What's on YOUR workbench right now?

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
New batch of stainless steel fret slotting and inlay, and head stock templates. Some old favorites and a couple custom one offs -
View attachment 375619

How do you actually use those templates?

Clearly a regular router is out of the question, but how do you use a dremel with this?

Do you have a special bit with a very short cutter length and ride the bit directly against the metal?

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score
That's a very good question! ;-)

The fret slotting are just index slots for use in either a mitre box or a table saw sled. They index with a small pin and I have two scale lengths on each fret board template. The inlay routes are centered on one of the scale lengths. The Vintage scale has "rule of 18" on one side and 24.562" on the other side. The Modern scale has 24.562" on one side and 24.75" on the other.

The inlay templates get placed in a jig that holds them off the fret board top slightly and you can use a 1/8" diameter endmill in a dremel tool or laminate trimmer with a base. The 1/8" diameter bit rides along the edge of the template to cut the correct depth and shape. That's why the stainless steel is used so that the bit shaft doesn't bite into the metal.

Here is a 3d image of a jig I made -
3d-Inlay-template-jig.jpg

and a CAD dwg -
Inlay-template-jig-plan&sections.jpg

and my dad using the one I made a long time ago.
inlay_template.jpg

You have to clean up the corners but if you line up the fret board correctly the inlay routes are the perfect size and centered between the fret slots.

Cheers Peter.

bfcg

Reaction score
Got 3 Languadocs (tre anastasio )on the bench. Photos when I get back in a few weeks.
Auto correct is making me crazy

Brewdude

Reaction score
my gawd that is a beauty carve, and some beauty wood. v nice work.
Much appreciated, I’m a total woodworking noob so that means a lot! Along the lines of Chris’ thread this is a really supportive community and I’ve learned all I have from here so enjoy sharing my humble contributions among the great builders on board here.

mistermikev

Reaction score
Much appreciated, I’m a total woodworking noob so that means a lot! Along the lines of Chris’ thread this is a really supportive community and I’ve learned all I have from here so enjoy sharing my humble contributions among the great builders on board here.
not a woodworking noob but def a gtr building noob myself so same boat. like you, I've learned a good percentage of what I know reading here as well. also very thankful for being allowed to visit this community. so in short: ditto!

pshupe

Reaction score
Here is a set shipping off domestically, which is nice, eh! lol Custom cut template with a matching ziricote machined fret board and fret board blank.
full_set.JPG

and another 8 Braz boards for a friend very local. I'm sad that I will have cut 16 of these gorgeous vintage braz fret boards and none of them are for me! :( I looked for a crying emoji but couldn't find one.
Capture.JPG

Oh well. It makes my shop smell nice.

Cheers Peter.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
After a long hiatus I'm back to building. This time I'm building a run of four guitars at once. All carve tops, three are singlecuts, all are ready for their necks. Two quilt tops, two flame tops. Photos to come....

pshupe

Reaction score
After a long hiatus I'm back to building. This time I'm building a run of four guitars at once. All carve tops, three are singlecuts, all are ready for their necks. Two quilt tops, two flame tops. Photos to come....
Cool - are they all sold or are you building them to then sell? Thanks.

Cheers Peter.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
This batch is being built to sell. There's a local music store who wants to carry my guitars on his wall. The owner has a solid reputation with EVERYBODY so I'm inclined to go along with it.

tabascom16

Reaction score
After some deliberation on top color themes for my guitars I am thinking a tobacco burst so I made a sample top. Paired with cocobolo fretboards. The Mahogany backs will be just in clear lacquer with a dark pore filler. Zebrawood binding on the body and fretboard as well. A friend with a CNC machine finally got into trial fretboards for me.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: BKS

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
My entire shop is on my workbench. :)

I mentioned in another thread how I’m adding blacksmithing to my life. Well, deciding to do it and making it work are two different things when it comes to stuffing more equipment into an already full shop.

So I put my entire shop on my workbench. Re-arranged all my equipment, got rid of the floor-standing shelves, which occupied quite a bit of floor real estate without providing much storage space, and put up shelves on the wall so I could free up the floor space.

Once that was done I was able to re-arrange the floor standing equipment to make room for the new gear that also will take up floor space. An anvil, a forge, a leg vise, and belt grinder.

I also took the opportunity to do some things I should have done a LONG time ago.

Built a rack for my planes, and another rack for my clamps. The clamps literally have been in a pile on the floor for years, and the planes sit on a board that I move around from place to place with no real home of their own...

I know someone is bound to feel compelled to point out that a rack for planes is called a till. Please don’t. I call it a rack, and I’ll continue to do so. Till sounds dumb (to me).
Let it go :)

Then I made a hanger for the different grits for the grinder belts

Made an 18” x 20’ shelf along the entire right side wall

Most of the rest of the equipment was relocated up toward the workbench to leave room by the door for the smithing gear

And lastly, something that really is on the bench. 2nd guitar I ever built. Refinish and fix a couple things. Once this is done I’ll have about 4 weeks to bang out my bass build before the smithing stuff arrives...

Last edited:

dickjonesify

Reaction score
My entire shop is on my workbench. :)

I mentioned in another thread how I’m adding blacksmithing to my life. Well, deciding to do it and making it work are two different things when it comes to stuffing more equipment into an already full shop.

So I put my entire shop on my workbench. Re-arranged all my equipment, got rid on floor-standing shelves and put up shelves on the wall so I could free up the floor space.

Once that was done I was able to re-arrange the floor standing equipment to make room for the new gear that also will take up floor space. An anvil, a forge, a leg vise, and belt grinder.

I also took the opportunity to do some things I should have done a LONG time ago.

Built a rack for my planes, and another rack for my clamps. The clamps literally have been in a pile on the floor for years, and the planes sit on a board that I move around from place to place with no real home of their own...

I know someone is bound to feel compelled to point out that a rack for planes is called a till. I don’t care. I call it a rack, and I’ll continue to do so. Till sounds dumb. Let it go :)

Then I made a hanger for the different grits for the grinder belts

Made an 18” x 20’ shelf along the entire right side wall

Most of the rest of the equipment was relocated up toward the workbench to leave room by the door for the smithing gear

And lastly, something that really is on the bench. 2nd guitar I ever built. Refinish and fix a couple things. Once this is done I’ll have about 4 weeks to bang out my bass build before the smithing stuff arrives...

Two things:

You are my hero.
This is my dream shop.

K bye