer to get a good tight fit, but left the sides rough to keep a more rustic appearance.

So, about a 75 lb block of hard maple should make a great base for a 275 lb. anvil

This is what will go on it. Still 2 weeks till its scheduled to arrive

Rigid Peddinghaus model 12.

Drop forged, induction hardened steel. Not cheap, but totally badass :)

Last edited:

Ripthorn

Reaction score
Whoa...

That anvil is serious. Enjoy once it gets in!

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
Whoa...

That anvil is serious.
Its called a continental pattern anvil, AKA German pattern. in point of fact, this particular anvil IS manufactured in Germany.
Not that I give a rats ass. I'm Irish and Portuguese, not German. :)

Its a good anvil :)

This is as opposed to the London pattern which more people may be familiar with that has a single horn, and of course as with almost everything in the guitar world, there are people that vehemently argue that one style is superior to the other :)

Fact is, also like guitars, how its manufactured and what its made of matter far more than its shape. :)

Last edited:

dcomiskey

Reaction score
Ewwwww

Every get a really nasty guitar in for work?

A co-worker gave my number to a friend of his, who called me asking me if I could do a refret to stainless.

Sure. Easy peasy. Need the money, etc. Worked it out.

It knew from talking to him that he'd had the thing 30+ years and played it a lot and it was never refret before so I was expecting some nasty buildup under the frets, but this axe was next level.

No joke it looked like the guy puked on it, flop-sweated all over the body, spilled shit on it, and just let it dry. I don’t think he wiped this axe down one time in 30 years. Not even before handing it off to me which really kinda surprised me.
I'd NEVER hand off something to a stranger in such a disgusting state.

I was not being paid to clean this, but it was the first thing I did just so I could stand being near the thing, and I'm NOT a neat freak or germaphobe. Not even close.
Chris, I'm in IT and I can't tell you the disgusting state I get laptops handed to me. I have a large container of Lysol wipes just to clean whatever the hells people have on their screens and keyboards. People are just nasty and inconsiderate.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
Chris, I'm in IT and I can't tell you the disgusting state I get laptops handed to me. I have a large container of Lysol wipes just to clean whatever the hells people have on their screens and keyboards. People are just nasty and inconsiderate.
I'm also in IT, but I'm a UNIX engineer. UNIX engineers are pale, surly, socially awkward, and like to work in isolation and darkness, so I dont normally have to deal with people, their inability to understand relatively simple technology, or their munged up laptops and workstations. I dont have to deal with Windows either :)

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I used to support PCs in my early IT days, and I always started a job by cleaning (and shaking out) the keyboard just so I could stand to type on it. I flipped over one keyboard and what had to be a 1/2 bag of potato chip scraps fell out. The complaint from the customer was that their keys were sticking sometimes. Gee, I wonder why?

(PS - we should start another thread in the Back Stage just for PC support horror stories)

dcomiskey

Reaction score
I’ve been in another bad mental funk the past few weeks, so I’ve gotten next to nothing done in the workshop (or anywhere else, for that matter). Depression is fun. Anyway, the wife and daughter were away for a hockey tournament this past weekend, so I mustered up some motivation to make our kitchen look less shitty. Finished all the tricky pieces last night, so all I have to do is grout and seal.

AC770406-4344-4E36-B123-7713E64B4A0D.jpeg

dcomiskey

Reaction score
I'm also in IT, but I'm a UNIX engineer. UNIX engineers are pale, surly, socially awkward, and like to work in isolation and darkness, so I dont normally have to deal with people, their inability to understand relatively simple technology, or their munged up laptops and workstations. I dont have to deal with Windows either :)
The ones I get back from the dev team are the worst. Especially the smokers...

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
The ones I get back from the dev team are the worst. Especially the smokers...
:)
I’ve been in another bad mental funk the past few weeks, so I’ve gotten next to nothing done in the workshop (or anywhere else, for that matter). Depression is fun. Anyway, the wife and daughter were away for a hockey tournament this past weekend, so I mustered up some motivation to make our kitchen look less shitty. Finished all the tricky pieces last night, so all I have to do is grout and seal.

View attachment 384769
That looks awesome man!

I did a similar backsplash project behind our range a couple years ago. It turned out really well but I had to get oversized coverplates because some of my cuts around outlets were less than perfect :)

I do better with wood