What's happening to me?

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Go to your local GC, and listen to the wankers...then go home and play.:D

Sometimes it's nice to take a break, or play acoustic for a bit. Try playing a different style, or listening to someone you've never heard play...Al DiMeola, Robert Fripp, Joe Bonamassa, etc.

Then get back on the horse.

Cheers!

BB

That's the best idea yet! :rofl:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Ive been trying to play the past few days. Its just not happening. Im not depressed or anything. well...maybe stressed from work, but I try to de-stress by picking up my guitar and playing. But lately, its just not happening anymore. Im only able to play a few notes, 3 or 4 chords, and then Im not interested anymore. I dont know what to play, how to play the songs I want, and its just getting so frustrating. Should i just hang up the towel for a while and put away my guitar? Or do I continue to force the issue that somehow, it might just start to click again? Does anyone here also experience this? Help out a fellow MLP. :(:confused:

Sorry to have to say this belzeebub old chap but it seems to me you are suffering from the dreaded 'Dayjobitus'. Personally I have never done a proper day job since I left school back in around 1962, but I have seen many a good man stricken down with this ailment.
You need inspiration from like-minded people and the only way you'll achieve that is to have a goal to work toward with others, be it only a gig at a local jam night.
If you are interested in aircraft and want to learn to fly, you don't hang around golf clubs and visa versa.
Isolation is one of the biggest killers of musical inspiration. It's a bit like practising tennis in front of the mirror in your bedroom. Sooner or later you are going to come to a grinding halt and feel like throwing the bloody racket out of the window. At some point you must get out and get a game in with someone on a real tennis court.

What's going on in your job has probably taken over everything else.
Shit! I feel for you man. I could never do a day job and play guitar as much as I do. It would do my fucking brain in.
I am very lucky that people talking music 24/7 surround my working and social life. I don't have to go into a firm and listen to some arsehole with a laser pointer waffling away about meeting targets for the firm." You must achieve more. More.More". I know I'd last about a week, if that without being fired. :laugh2:

Don't give up... Get out there and meet some fresh people, with fresh ideas and a goal. I'm telling ya man. That's the only way.

If it's any consolation, even pros feel like chucking it all in the bin at times. Everyone comes up against a hurdle. You just have to get over that hurdle and keep riding. I often tell my pupils it's like watching a horse race from above. The guy who shoots out first rarely wins. You see a whole group approach the first fence and bang! Four go down. The same at the second and third fence etc. The winner is usually the guy who paces the race and doesn't tire the horse out. He's rarely over the last fence first either, but jockeys into position for that last leg. Then makes his move.... Bingo!

I expect to see another cheerier post from you soon with pics from your gig.

Go for it..........

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Its like any Art, you go through periods
take advantage of the time to do other stuff
tll the urge comes back

ozone

Reaction score
I'm just getting over that hump. I've had it once before. It was for me just a time to break from it. But inspiration will hit again just be patient and keep an open mind.
Good Luck.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don't give up... Get out there and meet some fresh people, with fresh ideas and a goal. I'm telling ya man. That's the only way.

When I run into that problem I start pushing my music in new directions....listen to some different style of music (listen too chinese trad. music)...work on theory insteed...a good one for me is I work on another insterment......trust me something will get you going

remember music is art and you can draw on other artist realms...

I used to sit at the computer and look at paintings online and improve music to the painting....

also a good free jam with someone can help...let go of all those notions of what to play and just play

Belzeebub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all the advice and support guys. This is why I think MLP is the best forum period. Yeah, I think I need to give it a break. I dont play pro or even belong to a band. What I have are downloaded backing tracks and thats what I jam with. I havent been to a local jam night in ages, not been out to see live acts in 7 years, or anything - come to think about it now.

Guido

The Gweeeed
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dont get frustrated or desperated. I think everyone need a break sometimes, just hang the guitar for not a long time and do things you usually dont do. I thing that would help, and help get some inspiration also ;).
Good luck, tell us how it ends! :D

Phil47uk

Reaction score
When I run into that problem I start pushing my music in new directions....listen to some different style of music (listen too chinese trad. music)...work on theory insteed...a good one for me is I work on another insterment......trust me something will get you going

remember music is art and you can draw on other artist realms...

I used to sit at the computer and look at paintings online and improve music to the painting....

also a good free jam with someone can help...let go of all those notions of what to play and just play

The only way I think that one can improve their musical talents is get out there and play...:laugh2:

Reaction score
I go through it now and again.

What has been helping me is the blues jam I go to every week. I was strictly a rock guitar player before this. I never new how to improvise until I started jamming with these old kats. I learned alot from jamming with them.

I just started a rock band with my twin bro and 2 of my friends so I've been having a lot of inspiration lately.

One thing I use to do also was go to Guitar Center and pick up an instructional dvd of something new to learn.

arcanis494

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This happens to me all the time. I draw for a few days and then I come back fresh.
Good Luck

Latest Threads