Whats an epiphone Elitist????

rudarb

Reaction score
Hi,

I know ill get a few people who will look at this and think I dont know anything, but just listen. Whenever im on here I see a lot of Epiphone LP "elitists", now ive never heard of them, NEVER, and I know quite a bit about guitars. Can someone explain to me what they are, and if theyre even made anymore???

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Epiphone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Imperial Series and Elitist

"During the mid 1990s Epiphone released a series called the Imperial Series. These were remakes of the classic Epiphone archtops of the 1930's and 40's. Each instrument was hand made in the Fujigen Workshop in Japan. This short lived series was discontinued in 1993, after only 42 Emperor's were made. Several other models, including De Luxe, Broadway and Triumph models, were also produced in varying quantities.

Epiphone later released a series of guitars called the Elitist series (originally called Elite but changed to avoid confusion with Ovation's Elite model). These were made to very high specifications in Japan but some parts are made in other countries, including the USA and Germany. These guitars cost more than twice as much as Standard Epiphone guitars. Standard Epiphone and Gibson guitars have an open-book headstock, but Elitist models have a more curved style dating back to the Epiphone Masterbilt series of guitars. The Elitist series was discontinued in 2008."

rudarb

Reaction score
Epiphone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Imperial Series and Elitist

"During the mid 1990s Epiphone released a series called the Imperial Series. These were remakes of the classic Epiphone archtops of the 1930's and 40's. Each instrument was hand made in the Fujigen Workshop in Japan. This short lived series was discontinued in 1993, after only 42 Emperor's were made. Several other models, including De Luxe, Broadway and Triumph models, were also produced in varying quantities.

Epiphone later released a series of guitars called the Elitist series (originally called Elite but changed to avoid confusion with Ovation's Elite model). These were made to very high specifications in Japan but some parts are made in other countries, including the USA and Germany. These guitars cost more than twice as much as Standard Epiphone guitars. Standard Epiphone and Gibson guitars have an open-book headstock, but Elitist models have a more curved style dating back to the Epiphone Masterbilt series of guitars. The Elitist series was discontinued in 2008."

Okay, thanks, now wonder ive never seen any

VastHorizon

Reaction score
This:

Epi&

DSC00876.jpg

DSC00834.jpg

DSC00948.jpg

DSC00897.jpg

VastHorizon

Reaction score
The epiphone elitists, I understand that they are more closely watched when they are made but, will that really help any? I mean I know there are some bad ones out there but wouldn't it sound just like any regular (good) Epi?

Attention to quality and detail by the Japanese is topnotch.
More closely watched = better attention to both detail and quality.
The product of our Japanese friends are comparable to the ones that come out of the Gibson Custom Shop without the burden of the price.
They may not really "appreciate" in price, but they are for the players who seek great tone and build quality at a very decent price.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No.

It has more to do with the materials used.

2 piece solid African Mahogany backs on the Elitists, and 3-6 piece furniture grade "industrial mahogany" on the Epis. One piece necks with correct Gibson headstock angle and truss rod and long neck tenons on the Elitists, 2 piece + heel w/ shallow headstock and asian style truss rod, mostly short or trans tenons on Epi. Bone nut on Elitists, plastic on Epis. USA pickups and Japanese electronics on Elitist, Chinese on Epi. Real maple cap on Elitists, veneer on Epis. ABR bridge on Elitists, large post metric on Epis. There really isn't anything similar between the Elitists and Epis other than body shape. The Elitists are far superior - that is the honest truth.

VastHorizon

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more.

No.

It has more to do with the materials used.

2 piece solid African Mahogany backs on the Elitists, and 3-6 piece furniture grade "industrial mahogany" on the Epis. One piece necks with correct Gibson headstock angle and truss rod on the Elitists, 2 piece + heel w/ shallow headstock and asian style truss rod. Bone nut on Elitists, plastic on Epis. USA pickups and Japanese electronics on Elitist, Chinese on Epi. Real maple cap on Elitists, veneer on Epis. ABR bridge on Elitists, large post metric on Epis. There really isn't anything similar between the Elitists and Epis other than body shape. The Elitists are far superior - that is the honest truth.

stryker59

Reaction score
That is awesome!!!!!:laugh2:
(lets get back on subject...)
ok.

The epiphone elitists, I understand that they are more closely watched when they are made but, will that really help any? I mean I know there are some bad ones out there but wouldn't it sound just like any regular (good) Epi?

its not just a case of they were more closely watched. the elitists were crafted in japan with more hands on luthiery skill and used african mahagany and real maple tops(the flametop models had a veneer over the real maple). the pickups were US made and the components and hardware were much better than the china made epi's. the specs of the elitists are very close to the gibson historics. these arent your run of the mill epis.

my 2004 epi elite custom:
IMG_1724.jpg
IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg
IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg
IMG_1730.jpg

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
These two are killer:

DSCN2747.jpg

I was offered a strait across trade, my Elitist Standard for a Gibson Les Paul Classic GT, by a guy on the forum here. I didn't bat an eye when I said "thanks, but no thanks!"

slimjoel14

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHA LMFAO damn i wish i got to this thread sooner i swear i was gonna put "inb4dennispounces" DAMN ya beat me to it heheheh

Latest Threads