bfcg

Reaction score
You could always go and smash something:shock:

bfcg

Reaction score
this one of my workbenches :thumb:
P1020446.jpg

What is that on the top of the blanks?
It looks like it has a little tail on it sort of like an Iceman tail.

Jared Evans

Reaction score
5-string Fretless bass with "Cheater" fills

Love the bass. What is the fingerboard on that? And if you don't mind two more questions what is the neck angle and hardware? I'm wanting to build a fretless really bad. Awesome work, I really want to see the finished project!

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's not worth a thread of its own yet, so I figured I'd show what I'm up to. It's a re-design of my Less Tall Octave guitar. I wanted to make the body a little bigger, with more of a vintage shape and top carve. Here's yesterday's progress (including a rough cut mahogany back):

Octave_Carve_3.jpg

DSC03922_Blackout_2_800.jpg

Frank

Jared Evans

Reaction score
It's not worth a thread of its own yet, so I figured I'd show what I'm up to. It's a re-design of my Less Tall Octave guitar. I wanted to make the body a little bigger, with more of a vintage shape and top carve. Here's yesterday's progress (including a rough cut mahogany back):

Octave_Carve_3.jpg

Frank

I haven't said it yet but I have been amazed by your lesstall guitars. Amazing ingenuity and craftsmanship. Very cool.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I haven't said it yet but I have been amazed by your lesstall guitars. Amazing ingenuity and craftsmanship. Very cool.

Thanks Jared! I appreciate it!

Frank

expo

Reaction score

Frank, did you carved the top by hand or with your compucarve?

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's just too cool Frank!!
How big is it?

expo

Reaction score
Here's the answer to your question:

DSC03906_800.jpg

I love this machine!

Frank

Great, unfortunately there is no distributor for the carvewright in Europe. Problems with 60Hz and ROHS..they wont sell you one.

I would like to try it.

Would be the 14 1/2 inches enough for a complete fullsize top?

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's just too cool Frank!!
How big is it?

Thanks Magnus! The body size on this one is a little larger than the previous version of my octave guitar. It measures 13 3/4" long X 10 1/4" wide (approx. 349 X 260 mm). For a better idea as to the size, below is a mock-up with the poplar practice top. I felt with a slightly larger body, the full size hardware wouldn't look as awkward and out of proportion. Plus, keep in mind that the neck and fingerboard are full width and thickness, so the cutaway, horn, and where the neck joins the body all had to be tweaked to be able to accommodate this...it wasn't just a matter of shrinking the body.

IMG_0358_1000.jpg

Frank

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Would be the 14 1/2 inches enough for a complete fullsize top?

If you check out this guy's website (a very talented member here), you'll see that the full size tops are not a problem: Liquid Guitars

Frank

bfcg

Reaction score
After selecting the maple drop top for my Explorer, I then had to deal with the torment of wood waste.
Man how I hate having so much trim. So out to the woodshed with the templates I went.
Turns out that if I cut a 24 inch piece off of the board I will actually be able to squeeze
at least two Explorer caps and one Les Paul cap out of it. If I am really careful I will get three Explorer caps and a Les Paul (I would need a laser saw to get two Les Paul tops).
Explorer caps take a 10-1/2 inch wide board to resaw, I'm working with a 14-1/2 inch wide board for this. I will have to do a stagger cut or interlocking cut whichever you prefer to call it to yeild 3 drop tops and an LP top.:fingersx:

The Thruth

wizzard
Reaction score
What is that on the top of the blanks?
It looks like it has a little tail on it sort of like an Iceman tail.

hey Bill, this is 8 string guitar i need to finish, the design is by customer and it look like this:
plan.jpg

bfcg

Reaction score
That headstock and "tail" definitely looks IBZ inspired.
I have an Iceman in storage somewhere that was one of the first guitars that I ever built(circa 1979). I have been thinking about digging it up and checking for it's viability as a 12 string
using gearless tuners or orbital geared tuners, maybe a combination of the two in order to fit them on the current headstock.

bfcg

Reaction score
Okay it is not really currently on my bench and probably won't be for a long time.
I dug it out, (pardon the dust) for your amusement, here is my circa 1979 take on the Ibanez Iceman. The green top used to be a much darker green. Thats analine dye for you.
0003jpg0003.jpg

0002jpg0002.jpg

0001jpg0001.jpg

73Custom

Reaction score
some really good stuff happening here...

i progressed to this point on my practice build:

dcam4698.jpg

gonna attempt to carve the top today :wow:

Latest Threads